Super Cub Tube-O-Fun bomb drop mod

earthsciteach

I'm making progress on the tube that will be slung underneath the Super Cub. The tube is a toilet paper roll that hangs on foam board cradles attached to a basswood flange. A servo will be mounted in the flange to actuate doors at each end of the tube. The flange will screw directly onto the battery box attachment points. This will allow it to be easily removable and pretty much a self-contained item.
Drop Tube1.jpg
Drop Tube and mounting flange

Drop Tube2.jpg
Bottom of mounting flange (1/8" basswood) with servo hole

Drop Tube3.jpg
Mounting flange with servo.

I'm working out the hinge for the doors at the moment. I'll post up pics when have it assembled.

earthsciteach

I've completed the door assembly. The tube is sitting on the cradle upside down for the purpose of pics. Actually, the cradle is sitting upside down on the table and the tube is sitting upside down on the upside down cradle, which means its really right side up!

I've decided against a door at each end. While it certainly would help the removal of the contents, having a door at each end actuated by the same servo would make filling the tube very difficult. So, the front end will have a nose cone for aerodynamics and to give a more bomb-like appearance. I like to think of that as an "intimidation factor." I'll vent the nose so some air will still blow through the tube.

Attachments

• Tube Door1.JPG
    Tube Door1.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Tube Door2.jpg
    Tube Door2.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 45

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
If you can find the right size squishy rubber ball it would make a perfect nose cone, or maybe a Styrofoam ball like used for Christmas decorations (craft store)

earthsciteach

The door? It fits well. And, I will be able to adjust positioning such that the servo provides positive pressure when in the neutral position.

earthsciteach

Hollow Point

I've made a nose for the tube. Looks pretty lethal to me.

Attachments

• Hollow Point.jpg
    Hollow Point.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 36

earthsciteach

Gave it a quick paint job. The spray can was almost empty, so I'll pick up more OD paint tomorrow and put on another coat. The tube will blend right in with the Cubby's belly. He'll never see it coming!

Attachments

• Painted Tube.jpg
    Painted Tube.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 44

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Put some fins on it or something lol. Definitely don't want to pilot the big black #@$% lol.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If it doesn't work out maybe you could rig a pin release and drop it in a flaming bag.

earthsciteach

I wouldn't want any premature ignition with that bag. Don't want to turn my Cub into goo! Buwaaaahhh haaa haa haa