Sub 250g build - Complete with FPV, GPS, RTH, etc. Outlaw250 by XJet

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The point of this thread is to document my attempt at building a Long Range FPV GPS, Return to Home Platform coming in weighing less than 250g.
my initial attempt will start with Xjet's guide.

25g - ZOHD Kopilot Lite system - For stability, RTH, and GPS etc.
4g - TX06 AIO FPV system.
15g - 3 - 5g Servos
30g - F-Pack Radial,
6g - 6x4.5 prop
12g - 20a esc with BEC
47g - 450mah 3S LIPO battery.
10g - RX Receiver
149g

95g Airframe uses 3/4 of a sheet of DTFB weighing in at 85g + 10g of hot glue

Total Weight - 244g

Possible ways to save weight. - Remove paper in the step. ~20g,
cut holes in the Tail section ~5-15g
Use an 1806 2300kv motor ~10g

This is a decent Guide too: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3575891

Not quite Inav but close... I think I should be able to replace the Kopilot with a 20mm F7 board with iNav

Pieliker96

Elite member
Removing paper is a great way to save weight. I've quantified it as approximately half (within a couple percent) of the weight in DTFB is in the paper. If you can get one side peeled, you can save ~25%. Two sides cuts the weight in half (~50%). Other weight-saving measures (if it comes down to it) include cutting the heatshrink off the ESC and de-casing the RX.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Any reason to not use a wing?
my serial receiver is only ~ 2g
(and my normal one is ~8g)

Use an 1806 2300kv motor ~10g should be sufficient for this size craft (with a 6x3 at 3s, it gets about 400g of thrust. I FPV around 40% throttle on the plan in my PfP with that motor/prop combo)

you can use guerrilla glue instead of hot glue to cut most of the glue weight out

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the plane in my PfP is 222g with a 3s650g (to use as a reference for weight).. I don't have a flight control board, but I do have 4 servos and I found a flight controller board that would only net me +2g when switching to serial receiver over a normal one.

I do have paper removed on the inside of the wing and tail booms

FoamyDM

Any reason to not use a wing?
my serial receiver is only ~ 2g
(and my normal one is ~8g)

Use an 1806 2300kv motor ~10g should be sufficient for this size craft (with a 6x3 at 3s, it gets about 400g of thrust. I FPV around 40% throttle on the plan in my PfP with that motor/prop combo)

you can use guerrilla glue instead of hot glue to cut most of the glue weight out
Great tips! I May rebuild. Or post the plan of what I did. The wing is 10"x30" folding over 3.3".

I plan to make a wing next. Easy to make a 1/2 sheet

FoamyDM

Yup. Field home. Disinfect.
I sped up the middle part 3:20-440 I think.
So you don't have to sit through all of it, yet still watch