Swapable Suggestion - J-3 Cub or Super Cub

BanditJacksRC

Hello!

Let me start off by saying I am a huge FT fan and love what FliteTest does for the RC hobby/community. The FT designs are amazing, and have helped me find a new love for designing and building RC planes of all types.

I just wanted to throw this out there..
I think if FT designed and produced a FT J-3 Cub (piper), it would be amazing.

I am a big fan of the Storch and was my first FT build. I have actually since built my own J-3 and love it even more.

J-3 Piper Cub FB.jpg

This is my first version of the Cub and am currently working on a second, with plans to be included for the FT community to enjoy.
Even though I have already built myself a cub that I love, I think if FT were to do so, the entire community would see themselves how great of a bird the cub really is. (for those who don't already know!)

Anyways, I know the Cub would be a great seller. It's perfect for begginners and the experienced alike. (gentle, stable handeling - with the ability to perform aeorbatics)

Please consider!
Thanks for reading!

~Bandit Jack

ttprigg

I like the idea. I am having fun with my Storch but.... that is a Great lookin' plane! Is it covered with packing tape or an "iron on" product? Ill keep a look out for your plans.

BanditJacksRC

I like the idea. I am having fun with my Storch but.... that is a Great lookin' plane! Is it covered with packing tape or an "iron on" product? Ill keep a look out for your plans.

Its actually just spray paint, and some handpainted acrylic for the detail. (and vinyl letters for the n number)

Although the prototype I have made from the plans I have used a minwax layer then spraypaint. I don't have any pics yet, but will be releasing the plans shortly.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I don't think there is a reason to make both they are so similar. Unless I am missing something.

A lot of people love the cub because of it's gentle flight characteristics and good looks. Many regard it as "The Airplane that Taught America to Fly" so it holds a special place in the heart of many aviators. Beyond that, the super cub's cowl would be a spectacularly easy thing to do using posterboard and a few formers.

A lot of people love the cub because of it's gentle flight characteristics and good looks. Many regard it as "The Airplane that Taught America to Fly" so it holds a special place in the heart of many aviators. Beyond that, the super cub's cowl would be a spectacularly easy thing to do using posterboard and a few formers.

I don't know anything about the super cub. I am new to the hobby. What is the super cub's cowl?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
What is the super cub's cowl?

The piece that covers the cylinder heads, which on the original J-3 stuck out of the side of the fuselage.

Here is a picture of the cowling on its own, and a picture of the original J-3 cub without the full cowling.

super cub cowl.JPG

cub.jpg

BanditJacksRC

Plans Teaser

I don't think there is a reason to make both they are so similar. Unless I am missing something.

The FT Spitfire and FT Racer are extreemely close in design. Only slight changes with the fuse, and stabilizers and wing tips.

I would be the same concept with the Storch to Cub design.

The Piper Cub is an American Classin and would for sure be be a HUGE HIT.

Here is a quick snapshot of the plans I am working on. I still have alot more work, but let me know what you guys think!

Forum Pic - Using Publisher Done.PNG

These plans build a great flying J-3 but are not yet perfect. The model is still a prototype, but I am working on it almost every day, and the finalized plans will be available soon.
If you want to build what I have available now, feel free to PM me and I can send you the PDF of what I have.

Would love anyone's input!

BanditJacksRC

I matched the header on the plans to the actual FT released plans.. Does anybody think this is a bad idea? I also labeled it FT J-3 Cub (because it's a swapable) and was thinking I might need to change that as well, but not sure if it would actually upset anyone with FT. I just want to plans to look that same, but am worried about anybody getting upset. any thought?

BanditJacksRC

Microsoft Publisher

What software are you using to make the plans? What is your workflow for creating them?

Well I started of with using Sketchup, but ran into a road block trying to download an unfolding extension.

For these plans I actually have been using Microsoft Publisher. I import a 3 view, then size it up to whatever I wish.

Then go from there, adding a/b fold, tabs, ect.

Here are some snapshots of the process, almost step by step.

If all goes well I plan to eventually create an article about creating your own model with Publisher to create the plans, and testing/ editing prototypes.

ForumPic - Using Publisher 1.png
ForumPic - Using Publisher 2.png
ForumPic - Using Publisher 3.png
ForumPic - Using Publisher 4.png
Forum Pic - Using Publisher Done.PNG

BanditJacksRC

Are you designing this as a mini and full sized? Sounds like a bunch of fun to do. Very interested. Keep up the great work. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.

The wingspan for this one will be right about 40". So not quite as big as the storch, but not nearly as small as any mini! lol.

Thanks, it really is a ton of fun. and rewarding as well. I hope to see some others build this one because she sure is fun to fly.

Here is a pic of the 1st prototype. I have some servo placment, thrust angle, and wing width stuff to work on, but for the first round of plans, she sure does fly pretty well!

RT - 1st. Att. Done.png