SuperCub LP??

asoulsdream

ok so I have two of these and was starring at them yesterday and thought, you know what would look cool, the wings on the bottom instead of on the top of the fuse, my ? is should I leave the dihedral in the wings or not and how big of ailerons should i cut out for this. Thanks in advance John

asoulsdream

but it seems like all models I've seen that have bottom mounted wings have had a small dihedral so im confused. I know that if they are flat wings they are much more effective so what gives?????

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Most three channel planes have increased dihedral to keep the plane stable and increase self correcting after turns. I should have said that less dihedral is what you want when you add ailerons. My flat bottom high wing Sig Seniorita has some dihedral but it's MUCH less than my Slow Stick for instance.

The less dihedral there is, the more effective the ailerons will be.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
It really depends on the results you want to achieve.
Leaving the dihedral in will probably give you a decent flying plane, kind of a low wing aileron trainer.
Flattening the wing will take away the planes self correcting capability on the roll axis, not necessarily a bad thing, if that's what you are after.

Here's a thread for a similar mod:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1184270

Here's an excellent thread for adding ailerons and almost any other mod you might want to do to a Supercub. Best Plane Ever!
Page one of the thread has all kinds of links!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
YW- and I'd like to see any pictures you may take along the way.
I love the Supercub.
It's a great trainer and there are so many mods that can be done with it if you ever get bored!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Ditto. My friend and I both added ailerons to our cubs. He didn't flatten the wing and I did. Mine rolls like it's born to it. His is nowhere near as fast and takes a lot of elevator correction to spin nicely. The upside is that his is much much easier to take off, land, and fly at slow speeds. His tip stalls much less and corrects much more. In a low wing, I would start with the stock wing and see how it flies. I was considering doing the same thing but making it a bi plane.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
ok so I have two of these and was starring at them yesterday and thought, you know what would look cool, the wings on the bottom instead of on the top of the fuse, my ? is should I leave the dihedral in the wings or not and how big of ailerons should i cut out for this. Thanks in advance John
A Piper CUB with low wings? Like a Piper Pawnee?
Piper-Pawnee-3vu.jpg

The CUB wing act as a swing with the body and wight below the wing.
The construction is self stabilizing without any (or much) dihedral.
A low wing plane usually have a lot of dihedral unless it is a symmetrical profile on a racer.

Two cubs - another possibility :
Wagner-twin-cub.jpg

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Are these like counterrotating props which would be running in an exact same speed so that they don´t interfere with other?

If yes? That is some mechanical wonder!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Are these like counterrotating props which would be running in an exact same speed so that they don´t interfere with other?

If yes? That is some mechanical wonder!

Look at the prop nut on each. I believe that they are offset to allow them to swing one in front and one behind.