Supermarine High Performance Day Bomber

leaded50

Legendary member
Another unique airplane, unknown by mosts.
Supermarine type 178 09 was proposed in late 1931 to forfill the wished planes for UK Military Ministry by same designer as on the Spitfire later.
That time most plane used was dualwing planes, with little bomb capacity, and speed.
Mitchell by Supermarine made this concept design, with a pretty thick wing (it also had a wide wingspan) to even store bombracks inside the wings.( 32 in each wing) That would given lower drag than usuals with outside hanging bombs, and then higher speed, together with the streamlined shape.
Already then you could easy see many parts similarity with the later Spitfire in Mitchells designs.
This concept was shut down before started, because they didnt believe its specifications, and they suddenly changed the criterias on what they wanted. Pluss the work with the type 300 (the became the Spitfire later ) already took much of Supermarines capacity in building together with their flying boats.
Supermarine_178-09_b.JPG

I would build this in "master-style" as usual, and with such a slim streamlined fuselage and wide wingspan, it will be a nice gilider type too, that shouldnt need a big motor for use. Ill make the wing a touch slimmer though too.... we dont need carry a specific load inside them ;). I see this will be nice even with a 30mm aluspinner and folding propeller. This time ill do a full instruction on building.

The 3D scetch who is building after, i have i got from the book " Beyond the Spitfire "

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Now you're talking! Love it.
I would definitely want to build something like that, but my first question is about CG...

well, nobody have done a model of the plane (ive started though..) When mine is ready enough, i can give you a correct answer.
The CG calculators give pretty similar 1/3 rearward from LE. (78 - 82mm)

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Here is the internals glued together. I did made a front vertical support, who will be taken away later when skins ans wing gets in place. Its for a reinforcing to keep it straight, till all parts are done. As a prototype build, something is done, who is not correct for the actual build..

DSC_0756.JPG

well, nobody have done a model of the plane (ive started though..) When mine is ready enough, i can give you a correct answer.
The CG calculators give pretty similar 1/3 rearward from LE. (78 - 82mm)
My question isn't where the CG should be, but how you'll achieve it. Specifically: is the fuse long enough to move the battery where you want it? I only mentioned it because that would be my concern. :)

That sure will be a beautiful plane.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
My question isn't where the CG should be, but how you'll achieve it. Specifically: is the fuse long enough to move the battery where you want it? I only mentioned it because that would be my concern. :)

That sure will be a beautiful plane.
I was thinking the same thing. Short nose, long tail is not associated with easy balancing, but like monte.c said, "You'll probably have it finished after dinner":ROFLMAO:
Awesome plane, Ill be following!

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I am loving the look of it! Almost looks like it came out of a Studio Ghibli film. The sleek small fuse and the big wide wings. If the d3a1 was anything to go by, this could have bade an excellent dive bomber. At least for its time

leaded50

Legendary member
I was thinking the same thing. Short nose, long tail is not associated with easy balancing, but like monte.c said, "You'll probably have it finished after dinner":ROFLMAO:
Awesome plane, Ill be following!

aha, i see. Yes nose is long enough. Just remember here, even seems quite short at the painted picture, check the 3D view.... its far other planes, even FT who is as "short" in nose.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
aha, i see. Yes nose is long enough. Just remember here, even seems quite short at the painted picture, check the 3D view.... its far other planes, even FT who is as "short" in nose.
Actually the more I look at it, with the swept back wing, it shouldn't be too big of a problem as the swept wing will balance father back than a strait leading edge wing. Either way I cant wait to see it when its done!

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
coming along pretty gooooood! :) Some minor adjustments done, and soon will reveal more of the plans.
Top "bulge" on fuselage, and for engine rockers, is made by blue foam sanded to shape.

View attachment 196654
Absolutely Beautiful! Almost looks like a carrier aircraft with the wings right now. I love engine cowling on it too! I may need to build one of these later.