Swappable Superhero?

MrGravey

I have played with design and had some success, but I'm not good enough to pull off an RC superhero design. I have looked around and found a few but nothing that is made from the Adams foam board we love around these parts. Has anyone do this? How hard would this be to do?

It doesn't have to be swappable, but it would be pretty cool, and I would actually like a smaller scale than the average I see out and about. If there is anything already out there a link would rock, if not how can we make this happen?

MrGravey

I saw one on the site, I never saw a post on the forum about it. If I remember correctly that was just a mod for one that was built otherwise. Thats fine, but there was no iformation on building the "plane" just on modding it for the power pod.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
HG,

Hate to send anyone elsewhere, but the designer's thread is over on RC Groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505753

Looks like they recommend a 200W+ power system to fly, so you'll need one of the beefier esc/motor combos that FT recommends (not the basic 2730 motors they recommend for the flyer/delta/nutball -- they top out at ~85W).

Merge the designer's build logs together with the pod article here, and you should have a good flyguy, you can swap w/ a BW or Spitfire!

BTW, just saw superman -- After that, I gotta say the flyguy plan makes me itch to build too!

MrGravey

I find it interesting that on these plans the lines don't meet up... If you open the plans there are lines that just stop. I can assume those connect in the ways that look the most logical and go with that. I'll try it out tonight if I can. Thanks for the link. Will this work with Adams foam board? Depron just can't be purshased in my area.

I have done some very interesting things with the swappables and a little more power than they plans call for. I have a Blender with a park 425 in it and a Wonder with a 370. Great things come with great power.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
HG,

Was talking today with someone who was guardedly favorable to the swappables series. His comment is similar to yours -- on an 85w system they will fly, but they won't fly anything above "okay" without a bigger power system.

Dunno. Haven't built one myself yet, and if I had I wouldn't have much to compare it with.

His opinion was that the foamboard was too heavy/sqft, compared to other foams, and you need a little extra juice to make up for it. If that's the case, the flyguy will probably work in foamboard, but will be heavy for size. Your Park 425 with the right prop specs up to 230w, so back of the thumbnail says TLAR.

Of course this is all based off stretching the opinion of one experienced pilot who is not me. Really looking forward to seeing how it progresses!