Suggestion: While you guys are out touring the country in the FT RV...

As you guys take the FT experience on the road in the future you could drop in on some of the notable foam-board wizards that produce and share so much great content on the forums:

I'd like to meet the guys in their own creative eco-systems: with a sort of "in the workshop" interview, showing off the shop space, and past creations and design/build methodology, a "Lets Build" session, putting a new and unique project together, followed up with a "Lets-Fly" at the guy's home field, with local flying buddies along for the fun.

I'd love to see the Father/Son team from FliteFest, with the large scale Foker and WACO Bipes....maybe Flying Penquin showing off his Sketchup skills, or Crafty Dan? Whats his home build-tent look like?

I'd watch it.

Thanks Guys.

DG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oh good grief . . . you mean I've got to clean up that wreck of a room for company?!?!?!?!?

(I don't mind so much the mess . . . you guys are always welcome and all . . . but my wife . . . )

Dan, I was thinking just the core FT crew and camera, But if you're inviting us all over for CraftyFest 2014 next week, I'm all in!

Seriously: there is so much unique talent and energy out there, the FT team only has to tap into it, and film the results to make a great product.

Kind of like a celebrity chef meeting up with a TV or movie star, in their home kitchen, putting together a meal from one of Mom's secret recipes, and enjoying it with a nice wine, out on the patio.... Dang, I'm hungry.

DG

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ha! I would watch that. I love seeing other builder's shops and see if its chaos or organized.

Not to be self-centered or an egomaniac but The FT crew and anyone else would be welcome at my home to see me in my element. Not to mention I make a killer chocolate cheesecake. I also think it would be good for others to see how I incorporate my hobby into my family life, where they have no interest in the hobby. I offer, but they are usually fine doing their own thing.

I feel there is a misconception that you have to get your family involved with what you are doing in order to validate that its a good thing. I know there are some guys who give up on an interest just because they think that is detracts from their family. My family supports me in my hobby and thinks its fun that I have something like it.

Thanks for the support guys! Wilsonman, I'd watch your episode! I enjoy my time in the shop, alone for the most part, The few times I've had my son build alongside me (he downloaded traced and built an FTviggen) were some of my best moments in the hobby.
Celebrating his 17th birthday at flitefest was a phenomenal experience.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
LOL!

"Craftyfest" is most every Monday and Thursday night out at Deputy field from after dinner to dusk . . . but sadly no build tent -- it's pretty much just me and whomever else flying the day's stress away :cool:

I joke, but I do try to keep my home open to whomever and the mess to livable levels (it's a wreck ATM, but I just finished a DLG kit). While I appreciate the sentiment, I am genuinely humbled by the builders I've seen around this forum. Frankly if *anyone* isn't humbled by the posts around here in some way -- building, piloting, creativity or general good-heartedness -- they simply aren't paying attention to the people around them.

I'm a hack builder in comparison to many, but I have fun in what I do and I share what I can. My build space here ain't that interesting or clever, but I enjoy it :)

Now Wilsonman's workspace . . . ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
designgeek, funny you should mention this...

I actually suggested a sort of FT Cribs, episode series to Josh while I was up there.

Also, they want to stop at a few locations along the road trip, and have little build sessions that they can film and make into an episode. We should be creating a forum section for this soon. That way we can make some arrangements for the guys to stay at fields along the projected route.

Wilsonman... where do you live?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I love this idea. But I wouldn't want the FT crew checking out my place. It would be utterly disappointing. I can imagine it now. "Here is the card table I have set up in the living room way too often and it's always a mess. Half the time I'm glad to get it cleared off and put away just so It's not in the way anymore." "And here is the shed that I had to get a ladder out and climb on top of twice because I accidentally landed on it." "And here is the only tree that I've even landed a plane in."

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Fred, I live in central MD. Frederick area. Very near major highways and only about 10 minutes from my flying field. I'm really very fortunate. While my Club's field is not the best it works for my size and is just a beautiful place to fly. Rolling hills and pretty trees. Its great. My wife loves to come out with the kids from time to time just to enjoy the scenery and let the kids run around if the field is not too busy. We are having a turkey fry and fly in November if anyone is interested. Small group of guys but its good fun and if you have never had a fried turkey... good eats.

Dan, I totally agree. Some seriously creative folks here and I too am humbled at the ability of some folks to build so quickly. A bit envious at times. I'm by no means a "top shelf" builder. I just do what I love. Most of my subjects are planes I've dreamed of building when I was a kid. I am one of 11 children so there was not any $ for a hobby then. Part of why I build on the cheap. I like scale but I'm very frugal with how I build. Other folks seemingly have gobs of income to spend on the hobby but I have sufficient for my needs. I too love to share what I've learned because its an opportunity to get others a jump start on what has taken me years to get to.

At any rate I would love so see episodes like this. Many MANY great people here. It would be nice to see media take on a showcase of "the average joe."

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I love this idea. But I wouldn't want the FT crew checking out my place. It would be utterly disappointing.

I imagine you're not that alone ;)

This is a hobby -- we make do with what we have. Some people would look at my build area and be thrilled with it, some would look at it and wonder how anything gets done . . . I've looked at it and thought both, sometimes at the same time. One of my flying buddies has been building record-setting indoor models on his computer desk and livingroom floor . . . We take what we bring and make something of it.

the more I think about it, seeing the glam-pimped-out workshops may make for better footage . . . but seeing the corner of a room table and the clever things people have done to make-do is where the truly useful ideas are born :)

It's not what you have to work with, it's what you do with it. Some people have incredible shops with loads of space and every conceivable tool--- others do impressive work on the kitchen table... For me it's about the people, and the unique One-off designs.

I think its interesting to show how far you can go with the hobby- with Purpose built RC shop trailers, thousands of dollars and years spent building shop space, CNC equipment etc. It's better still to showcase how much fun and satisfaction you can have with a few resources, and lots of creative drive. The last thing you want to do is send the message that you HAVE to have oodles of money, tools or equipment to have a good time.

DG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Agreed Dan. The majority of tools that I have built has come from scraps. Two of my hot wire cutting tools came from scraps. My bungee launcher has scraps. Even my servo extensions are made from old IDE cables form computers I salvage. I have a whole stack of popsicle sticks that used to have popsicles on them! I at least have leftovers of a tasty treat when I crash!!! I have storage bins and even an entire plane that I saved from the trash. Recently I made contact with a contractor who specializes in home retrofits for energy efficiency. I'm working on getting a supply of foam scraps... FOR FREE! I've seen many other folks on this very forum who are even more resourceful than me. Part of the reason I've really migrated over to this forum full-time from another forum.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I too am very humbled by some of the guys on here. I may spend too much time on this forum, but I don't always build or even have a flyable plane. Like right now I have an almost finished plane and a stack of planes I still have to part out. But when I do have a flyable plane, I do fly the hell out of it.

And the plane I'm almost finished with is a new design that already has a big flaw... the wings are too far forward. So I have to either start over or put too much weight in the nose. :rolleyes: The plane can't handle any more weight so I think I have to start over. But that's the joy of designing.