Super detailed Spitfire Build

nistrum

yeah i found one on here earlier. need to find a decent place to get the foamcore.. what type were you using?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
No thats a perfect size to build most swappables (as far as I know). I used to only be able to get A3, and that sucked! My fuselages were always in two halves haha. I got a pack of 15 sheets for £30.

nistrum

i mean the width of the board? isnt the stuff the flitetest guys use 5mm?
i know its not a massive side differential but i would imagine some of the cuts might need to be altered?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Oh... right haha. Yes I didn't realise that they used 5mm at first, so i just adjusted some of the cut outs as a went. I didn't run into any problems. Maybe you should go for 5mm then, but I find 3mm fine.

nistrum

seems like the stuff we get here is heavier. might need to scale up the power, was thinking of converting the cruiser build into a mosquito..

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Yeah? My stuff seems very light, but I haven't felt the weight of US foam board. A Mosquito sounds like a good idea! Don't know why I haven't thought of that haha. Have you built any other swappables?

nistrum

nah, but i have worked with foamboard alot. so im quietly confident. i might just run with the 5mm and if needs be i can give it a little more power. it will be heavier i imagine with the mods its going to need to look more like the mosquito anyhow.. sounds like a plan!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I thought I would post some more photo's of the almost complete airframe now it is in its pre paining stage.
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0962.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
Does anyone know if I should minwax the plane before or after I paint it? Also, I need to know what type of spray paints I should use. I just need two cans: the Earth Brown and RAF Dark Green. I have the undersides black and white colours already :)

I'd love to hear some more feedback of what you guys think so far!
James.

nistrum

very nice work man. definitely looks the part.. i would be VERY VERY careful with that spray cans. the propellant melts foam. so watch out for any exposed foam as it eats that stuff like you wouldn't believe. what you using in the power pack?

also you ever painted a camo pattern before?
if your using spray cans you can use masking take (i would advice getting some low tac stuff from hobbycraft or somewhere similar) or cut shapes (much less reliable) to shape your pattern, i think the flitetest guys tell you to sue masking tape you have abused a little to make it less sticky which should work too. ooooor you could use art masking fluid, although make sure you minwax the stuff before you paint it on. you need the strength or most of this stuff will kill the paper/card on the outside...

i think that's all i got for you on the painting before you get any of it done. i would advise getting an air gun and doing it by hand. but those thigns cost a bomb for just doing a few bits. personally i have an airbrush set up so i can totally cheat. :D

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Thanks a lot man. Yeah I have done masking before, just not actual camo pattern. The way Chad showed cutting shapes in masking tape I intend to do. Yes and I have some masking tape that isn't too sticky.

I know what you mean about being careful with the spray cans! I have used the same black and white paint on test pieces and they work fine. Im gonna do light coats and keep the cans well away (12 inches or so) to avoid getting propellent on the exposed foam as you say. This is why I was wondering about minwaxing first though, so I wouldn't have that problem. Anyway, every new paint or chemical I'm gonna test on scrap pieces of foam board thoroughly. I am not risking destroying the plane before I even fly it!

nistrum

lol very wise. the place i used to work i had to build a factory out of this stuff and i had to undercoat the whole thing black, i was REALLY lucky in that the first bit was seperate. as soon as i started to spray it began to melt.
i swore a lot, but then it was the best possible time for it to happen.

GL with the painting man, looking forwards to seeing it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you are planning to minwax, best to do it before painting. at least that has been the way to get the best results that I've seen.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the advise :) I was thinking though, is it actually necessary to use minwax at all, when you're painting with (effectively) waterproof paint?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The main things the minwax does is protect the foam from the propellant in the paint if you're using rattle cans or from the water if you are using acrylics in an airbrush, it also waterproofs the paper on the foamboard. If you are going to paint enough to provide an acceptable level of waterproofing to you, then skip the minwax for weight savings. The foam is already waterproof so all that needs protection from water is the paper and of course those pesky electronics inside it!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Does anyone know what brand of spray paint I should use? I'm thinking Tamiya. I need to get the colours right.

nistrum

yeah. to be honest they fluctuate so much even within a brand that colour matching is always a pain.

if you know the colours you want to use from any given brand this should help you figure out the paint your after
http://www.paint4models.com/

get the chart up it should help. and good luck :D