Such a COOL Community.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Psyborg (Bill),
I just caught up on this thread. I'm with you. This communities positive spirit, generosity of knowledge and encouragement has been the thing keeping me in the Hobby at points. I have an easy tendency to let the failures take hold. As a Dad, it's not the example I wish to set. I LOVE to build. LOVE. (did I say LOVE?). and the challenge of successful flight is a driving force. I occasionally do a "look at the Jones" sideways glances at the successes here and get hard on myself. but, I post, Share the story with a heavy heart and a light tone. and after this community steps in.

I'd like to say, your cub looks amazing. Great job! If you lived closer, I'd demand you visit my field's cub Fly event for the laughs and crashing we'd do at the event.

If you want a laugh, look at my Cub Maiden I did yesterday! I crashed that son of a squirrel about 4 times. and I pucker hard EVERY hand launch, I like you, have two options throw like an untrained chimp, with control, or a well aimed solid toss with no control.
-FoamyDM

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Your cub looks great. Rasterize does great work with those skins.

I did not build this cub. It is a balsa build by Turbojoe here on the forums.

I just managed to break it my second time out with it after all the years Joe flew it no problems.

Got props on the way and as soon as they arrive and weather cooperates this and my edge build will feel the air once more.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yay!!!!!
Props are here!!!

Boooooooo.....
Was crazy gusty today.

Sunday looks decent for another attempt at plankaging. I will try to get the motor mount on the edge done tomorrow so both the cub and it will be ready to go.

I also may be able to talk a friend into dragging out his yet I so I can try chase footage with the quads as well as be able to get to larger areas to fly.

PoorManRC

Master member
WOW!!! I just posted my introduction, and am taking a look around, and found THIS!
Now, I can't WAIT to be able to share with the fantastic people in this Community... Sadly my situation says that I have to wait a while. I have been into RC Ground for nearly 4 Decades, but brand spanking new to Flight.
..... unless you count the 1:1 versions!

Like you, I've got nothing to "play with", yet. But before I was fully IN the Forum, a great Guy named Tim, already hooked me up with a few valuable bits to begin building with!!
I had mentioned it in my intro, and it's worth saying again. This is one GREAT Group of Guys that I've just fell into the mix with!!(y)(y):cool:

I'm going to be proud to call all of you, Friends!
@PsyBorg - I hope to see you in the Air soon!

~ Carmine

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Welcome from an even older fart who lives half a world away.

When looking for a radio to get you started on the cheap look at the FlySky/Turnigy iA6 the best bang for buck I have seen. I now have 2 of them with a buddy box cable for instruction purposes.

Like you I am also financially disadvantaged but just look for a local club to plug into and you would be surprised how generous some people can be. I have a wall full of aircraft that were gifted to me, (albeit in pieces), and I have managed to repair them all.

Definitely do your learning on a FT design that you build yourself as the costs are the lowest and the path to learning can be so short!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
@Hai-Lee - I can't WAIT to get started!! Thank you. I'm a 54 year old Child at times... Discovering THIS Group, Blog, Website, Store and YouTube Channel, has definitely brought out the Kid in me again!

My Wife and I have been BOMBARDED with an unbelievable Series of Tragedies over the past 5 years (seriously, nobody believes it!).
I have a strong feeling that THIS may be what the Doctor ordered.

I've seen and heard about the Flysky i6 series. VERY impressed, especially for the price. Sadly, as reasonable as it is, it will be a struggle to get that much money anytime soon...

However, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing, reading and learning, as much as fast as I can. Gonna play with a couple of Chucking Aircraft, to get comfortable with the Builds.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Thanks for a good laugh, I have a problem with those (not so little in my case) brown spiders. recently one tried to make a home in my desk, I must have swatted him 25 times it freaked me out so bad.
I used to have similar problems... I was just lying down on the couch one day when a spider came down from the ceiling and almost landed on my face. It escaped me when I tried to swat it, and it was missing until last month when I saw it on a wall and smashed it. I looked at the paper that I smashed it with, and to my surprise, it was still alive and escaped AGAIN. I am now on the hunt for spiders, and that spider won’t get away again.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee - I can't WAIT to get started!! Thank you. I'm a 54 year old Child at times... Discovering THIS Group, Blog, Website, Store and YouTube Channel, has definitely brought out the Kid in me again!

My Wife and I have been BOMBARDED with an unbelievable Series of Tragedies over the past 5 years (seriously, nobody believes it!).
I have a strong feeling that THIS may be what the Doctor ordered.

I've seen and heard about the Flysky i6 series. VERY impressed, especially for the price. Sadly, as reasonable as it is, it will be a struggle to get that much money anytime soon...

However, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing, reading and learning, as much as fast as I can. Gonna play with a couple of Chucking Aircraft, to get comfortable with the Builds.
As for a "Chuck" build I recommend you look at the FT Tiny Trainer. When you finally get some gear to go RC the Tiny Trainer is a great trainer and of course fully compatible with RC.

If you were on this side of the world I would offer some free, (old but functional), radio gear but the freight costs are beyond the means of us both. Perhaps with you being a Vet someone local to you could make a similar offer!

I took up RC (this time around) because of what trauma can do to you life and your mental state. Believe it or not over the same 5 year period. Being 62+ now it is too late to start over so I now just concentrate on RC and to help others where possible.

Have fun! (By the way - Welcome)

PoorManRC

Master member
If you were on this side of the world I would offer some free, (old but functional), radio gear but the freight costs are beyond the means of us both. Perhaps with you being a Vet someone local to you could make a similar offer!

I took up RC (this time around) because of what trauma can do to you life and your mental state. Believe it or not over the same 5 year period. Being 62+ now it is too late to start over so I now just concentrate on RC and to help others where possible.

Have fun! (By the way - Welcome)

Thank you so much!!! I would feel terrible with you spending THAT much on Shipping...
Just the thought, was heartwarming!

I'm definitely NOT going to flat out ask someone for a RX/TX Set. I was Raised several years before that became "fashionable"....
In my condition, it wouldn't behoove me to turn anything down, but whimpering and begging are things that I won't do!

Maybe someone closer has a spare 4+ Channel Radio... Maybe they don't. Just your OFFER, perked me up!!
I'm thinking way ahead, but I'm hoping by some point, I'll be able to Pay it Forward to someone who needs it, needs something out of my current assorted junk...
Or maybe my experiences might add something to someone's predicament. Something! ;)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank you so much!!! I would feel terrible with you spending THAT much on Shipping...
Just the thought, was heartwarming!

I'm definitely NOT going to flat out ask someone for a RX/TX Set. I was Raised several years before that became "fashionable"....
In my condition, it wouldn't behoove me to turn anything down, but whimpering and begging are things that I won't do!

Maybe someone closer has a spare 4+ Channel Radio... Maybe they don't. Just your OFFER, perked me up!!
I'm thinking way ahead, but I'm hoping by some point, I'll be able to Pay it Forward to someone who needs it, needs something out of my current assorted junk...
Or maybe my experiences might add something to someone's predicament. Something! ;)
I started out rough and club members unloaded a lot of their old stuff, including planes, old radio gear, and even the odd battery!

Now I am a committee member, instructor, designer and mentor to the club. (All those years in the RAAF are actually paying off). I design, make and gift planes to those starting out now and even sell a few in the local retail market!

Hang in there! I challenge the FT community to see if anyone wishes to part with an old Tx/Rx to a veteran in hard times. We all know flying can be therapeutic, (and bloody frustrating at times).

I am sure there is some radio gear just gathering dust somewhere in the US!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Poormanrc,

PM me with your address. I've got an older flysky I'll send you with the receivers. Make sure you range check them. There is one that is glitchy, the rest should be good.
You are truly a person of note! May the generosity of others follow you for the remainder of your days! You have gained something I give out sparingly, "My respect and admiration".

I would shake your hand if I could! WELL DONE!

Have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
Ok... I managed to get the video off my camera, onto my computer, then on to this phone without converting anything.

It took near two hours to upload 280 meg... No way Id try to up load a gig or more that way hehe.

Anyway here is my goofy nervous self breaking the cub.

It looks a lot like the elevator was reversed to me. I slowed it down and watched it frame by frame. I'm pretty sure that the elevatot didn't go yo at all. Just after impact, it looks like it's down.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It looks a lot like the elevator was reversed to me. I slowed it down and watched it frame by frame. I'm pretty sure that the elevatot didn't go yo at all. Just after impact, it looks like it's down.

I will only assume you skipped the entire video up to the flight parts since you dont mention the parts where I show cg AND control surface checks to make sure a simple mistake like that was not made as I have reversed ailerons before and put a plane in the air.

@PoorManRC its all good mate this is more about the giving spirit of the community then my sad skills flying fixed wing.

I was lazy and did not start a new thread about actually using these amazing gifts.

PoorManRC

Master member
The giving Spirit is Mind Blowingly unbelievable here!!! I will NEVER forget any of this, and look forward to when I can start reciprocating!!! (y)(y)

I also look forward to being able to fly amazing Birds like yours!
Cheers!!