Swappables landing gear wire thickness?

joker24458

Hey guys,

First off, I'm fairly new to the FliteTest Forum although I have been closely following FliteTest for 2 years and am on the site almost every day. I've scratch built many different planes, many of them FliteTest designs, but 99% of them without landing gear. I'm also about to scratch build an Old Speedster and Simple Storch, but neither of them look "right" without landing gear. Since you can't buy Storch landing gear separate from FliteTest, I would like to just buy the music wire myself.

So, does anyone know what thickness/size the wire is? Is it different for the Speedster and Storch or is it the same for all FT designs?

Thanks!

-Andres

AFAIK, Bixler likes to use and reuse stuff, and a big "design requirement" of FT designs is to use the same materials where possible, so I would say that the music wire is the same throughout. The only mention I saw about thickness was 2mm, but for those who don't have metric sized wire, .074" wire works great.

Last edited:

joker24458

AFAIK, Bixler likes to use and reuse stuff, and a big "design requirement" of FT designs is to use the same materials where possible, so I would say that the music wire is the same throughout. The only mention I saw about thickness was 2mm, but for those who don't have metric sized wire, .074" wire works great.

Ok, thanks! I will use .078" then because that is the closest I could find. Also I have never seen music wire with metric labels, for example the pushrods that FT uses are .032".

-Andres

just a note on the gear wire for a simple storch, the wire thickness is apparently .090" on that one, makes sense, as it is a heavier model