Swept Forward Wings

jmrpb

Breaking the laws of Physics
Swept Forward Wings and 3D Aerobatic Flight

It's holiday season and it's time to build and fly something really special!

Swept forward wings have incredible performance at slow speed with high AOA (angle of attack) capabilities and are also very good at transonic and supersonic speeds. The wind tunnel results have demonstrated that.

This is because of the even ‘cos – co-seno’ function. In theory, if it would be executable, the same exact wing, with the same angle, the Swept forward wing would be better than the contra part wing with the same angle of swept back.

This is my conceptairplane. It has a simple way of vectorial thrust, like some other pusher planes. It does almost any 3D manoeuvre that you can think of, with a very good vertical performance. And, of course, it is also very forgiven and stable if you want to. Most of the times, I catch it by hand.

The power system is the great secret for good low speed and high speed performance.

The specifications are:

Motor: Axi 2208/34 gold line;
Propeller: Graupner 9” 6” Slim cam (exactly 9” 6”, not the smaller ones like you guys use. This is because the 9” 6” is perfect for acceleration from slow speed and high AoA and also have great behaviour at high speeds);
Batteries: #1 Lipo 3 / 850 mA/h with 30C;
Speed controller: Jeti 8A (yes; just only 8 Amps, but this is more than sufficient. With this power system I can maximize my flight times – 10 minutes with 3D and Acro performance or plus 15 minutes with gentle use of the throttle stick (this is, if you can control yourself with this kind of machine :cool:).

The ailerons and the elevators are linked together by one carbon tube.

Roughly, the dimensions are:

Front to tail: 89 cm (overall length);
Front to leading hedge of the wing: 46 cm;
Wingspan: 66 cm;
Leading hedge swept angle (wing): 65º;
Wing trailing hedge swept angle: 55º;
The outer far part of the wing is: 13 cm (with ailerons);
Ailerons have: 8 cm;
Elevator swept angle is: 20º;
Dimensions of elevator (at widest point): 14,5 cm;
Dimensions of rudder (at widest point): 18 cm tall by 13 cm wide (at the bottom);
Weight: 320 grams or ~ 11 oz to ~ 12,5 oz range. Ready to fly (with this set up and battery).

The front part is made of yellow ‘polypropylene’ that makes it almost, and I say ALMOST, indestructible.

I hope that this brief description helps.

It does have a KF airfoil exactly symmetric, top and bottom.

It looks great in the air and it’s guaranteed that you’ll receive all the attention of other RC fellow pilots!

Fallow your dreams and fly like there is no tomorrow.:D

José Bernardo
Lisbon, Portugal, Europe

jmrpb

This are some pictures with detailed information about dimensions and concept.
SFW2.jpg SU 47 V2 JB KF airfoil.jpg SU 47 V2 JB Side View.jpg SU 47 V2 JB Top View Carbon Rods.jpg SU 47 V2 top view Dimensions.jpg DSC02208 b.JPG

Last edited:

jmrpb

Videos while performing some Aerobatics

And here are some movies while performing some 3D aerobatics.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice! I will admit to being totally surprised by the video. I thought that you hadn't thrown it hard enough before I realized what a real "floater" it is.

DamoRC

jmrpb

It’s indeed a very light airframe. Like you have seen in the video, I usually fly it like if it was a small 3D profile airplane. It also can be very stable if you want to.

The other advantage is the swept forward wing concept that gives him a little more lift. And of course, in the airfield it will be an eye catcher :)

Cheers,

Bernardo,
Lisbon, Portugal, Europe

Last edited: