Swappable Fw 190 - Build thread

Imprez

Imprez... here is the corsair link http://flitetest.com/articles/corsair-swappable-with-plans thiking about the first flight? any chance your battery slipped rearward?, it might have been a wind gust? try a very level hand toss toward the horizon.
Thanks for the link NZ, the Corsair looks really great. The different swappable design coming out right now are really awesome. I don't think the battery slipped because it was still actually attached to the velcro strip after the crash. Now that I have thought some about it I think it might have been a combination of wind, too high angle on the hand launch, CG a little off and of course my "special" piloting skills :D

I got into this hobby in august this year and my only experience before that is some remote controlled cars and some flight sims so I'm basically in way over my head doing this kind of stuff so soon. But I love the challenge and it is so much fun!

do a glide test just because it's based on the spit you changed so much :)
Yes, I think you are right, I'll try that on my next attempt.

Weather is both windy and raining today so no flying unfortunately.

NewZee

Thanks for the link NZ, the Corsair looks really great. The different swappable design coming out right now are really awesome. I don't think the battery slipped because it was still actually attached to the velcro strip after the crash. Now that I have thought some about it I think it might have been a combination of wind, too high angle on the hand launch, CG a little off and of course my "special" piloting skills :D

I got into this hobby in august this year and my only experience before that is some remote controlled cars and some flight sims so I'm basically in way over my head doing this kind of stuff so soon. But I love the challenge and it is so much fun!

Yes, I think you are right, I'll try that on my next attempt.

Weather is both windy and raining today so no flying unfortunately.

Imprez... I just started in September myself, and I can assure you that my in the air skills are pretty bad as well, like you I am much better at building planes than flying them! I know I have a "Real Flight" simulator coming for Christmas, and I hope that will help, I also built an "Old Fogey" and have had good sucess flying that for extended times, it is very forgiving and has helped me a lot! still crash my Spifire and Cub more than I like, but am gaining confidence each time out!

Imprez

Sorry for the lack of updates, winter got in the way and I somehow managed to get promoted at work which is great but bad for my spare time. I also did a FT Viggen build with my swedish friend during the winter that was a lot of fun but left the poor broken FW gathering dust in my storage room.

Anyway when me and my friend was about to maiden the Viggens I decided to patch up the FW. With the damage fixed and more weight added to the nose it was time for the "second maiden". Yeah, I know, there is no such thing but the first flight was so short it hardly counts :)

Weather was great, with sun and some light winds. Here's how it went:

Imprez

Beautiful day here in Sweden so my friend and I went flying. Brought the Fw that I have been tinkering with recently. I have moved the COG further forward to help with it's slightly nervous behaviour on the last flight. Good news is that did the trick! The Fw flew beautifully and it was a wonder of stability. I did all kinds of manuevers without any problems when suddenly disaster struck.

For reasons unknown the controls stopped working but the throttle was still wide open. I tried holding the transmitter higher but to no avail, the plane pitched slowly over to the left rolled inverted and went in full speed nose first into the ground. We heard a loud thud as it hit the ground.

This was the result of crash:
DSC_0168.JPG
Damage is fortunately limited to the nose section but that part took a serious beating.
DSC_0169.JPG
The lipo is also a write off which testifies to the force of the impact.

I've tested the radio now and everything seems to function normallly now so I have no idea what went wrong on the field today.

marc60

Oh man, that hurts. I think the lipo took a lot of the energy of the impact. It as if she might by repairable.
I hope it flies again, it deserves to with this looks :)

bcredneck

see if your rx can use a wifi antenna out of a old laptop I use one with my super cub rx it plugs right into the board I did that after watching my .049 powered balsa yak 54 do a uncontrolled spin into the dirt took more work to fix than build the plane

Blackbeltrrf

That is a great looking FW 190! Sorry for the crash but it happens. I just finished my Swappable FW 190 a couple of weeks ago and it flies great!

Powertyrant425

Now that is a fine example of improvised material applications! You are an artist. I am going to follow your example and build a TA-152 version of this fine machine, the high altitude final evolution of Kurt Tank's 'butcher bird'.
Keep'em flying! Marco