Swappable "Blackwing"

Centus

Here is a test flight video of a new swappable design that I've been working on, called "Blackwing".

IMG_20151205_160956.jpg

I used SPONZ's Bloody Wonder mk3 fuselage and wing design (with some small modifications) and designed a new tail and canard.

Enjoy!

Centus

Thanks airhawk, I've been happy with the flying characteristics so far.

I noticed in the "Rocket Shinden" video that they had the elevator on the canard. I tried that on my v1 of this plane and it was uncontrollable, I figured it was because the elevator flaps were too close to the CG (which you can see in the picture is the little black dot about 1" forward of the wing leading edge). The nose on the FT shinden is much longer than mine so that probably is not an issue for pitch authority for them, but maybe there is some kind of bad interaction between the canard flow and the wing. Anyway, this plane has elevons (obviously) which have been much better.

I've got quite a bit of AoA on the canards (10deg, like the Viggen) so that they will stall first and drop the nose. They stall pretty early though so the slow-speed flying isn't really there. I think I'll try moving them forward a bit with a little less AoA and see if I can get it to fly a little slower. The nice thing is that after the first version failed I attached the wing with rubber bands and skewers instead of hot glue, so I can try out a bunch of different fuselage/canard mods easily.

Here is my build of the blackwing and a link to my First flight video and the maiden

Thanks for the great design. I've built 6 planes over the past month and a half. getting ready for the spring. It's been snowy so I haven't flown in a while. When I saw the Blackwing I knew I could set it up for the snow. I have completely covered it with colored shipping tape and added a battery cover to help keep the moisture out. She flew fine on the maiden :cool: but I felt I needed to turn down the rates. At 25 deg :eek: and by the time I made the adjustments the servos froze up so that ended the day. I hope to have her out tomorrow, it will be a blistering 36 deg. Here the link for the short maiden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJv1xPYabxs Blackwing for flite test2.jpg Blackwing for flite test1.jpg

Thanks for the great design. I've built 6 planes over the past month and a half. getting ready for the spring. It's been snowy so I haven't flown in a while. When I saw the Blackwing I knew I could set it up for the snow. I have completely covered it with colored shipping tape and added a battery cover to help keep the moisture out. She flew fine on the maiden :cool: but I felt I needed to turn down the rates. At 25 deg :eek: and by the time I made the adjustments the servos froze up so that ended the day. I hope to have her out tomorrow, it will be a blistering 36 deg. Here the link for the short maiden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJv1xPYabxs View attachment 60654 View attachment 60653

Took her out today. She flew a bit better, but batteries don't like the cold. I also found out that I can't have any black on the bottom side showing. At a distance I can't tell the top or bottom ever with the little white I had on the bottom. I'm going to make the bottom of the wings gold, hopefully they will show up better. I may have some video later.

Centus

Wow, that is a great looking build! I like your idea of adding a battery cover, it improves the aerodynamics and looks cleaner I think. Is that some black tape holding it shut, or is it a fixed pocket?

It looks cold out there man! Hardcore!

Damig

Sweet flying Fun deaign

What a blast. I look forward to having your skills.... Reminds DS me of the canard ultralight "Goldwing".. Fun, nice job doood.

<salute>