Swift II build. Need some advise...

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I am building a Swift 2, as my second plane, but I have no idea about the finer points of power systems. My overall goal is for it to fly well, and I would like it to have the ability to climb vertically (no FPV, or Hotliner set-ups yet). The world of motor, prop, esc, and battery combo harmony is still a foreign land to me, so any gear recommendations that are in the general range for a plane of this size are appreciated. Thanks....Mike:cool:

crash daily

READY TO SWIFT-IT 2DAY
Hi mike,iv been using a cheap 2600kv motor with a 6x5 prop and a 30amp esc, the battery i am using is a 1300 mah 3s and it had no problem with vertical climbs,i hope this helps. neil

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Thanks Neil, in my search for the proper motor thus far, most of the set-ups I've seen, have had motors in the range of 1,200-to-1,500kV. I was not sure if I could go much higher in kV, or how prop sizes affect motor selection. I was hoping to be able to use a Plush/18A ESC I have on hand, and have seen set-ups with 18A ESCs, but it seems as though they are mostly using 7"-8" props. I am not sure what the advantage of a large vs. small props are? Any insight that will give a better understanding of these issues are welcome.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
DKBas- Great setup HK has been out of those motors and speed contollers forEVER.
C'mon HobbyKing...

UndCon

UndCon
I use a TGY-3530 on my Swift II and a 2200mah LIPO :D
With a 3 bladed 8*6...not super fast but plenty of power and I can go on for ages
(the one in my avatar)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Just curious which KV?

I run a 1700 version of the 3530 with a 7x6 and a 2200mah- 7x6 is probaly about as big as you can go with this setup but its good for around 70+ mph and unlimited verticle

I use a TGY-3530 on my Swift II and a 2200mah LIPO :D
With a 3 bladed 8*6...not super fast but plenty of power and I can go on for ages
(the one in my avatar)

bubsteve

whats wrong with HobbyKing??over 3 years old and at least 500 flight's,,,half as a nightflyer with a TON of led's on it,,most can't afford to pay twice as much for high-end stuff thats mostly made in the same factory:),,,I mostly fly 3-cell's but this vid was a 800 2-cell 20-C,,love my SwiffII :cool: bubsteve
http://vimeo.com/3167769

Attachments

• SAM_0332.jpg
    SAM_0332.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 102
  • SAM_0335.jpg
    SAM_0335.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 99

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
whats wrong with HobbyKing??
Not sure I understand your question.
But as for myself I have a love/hate relationship with them.

I do look at HobbyKing first, their prices are low enough that I can generally accept waiting for a few weeks to get my stuff.

Recently (the last few months) several of the things I have needed have been out of stock, not just for a week or two but for a long time, I've found other sources- To be fair, some of those appear to be having problems keeping things in stock too.

I'll sit on my HobbyKing rant for now. I find them to be an acceptable company to order from and will most likely continue placing orders from them, but other companies like HobbyPartz and Heads Up RC seem to be getting more and more of my business.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
What kind of prop do you plan on using?
Just curious, I generally like 7x6 and around 1700kv with that size plane.
Maybe it can handle an 8x6 apc style prop?

Blue Lipo are good an I have a lot of friends that use them. I've been using the Gensace- when you can catch them on sale they are a good deal. They are a similar tech to the Nanotech.

I have a couple of Hobbypartz motors that I'm REAL happy with. I'm pretty sure they are conservatively rated. I have abused them and they appear to be hungry for more!

(mini-rant)
Note to Hobbyking.
I would have 0 Hobbypartz motors right now if you had ANY TR3530 1700kv and 1400kv motors in stock over the last several months!
(/mini-rant)

Last edited:

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Sorry about that! I had the thought to put in the prop info, but I think just forgot to add it, because I got them local, and didn't have a link for them. I will be trying an APC 8x4 Thin, 7x5 Thin Pusher, 7x6E Thin, and a 7x4 Thin.

Christian

Im building 2 Swifts at the moment. One for me one for my brother. I was also a bit confused at the motor decision because most motors on hobbyking were out of stock. I bought two of those http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12919
Perhaps they are a bit overpowered on 3S so I plan to use them on 2S at the beginning. My brother is just a beginner so 2S with a small prop like 6x4 should work for him. I dont think he needs those 700g of trust :) I will need them :D

UndCon

UndCon
LOL - I have 35/30 on my Swift II :D
I originally had the motor on my Tricopter swinging 10" props pulling ~1Kg each

On the Swift II I now have a 2-blade 8*6 but I had 3-blade 8*6 that was even better.
No major speed with 1100Kv tho...

I also have a Castle creations Mamba micro pro 6800kv motor aimed at 1:18 rc car - it would be nice to have some sort of prop to that one...2mm shaft and a collet ;)

//UndCon

Last edited: