Super Stol Prototypes

NickRehm

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get it figured out--email, video, etc. I completely understand its a little daunting to look at, but I can assure you anybody can learn it. I did my best to lay everything out as straightforward as possible in the docs, but am always trying to improve the docs. After the radio is setup, the most involved (but most fun) part is setting up the control mixing which I am more than happy to help with for any aircraft configuration you come up with

the rc project

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get it figured out--email, video, etc. I completely understand its a little daunting to look at, but I can assure you anybody can learn it. I did my best to lay everything out as straightforward as possible in the docs, but am always trying to improve the docs. After the radio is setup, the most involved (but most fun) part is setting up the control mixing which I am more than happy to help with for any aircraft configuration you come up with
Well you’ve convinced me(wasn’t too hard was it) I’ve gone through the PDF document, it’s got all the answers. I’ve now got a drehm flight connected to a receiver and functioning! I’m sure when I build a plane around it I will run into hiccups but just seeing the imu outputs and radio outputs working was satisfaction at its finest. I’m thinking I’ll try to build a tilt wing but I’m not sure now.

the rc project

All right I have an updated here in a while. I haven’t been able to go fly the new VZ3, we’ve been getting snow and bad wind for a few weeks now. So I started building and learning drehmflight and I’ve got a rough donier Do 31 almost ready to fly. Vtol and quads are both new to me so I haven’t tried to put much energy into filling the gaps and smooth lines because I know that it’s a VERY high probability that my landing will come early.... I’ve got the wing hovering, but I think that’s the easy part. Anyways my build consists of an wizard x220s that had one of my special “early” landings. The motors and 4in1 esc were all okay so that how I’ll be hovering this monstrosity. As for forward flight I’m still waiting for some motors to come in, Amazon specials.... all controlled by a teensy 4.0 running drehm flight. Any suggestions/ cautions regarding vtol are welcome. I will likely start a new thread if this progresses to be a more “scale” model CF0DB006-8CBE-4F83-8A29-ADB320BA683A.png hover wing picture from the “anybody scratch building thread

Attachments

• 516F893D-8E5D-4E5A-B867-6A08C153689A.jpeg
    516F893D-8E5D-4E5A-B867-6A08C153689A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 196F08A0-57CB-404C-88F6-B7C5D5A3F807.jpeg
    196F08A0-57CB-404C-88F6-B7C5D5A3F807.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

NickRehm

This is awesome, hovering is the hardest part. And the airframe looks like it'll be a nice flyer in forward flight too. Any thought on how you would like to do transition? I have some thoughts/options that might work well and be easy to setup for some first VTOL flights

the rc project

This is awesome, hovering is the hardest part. And the airframe looks like it'll be a nice flyer in forward flight too. Any thought on how you would like to do transition? I have some thoughts/options that might work well and be easy to setup for some first VTOL flights
My plan was to get hover (lol the whole plane not just the wing)tuned well. For the first transition I was planning on getting sufficient altitude and starting to move forward, then flipping the switch. I have the flying surfaces still moving during hover mode, just the forward flying motors off. I still have to figure out the fading, I noticed in the code an Uncommented section (I think that’s what it’s called, when the code is grey) do I just remove the slashes and the stock fading will be used? Any advice on the best way to transition flight modes is appreciated. And any thoughts on the variables I should tune to differ from the stock fading

Last edited:

NickRehm

Do you have a 3-position switch you can map to channel 6 in your radio? I think your idea with hover motors on/off for transition will work well as a starting point, but we can play around with an in-between flight mode where the hover motors are on and the forward motors are on as well, so that you can have some time to get up to speed before full transition

There's no 'built-in' fading, just a simple function that will fade a variable between specified endpoints (I think that's the example commented out code you're referring to). It takes a little bit of custom code to fade flight modes. Definitely get flying with the simpler method you mentioned first, then maybe consider doing the in-between flight mode with a 3-pos switch, then you can check out section 9.10 in the docs to learn how to fade between the flight modes

the rc project

Do you have a 3-position switch you can map to channel 6 in your radio? I think your idea with hover motors on/off for transition will work well as a starting point, but we can play around with an in-between flight mode where the hover motors are on and the forward motors are on as well, so that you can have some time to get up to speed before full transition

There's no 'built-in' fading, just a simple function that will fade a variable between specified endpoints (I think that's the example commented out code you're referring to). It takes a little bit of custom code to fade flight modes. Definitely get flying with the simpler method you mentioned first, then maybe consider doing the in-between flight mode with a 3-pos switch, then you can check out section 9.10 in the docs to learn how to fade between the flight modes
I do have a three position switch, I will set channel 6 to that switch and add the third mode into the code. Would it just have all of the fight controls on in the “half and half” mode? Or do I half to tell it that it should use 50%(for example) of each flight modes control authority?

NickRehm

Yep--just keep the hover motors as they are (so they'll stabilize in hover) and include the forward flight motors so they'll start pushing the vehicle forward for some airspeed. Then in full forward flight, the hover motors all go to zero and you keep all the forward flight controls on as usual. No need to scale them by any value, as you want them to have full control. But feel free to experiment to see what changes in the code will do in the real world!