Swappable plans/models for power pods.

Eamon

Hi all
My first post.
I have been looking for a collection of swappable plans to use with a power pod arrangement.

1)Can you explain if there is more than one power pod system. I think that there is a mini and a power, correct?

2) If so what options are available for each power pod system.
Can we get a list of options (a therapeutic menu of plane plans) both official and non official.

Looking through the forum I notice that some members(spons) have published some altered plans.
I was unsure if these alterations were made in order to facilitate the power pod swappable systems?

Look forward to your feedback.

d8veh

Elite member
These power pods are so easy and cheap to make that I think the idea of swappable is a bit flawed. Normally, your power pod gets bashed in before you ever think of using it in a different plane. It only takes a couple of minutes to unscrew a motor from one pod to the next. I think the best thing about the swappable pods is that when one gets bashed in, you don't have to repair the whole plane.

AFAIK there are two swappable power pods. the small one goes in the mini series planes and the larger one goes in a range of planes, both big and small. Therein lies another problem. you'd most likely fit a slow-fly low power motor to the FT Flyer, which shares the same pod as the FT3D and Sportster. I'd want three different motors in those three planes, though some might be happy sharing the Sportster and 3D motor between those two planes.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @d8veh, I don't do much swapping between planes. I make power pods in batches, how many can I get from 1 sheet of foam board. The power pod will be the first thing to get damaged in a crash, most times the only thing. I'd rather build a new power pod than damage my motor. Something is going to break first.

Eamon

Guys I understand your advice to keep things simple and I get the beauty of having a tidy kit set up just right.
However
I am greedy, I am a horder and I want a fleet. I want my fleet to have the swappability of power pods.

I do not wish to buy Rx receiver and motor for every build.

Taking on board your advice/suggestions.
I can have fast medium and slow power pods.

Now back to my question, is there a list of plans for planes that accept power pods with reference to the power pods that they accept?

d8veh

Elite member
I do not wish to buy Rx receiver and motor for every build.
You can buy perfectly acceptable receivers for the same price as the average servo, so that's half or a third of the cost of servos, which can't be swapped. If you shop around, you can find very cheap motors and ESCs too.

Here's the receiver I use in nearly all my Flitetest planes. You need a DSM2 or DSMX Transmitter or one with a 4in1 external module:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dsm2-6ch-with-case-and-ce-fcc-rcm.html

Now back to my question, is there a list of plans for planes that accept power pods with reference to the power pods that they accept?

Surely, it's better to build the planes you like/want rather than build the ones that have the same power pod?

If you look at the all in one plans, you can see which power pods they have if any:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

Eamon

"If you look at the all in one plans, you can see which power pods they have if any"
This is the guidance I was looking for.
What I want to do in addition to the usual receiver, battery, motor power pod is to add in a flight controller and or FPV kit(maybe) so you can see that with the electronics the cost may rise.

"Surely, it's better to build the planes you like/want rather than build the ones that have the same power pod?"

I like a lot of planes, this is why I am asking essentially about the choice of builds available to me with power pods.

Thanks again for the all in one view, I could not prior to this figure out which had power pods.

finally, are there other plans on this forum for more power pod kits not featured in the the link you provided me with:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
"If you look at the all in one plans, you can see which power pods they have if any"
What I want to do in addition to the usual receiver, battery, motor power pod is to add in a flight controller and or FPV kit(maybe) so you can see that with the electronics the cost may rise.

"Surely, it's better to build the planes you like/want rather than build the ones that have the same power pod?"

I like a lot of planes, this is why I am asking essentially about the choice of builds available to me with power pods.

Thanks again for the all in one view, I could not prior to this figure out which had power pods.

finally, are there other plans on this forum for more power pod kits not featured in the the link you provided me with:
Like most others I do not swap power pods. Whilst they seem to be a good idea on the surface you will soon discover that if you damage a power pod which is shared between a number of planes then they are all grounded until you either repair the power pod or replace it!

Secondly I have very few planes that share the same throw and Expo settings, actually on some even the servos are reversed so using a single Rx across a number of different planes can require you to completely reprogram the Tx each time you change models.

Most Txs can support a number of different models and the majority require a single Rx for each plane supported.

I still build and use the power pods though as often the extra weight is required to help the plane achieve the proper balance point.

Just my opinion!

Have fun!

JTarmstr

Elite member

If you already have flying experience, i would suggest the power pack C which is what i started with. You can fly warbirds (swappable) and swap motors to aircraft like the Edge 540 and Simple scout. I started with just a C pack but then somehow i just kept acquiring different motors, fans and ESC's. It becomes addicting ;)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

What, exactly is it you are looking for? The PowerPod is just a foamboard box with a hobby-grade plywood front and some barbecue skewers to hold in it place. All the FT planes use it.

Eamon

Thanks guys
I dont think all plans accept power pods.
"What, exactly is it you are looking for?"
A list of planes that accept the pods and the size of the pods, ie big or small

JTarmstr

Elite member
Large Pack=C or B power
Small Pack= A or F power

FT Sea Otter Large pack
FT Mig 3 Large pack
FT Versa Large pack
FT Simple Cub Large pack
FT Mustang Large pack
FT Spitfire Large pack
FT Simple Storch Large pack
FT Simple Scout Large pack
FT Spear Large Pack
FT Kracken (Twin) Large pack
FT Sea Duck (Twin) Large pack
FT Bronco (Twin) Large pack
FT Cruiser (Twin) Large pack

FT Mighty Mini Sparrow Small pack
FT Pietenpol Small pack
FT Mighty Mini SE5 Small pack
FT Mighty Mini Corsair Small pack
FT Mighty Mini Mustang Small pack
FT Mighty Mini Sportster Small pack
FT Tiny Trainer Small pack

This isnt all the swappables and some might not be swappables but this will give a general idea of what there is.

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Build your power pods from coroplast. Built a slightly shortened pod from an old 4-h sign and haven’t had a single issue with damage.

Large Pack=C or B power
Small Pack= A or F power

FT Sea Otter Large pack
FT Mig 3 Large pack
FT Versa Large pack
FT Simple Cub Large pack
FT Tiny Trainer Large pack
FT Mustang Large pack
FT Spitfire Large pack
FT Simple Storch Large pack
FT Simple Scout Large pack
FT Spear Large Pack
FT Kracken (Twin) Large pack
FT Sea Duck (Twin) Large pack
FT Bronco (Twin) Large pack
FT Cruiser (Twin) Large pack

FT Mighty Mini Sparrow Small pack
FT Pietenpol Small pack
FT Mighty Mini SE5 Small pack
FT Mighty Mini Corsair Small pack
FT Mighty Mini Mustang Small pack
FT Mighty Mini Sportster Small pack

This isnt all the swappables and some might not be swappables but this will give a general idea of what there is.
That’s a great list, but wouldn’t the Tiny Trainer be a small pack?