Super cub

asoulsdream

I have crashed this planes so many times, I fly my Sky Surfer/Bixler with little to no crashes but when I fly my super cub I feel like I just dont have the control that i do with the Sky Surfer....Any Ideas on or tips to put Alierons this plane?

As Souls Dream

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Cruise over to RC Groups. Check out this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787
The first page has tons of links for the aileron mod and a bunch of other mods.
The Supercub is a great plane. We have two. One is a stock Supercub LP. Flies great. The other one is one of the original red ones that I stripped out all of the electrics and installed a brushless. Flies so well I'm hesitant to add ailerons but probably will sometime in the future.
If you want to see info on my Supercub build check my blog on RC Groups, scoll down a bit, there are a few posts with a bunch of pictures. Have fun with it. That's what you bought it for!
My Blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=324785

earthsciteach

Cut the center section out of the wing. Insert a carbon fiber tube into one wing (carefully so it is completely horizontal with respect to the wing. Push the other wing onto the tube until both wings are flush.

Cut out a 13" x 1.5 " chunk out of the trailing edge of each wing. Attach a 13" x 2" piece of balsa using hinges on the trailing edge of each wing. Install a servo on each aileron. Program flaperons on your tx, if you can (just because you can).

While you are at it, rip out all of the stock electronics and install a PowerUp 450 Speed brushless motor and 25 A ESC with an APC 8x4E prop from HeadsUpRC.com. You can also get a machined aluminum motor mount for the HZ SC from HeadsUP. You will now have a sport aerobatic beast that is capable of flying at darn near zero ground speed with flaps down.

It is a BLAST!

Attachments

• 20170326_225238_resized.jpg
    20170326_225238_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20170326_225308_resized.jpg
    20170326_225308_resized.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

earthsciteach

Super Cub paint job finally done

I've been picking away at painting my HZ SC up like an L-4 Grasshopper. I have a couple of details, such as the landing gear "covers" to do, yet. But she's ready to fly again! redone cub1.jpg redone cub2.jpg redone cub3.jpg

asoulsdream

Cut the center section out of the wing. Insert a carbon fiber tube into one wing (carefully so it is completely horizontal with respect to the wing. Push the other wing onto the tube until both wings are flush

1.In other words take the dihedral out of the wings by removing the center section completely?

Cut out a 13" x 1.5 " chunk out of the trailing edge of each wing. Attach a 13" x 2" piece of balsa using hinges on the trailing edge of each wing. Install a servo on each aileron. Program flaperons on your tx, if you can (just because you can).
2. What thickness of balsa and what hinges specifically plz?

3. Love the flaperons and the paint. getting ready to order now, By the way what kind of paunt is that for the foam?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
There are several ways to do this mod and I have no issues with the way earthsciteach is describing but there are several other ways too. You can just the ailerons into the wing and use tape hinges. The Supercub is an awesome plane.

earthsciteach

1. Yep-cut out the center section. Not only does this flatten the wing, the shorter wing will allow higher speed and better roll rates. There is still puh-lenty of lift for the plane! The flaperons do lower landing speed a good bit, compensating for less wing area.

2. 1/4" balsa sanded so they taper from the leading edge to trailing edge. Hinges are nylon.

3. Testors spray paint. If anyone knows of a less expensive, foam safe spray paint, please share! Testors is ridiculously expensive for a tiny can!

4. I'll post up a pic of the ailerons later today. I have a kickball game this morning. :)

earthsciteach

Not much to mounting the servos. I just cut out foam from the wing and recessed the servos. The bottom of the servos sit on the 1/2" diameter carbon fiber rod in the wing.

DSCF6276.jpg DSCF6279.jpg

earthsciteach

Remaidened the Super Cub this morning. The winds picked up again, but I decided to fly. She flew great! The winds tossed her around a good bit, but she did fine. I didn't push my luck because If the esc shut down the motor, the wind would have its way. :)