Super Cub LP Mod - Build Talk

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Josh and David discuss the details of the build process of the Super Cub LP as it gets modified with a brushless outrunner motor, split flaps and ailerons!

The time-lapse video covers about a 5 hr build time for the modifications and assembly of this R/C airplane.

supercub-lp-4-jpg_1368462631.jpg

Here you can see the split flaps in action!

supercub-lp-2-jpg_1368462667.jpg

The Super Cub LP is a fun airplane to fly and the new modifications make it even better!

We hope you enjoyed the new format of this episode. Let us know if you'd like to see us do more of these Build Talk's in the future!

Some Items mentioned in this episode:
Super Cub LP BNF
Turnigy Park480 Brushless Outrunner 1020kv
Flap Hinge (Hatch Hinge 27x10.5mm)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
How didI beat the teach here?
I love my cub,and now I have a great mod job!
Excellent as always!

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
And beat me too?
Excellent- That little cub is one of my favorite planes.
I'm not mad at it anymore, this might be the inspiration I need to fix it again :)

Matt

As far as the format, Chad’s big on the “experience” (with the speed-build kits and such), right? One of the valuable things about your normal format is its inclusive/welcoming feel. First impression, I think the commentary from a distance placed me here instead of there, remote. If David just popped the GoPro out while he was playing around, I think its great! Shoot the projects even if, perhaps, they were unplanned.

(If you have old footage pull it out and run with the commentary! You might tick manufacturers off, but I would personally love to see a montage of planes that stunk. Blame it all on David and post it when he’s back in Sweden, out of range!

All of this is my HUMBLE opinion; you guys have nudged out Top Gear in my favorite well casted, high quality, cool toy, guy show category! …and my kids can watch it with me.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I must say though, please stay with the old format, I watch flitetest because this type of video looks unprofessional and shoddy.
The old build format is much better.
Or, please use your regular camera, this one looked like 240p.
Still, nice job David, I tried flaps inverted with a flyzone sensei...
I dropped a 2200 3 cell out the battery hatch at the same time.
EDIT: Computer said it was in 1080P, but played in 240, Sorry guys!

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I would observe that the new format is probably MUCH lest costly than the other format and although I like it a little I am not sure that the old format does not offer more to the viewer.

Thurmond

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
If production costs are much lower, great.

Please though, use a better camera on a tripod or what ever you are using if possible.
So many people have commented that they watch Flitetest because of the production quality.
Is it good if its cheaper, but you lose some of your fan base?

As I Edited above, part of my concern was due to an error with my browser, but after refreshing, I realized that only the build needs a slightly better Camera.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
It was a good episode, but I do like the old format much better.

It seems that David did not remember what the length of the aileron was. With the old format he would have been talking about what he was doing as he did it.

I do understand that this may be a cheaper way to go, but I agree with Matt above, that the " normal format is its inclusive/welcoming feel" that this one not so much.

The other thing is the camera on David and Josh is much too "fisheye" and just doesn't look right.

It is only my opinion, and you guys still put together the best RC videos on the net.

Thanks and I will continue to watch and see what surprises are next!!!

earthsciteach

How didI beat the teach here?

I've been very, very sick for the past week and completely off my game.

So glad to see the Cub back in the spotlight! Definitely need to upsize those ailerons. My flaperons are WAY bigger and my roll rate is NOT anemic! I clipped the center section out of my wing, so that does help roll rate. And it still has puhlenty of lift.

I'm fine with the new format, but perhaps it could be "punched up a bit." I do wonder if the time lapse video leaves out some details that may be helpful to newer folks. I would have liked to have seen more detail of David's motor mount.

In the end, this video makes me want to build another SC. Lord knows I've rebuilt mine enough!

johanjonker

I liked the older format more.. but then I don't like change much.. it took me 4 years to try electric.. xD (and only because of FT do I really started to like it.)

Corbarrad

This is no longer available at Horizon Hobbies. Anywhere else to purchase it?

I don't think Horizon shares their molds with other distributors like a lot of companies do.

Still, there's plenty of other Cub style foamies out there that can be modified in a similar way if they don't come with the added features right of the box..

slyke

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you had the Servo tester hooked up to for a power supply?

Thanks
You can use the throttle output from an ESC hooked up to a battery. My problem is I would forget to unplug it and drain the battery. I had a small charger with a USB output (maybe from an old Sony phone?) so I cut off the end of the cable an soldered on a servo cable.
-Stephen

JustinBauer

Thanks Stephen, my goal is to hook it up to a power supply so I don't need to worry about having a battery hooked up to it. The device says 3 to 12.6 V input. No amp rating is given. Is there a set standard for these devices for amps?

Torf

Thanks Stephen, my goal is to hook it up to a power supply so I don't need to worry about having a battery hooked up to it. The device says 3 to 12.6 V input. No amp rating is given. Is there a set standard for these devices for amps?

Most of the common smaller BECs are 1-2 Amps, which is enough to power several small servos simultaneously. I don't know what your needs are, but most of the smaller commonly used servos on FT planes would be served just fine on a 1-2 Amp power supply.

slyke

I would check the voltage range the servos can handle before using anything higher than 6 volts. A 9g servo only draws about 150mA if the plane is sitting on your workbench.
-Stephen