Swappable receiver recommendations?

chriscal

Hello All,

I started into RC Flying a few short months ago with a Parkzone UM t-28 and now I am flying the Apprentice 1E. My two boys Jack and Paul ages 7 and 9 are really interested in getting involved. I was thinking the Swappables are a great way for us to start. I am a bit confused about the receiver I should use. I have DX6i and DX5e and was looking for inexpensive receivers to use. Any specific recommendations would be great but also I have general questions.

What are you looking for in a receiver (besides number of channels)? Are there specs that need to be looked at to run specific servos, Power, size, weight, intended battery size? Any primer on the subject would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Chris

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
For the swappables, you'll probably just want to go cheap. You won't have the high current needs a giant scale plane would need, nor a high servo count, so a high voltage system isn't necessary. Since you are on Spektrum protocol, any DSMX/2 Rx will work. I don't know what you have available locally, but HK has a number of Orange Rx's to choose from that are cheaper than stock Spektrums. Really, all you need for most of the swappable series are 4 channel Rx's unless you want ailerons on separate servos on any of the planes with all 4 controls;Throttle, Rudder, Aileron and Elevator

Bolvon72

Mentor
OrangeRx are great, I use them all the time, and lemonRx are just as good, inexpensive, and readily available. about $6 for either type. Never had a problem binding or dropping out on me. You wont have a problem using these with the recommended 9g servos.

The bec in your esc will supply the power regardless of battery size so don't worry about that. (An internal battery elimination circuit, bec, will cut the power from the battery to the receiver so as not to blow anything out.

Last edited:

chriscal

Thanks guys. I Guess I'll go with the OrangeRx 620. Seems like going from 4 channels to 6 for $5 is good bang for the buck and I can use them on other 4 channel planes as the boys advance.

Thanks again.

Chris