Suppo motor and esc help!?!

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Here's what I got......
Suppo 30A esc
BL-2217-7 motor
7.4V 5000mAh 50C 2C charge rate lectron pro batt.

Only hooked esc to motor and into RX.
Throttle up, get one beep, drop throttle after first beep to set for lipo batt. Get conformation beep.
Reconnect batt then motor runs for three seconds then nothing.

I've read about setting an esc to the RX, no documentation in suppo setup about changing pins. Using a sprektrum dx6 and the RX that came with it (the one that was realized in June 2014)
Any suggestions?

Justin

Last edited:

Coleman

I have had two of the Suppo 2217/7 and Suppo 30a esc's and have never experienced this problem with either. I usually program them for Lipo (wait for one beep then throttle stick down). Then I disconnect and reconnect battery and motor works fine. I have always run these motors on 3s 1500mah and 3s 2200mah, I have never tried it on 2s but I don't see why that would cause them to stop running. I am however concerned about how much power your going to have with a 2 cell battery, I'm relatively new to the hobby but my instincts tell me to take a second look at that. I have one of these set ups on a FT Duster, I may need to try it on 2s and see what the thrust feels like.

If you have a working plane, you could swap out one component at a time to see if motor or esc is bad. Good luck hope you get everthing sorted out

quorneng

Master member
Maingear
Do both motors do this?
You say run for 3 seconds. Is that just 'running' or at full power?
Do you have a Watt meter to measure what the current is.
What props are you using?
The motor spec says 18A max continuous which would give 36A in total which is well within the limits of your battery.

If it is only one motor doing this then it certainly sounds like either the ESC or motor is playing up. You would have to swap the ESCs and motors around to find out which.

The capacity of the battery is only a problem if it is too small, big is not an issue electrically although its weight might be! ;)

Last edited:

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
It was the batt! No idea why!?!

What does the 50c mean on the label? Is this a $50 paperweight?

I am an old nitro guy, learning by reading components specs and instructions very carefully as I go....

Justin

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
To answer your question they ran at the throttle setting then spooled down on their own.

I bought it because I thought it was within spec and it's crazy light.

Justin

Last edited:

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
The NIMH I used to get the thing working is back on the charger, got to thinking... What if the auto cutoff was being triggered because it is a two cell lipo and it thinks it's a NIMH? The battery That wouldnt work in mode 1 is working fine in NIMH mode. I'm thinking setting my radio's voice alert when the battery starts dropping. That is what the two modes are for after all, right?

Going to e-mail suppo as get the factory's opinion too.

Justin

PHerder

The Suppo ESCs default to NiMH batteries. You have to program the ESC to recognize the Lipo batteries.

Another "feature" of the Suppo ESCs that I found was they work backwards from "normal" ESCs. I.e. At low throttle on the TX the Suppo was powering my Suppo motor @ full speed! I put a Turngy servo signal reverser on the throttle to keep the TX "standard".

Once I figured out where full throttle was on my TX in relation to the Suppo ESC/motor I was able to "program" one of my two ESCs.

Power applied to the ESC/Rx, Insure Full Throttle on the TX and THEN turn on the TX Just opposite of "normal" RX/TX turn on sequence. I waited until a full sequence of beeps (1 pause 1, 2 pause 2, 3 pause 3, and then it repeats.

Here is where I get confused. You have to go to low throttle when the option (beeps) is the option you want. i.e. you will want to set the first beep for Lipo batteries, second (2) beeps for NiMH and three beeps is the brake. My question is do you go to low throttle in between the beeps? i.e. starts with a beep and the the second beep... low throttle between the beeps or after the second single beep?

The reason I ask is I have one Suppo EXC that works and one that will sound terrible starting, goes full throttle for a few seconds and then acts like it hits something and stops! Swapping ESCs and the problem goes with the ESC.

Do I have a bad ESC?

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
" My question is do you go to low throttle in between the beeps?"

Yes example:
batt on with Tx throttle high
ESC power applied warning beeps
1 beep
throttle down
conformation beeps and exits menu
mode one is selected

The instructions include a warning that Futaba type radios have reversed throttles.

Awaiting an answer from Suppo on if the ESC can handle parallel esc/motors with the 7.4V 5000mAh batt if I monitor the voltage drain by telemetry.

Justin

PHerder

" My question is do you go to low throttle in between the beeps?"

Yes example:
batt on with Tx throttle high
ESC power applied warning beeps
1 beep
throttle down
conformation beeps and exits menu
mode one is selected

The instructions include a warning that Futaba type radios have reversed throttles.

Awaiting an answer from Suppo on if the ESC can handle parallel esc/motors with the 7.4V 5000mAh batt if I monitor the voltage drain by telemetry.

Justin

Thanks Justin! I will give it a try and report back later. Hopefully you got your ESC programmed for your Lipos.

PHerder

Tried once again to program the second of my two 18A Suppo ESCs. JUST to make sure I was getting the correct 1 beep, pause and then move the throttle down to low, I let the beeping go thru at least one cycle (1:1, 2:2, 3:3, then back to one beep and throttle is lowered.) Of the two Suppo 18A ESCs I have, one works great with either Suppo motors I have, the other continues to not rev up and then when it does, it only runs for ~ 5 seconds and the it acts like it had hit something and stops immediately!

Remember, the other Suppo 18A ESC works great on this motor thus this ESC is not working properly. And yes, I have removed the prop so that I don't get chewed up... :black_eyed:

The other problem is that my E-flite SAFE receiver does not like the Suppo ESCs. So I have on order a different manufacturer's version (20A). I do have an E-flite 20A ESC but they are proud of them and they cost ~ 3-4 times more that the ones I can get the will work with the SAFE RX.

quorneng

Master member
PHerder
There is no reason at all why you cannot connect two (or more) ESCs to one battery provided it can handle the current. I have a plane with 4 small EDFs drawing 48A in total all running off a single 3000mAh 2s.

The Suppo ESC sound a bit old fashioned. :confused:
Every one of my 20 odd ESCs (all cheap!) has 'auto detect' for battery type and cell count. In other words they look after themselves. The only thing I have to programme is to set the brake where required.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
"acts like it had hit something and stops immediately!" That is exactly what mine was doing in Lipo mode regardless of the throttle settings.

The only difference between NiMH and Lipo is the cut off voltage. This battery I'm using is causing the ECS to think it is a 3C until amperage is applied or something because the auto detect feature is not happy with its new environment. I need to take open circuit readings and full load readings for true Volts and Amps and report back to Suppo. If I am not out of the auto detect specs, I don't see how I could be out of the throttle on load capability of the ESCs. I need to figure this out before I fly this thing.

Thrust produced in ground runs have been down right scary (I've had to stand beside Pratt and Whitney 1000s to take pressure readings and not been this excited). I need to use a pull gauge and see what the static thrust is!

Suppo factory response was fast and to the point
. They clearly stated what the ESC is designed to do and I am responsible for monitoring outside of their specs. After stating what I had, I asked if I can run in NiMH mode and monitor Lipo with Spektrum telemetry:

"if you sure the Nimh can work, you can use the Nimh mode.

under NIMH mode, the cutoff volt is 60% of starting volt. that means, if the battery is fully charge 8.4v, ESC cut off at around 5v.

if you can monitor the battery volt, that will be the best."- Suppo Factory Service Dept.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Finally got to fly the Kraken yesterday! First flight was 5 min at half throttle (80% left over after flight). Top charged and flew another 5 min. Then flew a 5 min at 70% then a 7 min at 75% (30% left).

Everything works fine. Batt was barely warm after 7 min at 75%.

I've gone back and researched batteries only to discover the local mom & pop hobby shop recommended and sold to me the wrong battery. Seems to be a big step from 7.4 to 11.1 Volts.

Plane is silent and floats at low speed, pleasure to fly. Can't wait to get a 3C battery and get the motors really spinning!