Swapable's Batteries

knife-edge

I have recently decided to start building the swapables with the beef setup. I have the esc, motor, servos, and everything else but the battery. After looking at both the spitfire and baby blender build pages, I notice that the recommended battery is a 1300mah 4s, however when looking at the speed build kits for the same planes, I see a 2200mah 3s for the spitfire and a 1300mah 3s for the baby blender. This makes me a little confused to which battery or batteries that I should use for these planes. If someone could tell me what batteries they are using in their ft spitfire and baby blender it would really help. I want the same speed that the guys at flitetest are getting out of their planes with the ntm 28-26 1200kv. Thanks in advance for the replies and thank you guys at flitetest for the amazing stuff that you make and do. You all got me into the hobby. I just cant wait to see what you guys have in store for the future:D.

So here is the chart of the recommended batteries and the blank section is for what you guys use.

Spitfire/Baby Blender:
Recommended: 1300 4s
What you use for the spitfire:
What you use for the baby blender:

Last edited:

tramsgar

If those recommendations are correct you'll be able to achieve the correct CG, so you'll choose the size from desired flight time, agility and motor requirements. And cost, of course =). If 2200 is too heavy for the baby blender then perhaps you should start out with the 1300 mAh (3s/4s depending on motor and taste)?

knife-edge

I am using the ntm prop drive 28-26 1200kv motor for both the planes. Would you think that a 2200 3s for the spitfire and a 1300 3s for the baby blender will do the job? I still want enough power to do rolls and loops, but I don't need unlimited vertical. Basically I want the same amount of power that the guys on flitetest get with the same motor that I have, but it seems to me like they use a 1300 4s in both.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've used both a 2200 and a 1500 (both 3s, the 1500 is a zippy "compact" because it was the cheapest thing I could find in stock close to a 1300) in my spit and baby blender and didn't notice a huge difference between them. They need to be positioned slightly different for balance of course - but as for performance I didn't notice a big change. Can't say how they compare for flight time because I'm not that good at keeping either of those planes in the air long enough for the battery to be a limiting factor - the BB I just have a hard time keeping it in the air period (not used to the lack of dihedral) and the spit I have so much fun with I start doing stupid stuff too quick and usually end up in the ground ;)

I've also used both batteries on my bloody wonder with the same 28-26 pod and there I'm finding I like the 1500 more than the 2200. Just feels a little more agile. The 2200 does give a little more flight time but the 1500 just feels more "right".

I'd like to pick up a few 4s packs to try...but right now the 3s give me all the performance I need for my skill level so I'm not in a big hurry to try a 4 just yet.

knife-edge

I've used both a 2200 and a 1500 (both 3s, the 1500 is a zippy "compact" because it was the cheapest thing I could find in stock close to a 1300) in my spit and baby blender and didn't notice a huge difference between them. They need to be positioned slightly different for balance of course - but as for performance I didn't notice a big change. Can't say how they compare for flight time because I'm not that good at keeping either of those planes in the air long enough for the battery to be a limiting factor - the BB I just have a hard time keeping it in the air period (not used to the lack of dihedral) and the spit I have so much fun with I start doing stupid stuff too quick and usually end up in the ground ;)

I've also used both batteries on my bloody wonder with the same 28-26 pod and there I'm finding I like the 1500 more than the 2200. Just feels a little more agile. The 2200 does give a little more flight time but the 1500 just feels more "right".

I'd like to pick up a few 4s packs to try...but right now the 3s give me all the performance I need for my skill level so I'm not in a big hurry to try a 4 just yet.

Thanks. I just asked Chad what they used while filming the episodes. I'm leaning towards just getting a couple 1300 3s packs for now, but I'll see what Chad has to say. Thanks for the reply.

knife-edge

If you get two 1300's and don't like the flight time you could always parallel them =).

I checked with Chad by using the ask chad thread. (if you ever need to ask him something, that is the easiest place to do so. He got back to me in less than a day!!!!!:D:D:D:D) He said that both the Spitfire and the Baby Blender articles should recommend a 1300mah 3s. He said he would change it soon but I just wanted to let anyone else confused like I was know that it is a 3s and not a 4s, although 4s will work fine with the ntm 28-26 and a 4s capable esc.