Swappable Douglas DC-3/C-47

RockNBurn

Montagem_DC3_0016.jpg Montagem_DC3_0017.jpg Montagem_DC3_0018.jpg Montagem_DC3_0019.jpg Montagem_DC3_0020.jpg Montagem_DC3_0021.jpg Montagem_DC3_0022.jpg Montagem_DC3_0023.jpg Montagem_DC3_0024.jpg Montagem_DC3_0025.jpg Montagem_DC3_0026.jpg Montagem_DC3_0027.jpg Montagem_DC3_0028.jpg Montagem_DC3_0029.jpg Montagem_DC3_0030.jpg Montagem_DC3_0031.jpg Montagem_DC3_0032.jpg Montagem_DC3_0033.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0034.jpg Montagem_DC3_0035.jpg

The wingtips are a little trickier to form, since the spar only goes as far as the middle. To help them to shape up, I placed the wing spacer on the tip to force the curve. Works wonderfully. Also, its better to glue the creases first, then glue the wing to the spar and spacer.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Hows the build going? I'm probably going to start one this weekend if I have some time. I've got some motors and servos that need to be used for something, and this looks fantastic!

RockNBurn

I haven't got the time and material to continue, LOL.
Its seams that foam is outr of stock on the shops. And it's the end of the semester, and the students go crazy about their grades.
Maybe I can resume work next week.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I'm having a local office store print out the plans with a plotter so I don't have to tile together pieces of paper. I'll pick them up this evening and start building!

RockNBurn

Landing gear.jpg

This is my idea for the landing gear mount. It should be placed as back as possible on the powerpod.

The file was added on the Dropbox folder.

RockNBurn

Not yet, but I guess it will be the same setup as the FT Cruiser (or very similar). I cannot use a prop larger than 8".
I'm still a n00b to power setups and stuff.

RockNBurn

A slight miscalculation of my part. On the 3D file, I tough the servo would fit under the wing. But no worries. I just traced it out and cut a pocket. The good thing is that the servo surface is flush with the bottom surface of the wing. You mys reinforce the servo with packaging tape.

Montagem_DC3_0036.jpg Montagem_DC3_0037.jpg Montagem_DC3_0038.jpg Montagem_DC3_0039.jpg Montagem_DC3_0040.jpg

RockNBurn

Finally, I found some foam boards, I can continue building.
2015-12-02 10.34.53.jpg

I also cut some plywood parts. BTW, there is an error on the plywood file, the firewall size is wrong. I'll will address that NOW!
Ok, fixed.
Montagem_DC3_0041.jpg

Last edited:

RockNBurn

Building he nacelles and power pods.
Warning. Check if the nacelles are level. I'll probably will have to fix that. =/

Montagem_DC3_0044.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0045.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0046.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0047.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0048.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0049.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0050.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0051.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0052.jpg

RockNBurn

Checking for level. The nacelles base must be parallel to the wing Mid Section base. Use a table to check if the nacelles are level with each other.
Montagem_DC3_0053.jpg

I', a little concerned about prop clearance. I designed this plane to be able to use 8" dual bladed props (even tough this plane asks for a 3 bladed prop). But I've eyeballed it, and it seems it may slightly hit the body. But I guess I should finish the plane first and take conclusions later, hu?

Last edited:

RockNBurn

The first idea was to make'em round. But I was having some problems on doing so. So I decided to keep'em simple, at least for a first prototype. The power pod is too big to make a good round nacelle for a plane this size.

RockNBurn

I still don't have the posterboard pieces. I wanted to try to see how this foamboard bends. It really difficult to remove all the paper from it, but I discovered that if you remove enough, it will bend easely, no problem.
Montagem_DC3_0054.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0055.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0056.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0057.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0058.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0059.jpg
Montagem_DC3_0060.jpg