Swappable Fw 190 - Build thread

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Wow. Just, wow. I love the FW 190, and this is the first foam scratch built version that has done it justice. Very good Job sir!

Imprez

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your support!

Absolutely! That looks so good. Is that all just forming with glue and foam, no heating?
Yes, no heat, just bending the water bottle plastic over the foam with hot glue on. I'm taking advantage of the natural curve of the water bottle plastic where it narrows slightly towards the neck of the bottle.

LordVader

This is Awesome!:applause: I have built several swappables of my own, but now, using some of your ideas I can make them more scale and realistic. Can't wait to see the finished warbird.:cool:

Imprez

Thanks, great to be able to contribute to this great community!

No maiden this weekend either due to more severe weather and snow but I managed to do some painting instead.

paint1.jpg
First a grey base coat.

paint2.jpg
Cut ut machine gun cowl bulges out of foam board.

paint4.jpg
Sanded the bulges into final shape and glued them on.

paint5.jpg
Green paint appplied over the machine gun cowl bulges

paint6.jpg
Here's how it looks right now with the green paint applied. Next is the light grey on the sides and bottom of the plane.

Last edited:

Imprez

Not much, but some progress :)

Painted some yellow details and blackening from the exhaust.

yellow1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

Hoping that the weather gets better this weekend and that my 9" props arrive in the mail tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed for a maiden video soon!

Last edited:

Imprez

Imprez - Looking really good.

Looks great! Your plane looks great!

Thanks guys! Props arrived today in the mail and weather service says it will be cloudy, light winds and no rain tomorrow morning. Sound like the time has finally come for the maiden! Starting to get nervous now, hehe.

DSC_0633.JPG
Imprez Air Force ready for take off. Fw has the new prop and CG and rudders tested. Spit has been patched up after the high speed vertical landing ;)

Imprez

Sorry to report that the maiden did not go well. First off the weather service was wrong, it was snowing but not too bad and there was some wind but perfectly ok for flying. So I took up the repaired Spit first and it went fine. It was a little bit out of trim but when I got that sorted in the air it flew as beautifully as ever. Landed without problems and decided to go ahead and maiden the Fw.

I hand launched it towards the wind and right away the plane went vertical and up and over my head. Tried to correct but it was too late and me being the crap pilot I am couldn't save it after that. It went in pretty hard and did a cartwheel damaging both wings, rudder, h-stab and the fuselage. Heres some pics of the carnage:

crash1.jpg
Doesn't look that damaged at the first glance.

crash2.jpg
Biggest damage is to the right wing, it is crumpled, folded and cracked in three places. I think it still might be repairable though.

crash3.jpg
Rudder hinge broke clean off, ouch. Will have to fix this with tape or hinges.

crash4.jpg
Left wing is cracked but nothing that some got glue cannot fix.

crash5.jpg
Fuselage folded and cracked a bit. Nothing severe.

crash6.jpg
H-stab and elevator are both cracked and needs to be glued back together with some new support inserted.

My friend LeeFiero have some video of the crash and I will post it soon. Back to the workbench!

NewZee

Sorry to report that the maiden did not go well. First off the weather service was wrong, it was snowing but not too bad and there was some wind but perfectly ok for flying. So I took up the repaired Spit first and it went fine. It was a little bit out of trim but when I got that sorted in the air it flew as beautifully as ever. Landed without problems and decided to go ahead and maiden the Fw.

I hand launched it towards the wind and right away the plane went vertical and up and over my head. Tried to correct but it was too late and me being the crap pilot I am couldn't save it after that. It went in pretty hard and did a cartwheel damaging both wings, rudder, h-stab and the fuselage. Heres some pics of the carnage:

My friend LeeFiero have some video of the crash and I will post it soon. Back to the workbench!

Damn!...Too bad, after all your hard work. Do you have any idea why it went vertical?, I assume you had the CG close? did you do a glide test before the hand launch? BTW did you see the corsair build that is now posted, looks like another nice "Round Fuslage" build.. Please post the video, and good luck on the rebuild!

earthsciteach

I'm looking forward to seeing the video, Imprez. We will arm chair trouble shoot that plane for you! ;)

What are your thoughts on why it did that? Don't give up! You have an amazing looking plane! It WILL fly.

Imprez

Damn!...Too bad, after all your hard work. Do you have any idea why it went vertical?, I assume you had the CG close? did you do a glide test before the hand launch? BTW did you see the corsair build that is now posted, looks like another nice "Round Fuslage" build.. Please post the video, and good luck on the rebuild!
Thanks for your support NZ! I had checked the CG but I did not do a glide test, will make sure to do that next time. No I haven't seen the Corsair, just Foam Addicts Hellcat thread, do you have a link? I haven't got the video yet but I 'll post it as soon as I get the link.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video, Imprez. We will arm chair trouble shoot that plane for you! ;)

What are your thoughts on why it did that? Don't give up! You have an amazing looking plane! It WILL fly.
Not sure, it could have been a bad hand launch on my part but it could also be the CG even though I checked, I have added some more weight to the front just in case. Thanks for your confidence, I am determined to get it up in the air as well.

Sounds like a too far rearward CG, but we'll need the black box to know for sure!
I have the CG on the same point in the wing as the Spit but the Fw is a different design so maybe the CG is supposed to be different. Let's see if the added weight makes a difference, I´ve patched up the damage and replaced the rudder servo that broke in the crash so I'm ready for a second attempt tomorrow if weather allows.