Super simple toilet paper roll foamboard b-52 stratofortress

Hello fellow Flitetesters!

This is a foamboard B-52 that I am working on. I had a thread in the Electric Fixed-Wing section of the Electric Flight forum, but I realized this is a better place to post this. So here it is! Intended to be Depron, this B-52 is aimed to become a simple design that can be put together and flown in less than a day. Currently, I cannot afford Depron to make this, so it is made of foamboard (If you live outside the states, make this plane by covering both sides of 27x29 3/4" 4mm or 5mm depron on a paper with the same dimensions, using 3M Super-77 sprayed on both sides or on one side of each paper).

I will post daily (and on good days, hourly) on the progress of this backseat bomber. If anybody has suggestions, please reply in the comments! I will probably incorporate your suggestions in the design of this airplane. Stay tuned!

Old thread (mods feel free to delete it): http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?35959-Super-simple-foamboard-toilet-paper-roll-b-52

Here's the beginning of the B-52!

WP_20170721_002.jpg
Cardboard toilet paper tubes (use 8x)

WP_20170721_003.jpg
Tracing, measuring, and cutting out the foam

WP_20170721_19_15_41_Pro.jpg
Fuselage cut out (mind the hundreds of drawings)

WP_20170721_19_35_43_Pro.jpg
Glued the fuselage together. Incorporates A-Fold technique

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
NICE! I saw a paper towel tube ducted fan mig at Flite Fest. This makes me think you are on a similar path. Cant wait to see the progress on this. :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

Sorry I was gone, I just forgot about this thread. Here's some pictures. (I'm also working on the wing, stay tuned for that :p)

A-fold (hard to see)
WP_20170816_20_44_49_Pro.jpg

Elevator glued on
WP_20170816_20_44_22_Pro.jpg

See the indication line?;)
WP_20170809_20_13_24_Pro.jpg

The plane is starting to look like a plane!
WP_20170809_20_12_37_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
FINALLY! The wing has been finished! Now I just need to make the other side, the middle, and a template to anyone interested in making plans.

WP_20170818_001.jpg

Last edited:
...and this is after putting both wings together next to the middle part (big 1700mm cargo plane in background). :D

WP_20170825_17_41_53_Pro.jpg

(P.S. the wings are not attached to the fuselage)

Last edited:

Crow929

Is it just me, or do the tail control surfaces look very small for this airplane?
It looks pretty cool so far. Are you planning on just a single motor mounted in the nose?

Is it just me, or do the tail control surfaces look very small for this airplane?
It looks pretty cool so far. Are you planning on just a single motor mounted in the nose?

It's a pusher prop, and yes, they (might) be a little too small. I made them small on purpose, so it will fly a little more like a bomber, but without gyros. My theory is that the smaller the control surfaces are, the less climb/yaw/roll there would be. The wings are large enough to help it climb, so they will provide enough lift that the need for elevator is small. In fact, they are so large, that is is better to have them separate and attached by rubber bands! :p