Super Cheap Cessna

pitts special

Time to build a cowl

I was at walmart and I saw a fiber glass repair kit for fourteen bucks, so I bought it. I am going give fiber glassing a try and hopefully make a nice cowl for the Cessna, hopefully.
IMG_1959 (600x800).jpg
I read some were about using foam for the mold. After you fiber glass the foam mold, you dissolve the foam with acetone and your left with a fiberglass cowl. It sounds simple enough. I will make sure to take pics.:cool:

pitts special

I just finished the cowl it still needs paint. For my first try it looks okay. Here are the building pics, enjoy.

IMG_1960 (600x800).jpg
marking the foam mold
IMG_1961 (800x600).jpg
cutting it with the hot wire
IMG_1966 (800x600).jpg
fiber glassing the mold
IMG_1964 (800x600).jpg
more fiber glassing
IMG_1967 (800x600).jpg
foam mold dissolved
IMG_1968 (800x600).jpg
testing the cowl
IMG_1969 (800x600).jpg
just need paint:D
IMG_1971 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1970 (600x800).jpg

That's awesome. I've got 3 weed eater motors down the shed that I've been wondering what to do with. I'd always thought they would be too heavy. Time to have a look at some of those plans.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
How do you keep the sand bound for sand casting. That has always been mysterious to me.

A bit late in my reply but:

Old way was motor oil and sand and as you can imaging it was a smoking mess when the hot metal hit it. I prefer investment casting with plaster but the plug has to be burned out of the mold either before (more difficult to burn out plug material) or during casting (lost foam).

Thurmond

KLJ4CCH

I am wondering why you inverted the engine? The weedeaters I fly are vertical. Seems super cool though! What kind of pistons did you use to increase compression? I wanna add some power to my 25cc :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p I wanna make it hover!! hahaha

also BEAUTIFUL BUILD!

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I am wondering why you inverted the engine? The weedeaters I fly are vertical.
That's the correct engine position for that model. Most gas engine'd planes position the cylinder pointing down. If the cylinder was pointing up he'd have to cut a nasty hole in the top of his cowl. Also this points the exhaust downward, too.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
First of all, this is really cool! I noticed you were using a stock 9X Tx/Rx setup. Not to "rain on the parade" but I didn't think it was recommended to use this Tx/Rx setup on gassers like this. Am I wrong? I use the same Tx/Rx (6 channel version) setup on my planes, but I believe the lack of failsafe in its stock configuration was one of the reasons for this recommendation.

Last edited: