Suggestion: Painting-fomaies tutorial

emp77

Hi there!

I have a suggestion for a forthcoming episode: do a foamie-painting tutorial. I noticed your foamies are always excellently painted, so therefore I assume you have some hints which could be useful to share.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Actually there was a small clip about that in a recent video. The key to success is few light passes.

Anthemius

hello
That would be a great idea.

i use spray acrilyque paint from liquitex that i fond in france (cultura shop) its work fine

o0Jack0o

I just tried painting a foamboard plane for the first time just using krylon and testor using pulses about 8 inces away. Guess I was too impatient and too heavy, it warped in more that a few places with the krylon, none with the testor spots (though they were small.) :) heres to the next one being better! Cheers

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I just tried painting a foamboard plane for the first time just using krylon and testor using pulses about 8 inces away. Guess I was too impatient and too heavy, it warped in more that a few places with the krylon, none with the testor spots (though they were small.) :) heres to the next one being better! Cheers

Look for Krylon H2O. It will not melt foam.

Alternately you can coat with Minwax Polycrylic then paint as you desire. The Polycrylic protects the foam. Be careful to thoroughly cover with polycrylic so the paint cannot touch bare foam.

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The problem is the paint might not melt the foam, the propellant is what does the damage.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Bottom line is: nearly any paint can be used on foam BUT TECHNIQUE is EVERYTHING! Different paints require different techniques and as always YMMV! Best results are always obtainable after a lot of practice with an airbrush (but proper care and feeding of an airbrush is a deep subject).

Thurmond

tramsgar

Thanks for the links, flyingmonkey. I remember requesting the same thing back when they made the weathered plane video, to show more actual techniques and not just the results. Bixler's said several times that he loves painting his planes, and obviously both he and Chad know a lot about painting - so bring on the quick tips please!