Supplies for Aeronatuics STEAM class

Supplies for High School Aeronatuics STEM/STEAM class

My name is Dwight Souder and I'm a high school science (Chemistry & Physics) and STEM/STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematics) teacher at Crestview High School in Ashland, OH. A few years ago, I started the STEM program as an after school program, by first purchasing a RC flight simulator. The students who took interest of it, they were enrolled into my STEM class the following year and they started off by making some of the FT airplanes. The class has been a success, with many of last year's students returning, along with a batch of new students. What's nice is that the veteran students have been assisting the first year students, while at the same time the veteran students are working on some independent larger projects.

Though we've had some awesome experiences in my classroom, I've had some difficulties outside of the classroom when my class was almost shut down. With only a few days to prepare, my students and I prepared a presentation and went before our school board and administration and presented what they've been learning. Our school board voted unanimously to continue the program and allow for me to expand upon it. My principal, who has been very supportive of my STEAM class, wants me to teach a basic and advanced Aeronautics STEAM classes. <Excuse me while I do a little happy dance.>

My first year students, they start off by learning the basic science of flight and developing some of the skills needed to construct their RC aircrafts. They first start off by making various types of chuck gliders and learn how to tweek them to make them fly the way they want too. Then as a whole class, they make their first RC aircraft (in this case, FT-Simple Cub). Afterwards, they'll then start working in pairs and making their own RC airplanes.

My second year students, they started off by scratch building their own RC airplane in hopes in making it into a FPV style plane. They are also in the process of drawing up their own plans and then start scratch building their aircraft.

Though I did get a grant to help fund this, over half of the material comes out of my own pocket. This past year, I did get some FPV material (1-FatShark Attitude goggles, 1-Blade transmitter, 1-Spektrum DXE, 1-Inductrix FPV+, 1-Eachine micro-quad, 2-run cams, 2-video transmitters, 3-antennas, 1-balance battery charger that can charge 2 batteries at once). My students have really taken to FPV and I'm amazed how quickly they've caught on...much faster than their teacher. Within 2 days of flying in our school's gym, they were making coordinated turns, flying through the baskets and supports struts in the ceiling.

Though I hate asking for help and I don't have anything exactly in mind of what we need, I am worried of having enough materials for next year...especially if we will be offering a second year (Advanced) Aeronautics STEAM class. It would be great if the advanced class could make some multirotors. I know some of my students are also involved with our video production class, so I thought a nice collaboration with our Video Production teacher where students could use a multirotor for aerial video/photos (not during games or over crowds). Also, our school is in a very rural area and I've thought it would be nice to have something that could be used to carry scientific equipment for air analysis and use a modify camera, that can see some of the IR spectrum, to assess the quality of the crops/vegetation. Though I think racing and acrobatic quads are neat, but for the community in our school district, I think we need to sell the idea of multirotors as being useful tools that could potentially benefit our community members.

Though I'm very new to this and realize this group is geared for "Kwads", I could potentially use just about anything for foam airplanes (motors, ESCs, servos, Spektrum receivers, batteries, foamboard, glue sticks, X-acto blades, packaging tape, etc.) . For multirotors, I don't think anything racing, but something more geared towards slow, steady platform, fairly large, easy to repair, large connections (they are very new to soldering and make lots of mistakes, but they are learning and improving) and perhaps some additional FPV material.

I'd also like to invite all of you to follow my class on Facebook: Crestview High School RC Aeronautics STEAM class

Thank you for offering this group and thank you for at least reading over this. Also, information of where to get good deals for RC parts (planes and multirotors) would also be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dwight Souder
Crestview High School
Chemistry, Physics, STEAM teacher
Ashland, OH
FB: Crestview High School RC Aeronautics STEAM class

Last edited: