Synergy Box Wing

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So, the building went well. Next stop servo and motor install.
210529_69686d10e46821222ffba54c1a6d1979.jpg

210530_f4f8c6a29dc325af0353aa16724ef52c.jpg
210533_94d5fd908f642cff3d6b6bf84d26f68b.jpg

FoamyDM

If I get a chance I will work up your plane on 22x34" printables... so anyone (I) can print, stick and cut. (my method) your design is very crisp and simple, I like.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

I was thinking that this plane is going to require a control rod bending guide. Especially if you use landscaping wire like me. Also locations for the zip-tie guide.
Something like a line like this:
IMG_20190118_003015703.jpg

FoamyDM

here are some servo details from my build.
IMG_20190118_015424915.jpg IMG_20190118_014317180.jpg IMG_20190118_014257172.jpg
on reflection, I need take more pictures as I build.

FoamyDM

Other servo is in, glued, and the wires set. I built a motor mount so thrust would be through the CM, near the base of hatch near the inner verticals meet the step. I found the best way to adjust the flap neutral point is to shift the zip tie.
Now its time to put a prop and fly it. :)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Looks like a nice little build, but I'm a bit worried about your fuselage shape. The massive downward sloping plane will act like a downwards deflected canard and may make your flight characteristics rather unpredictable in some attitudes. If you find that this is that case a simple fix could be to add a taper up form the bottom (like the FT Long EZ) and the shape would be more aerodynamically stable. That should also increase the efficiency and and make the pitch control more effective.

jpot1

Elite member
@AkimboGlueGuns - surprisingly this flys very stable. It did need 3-4 mm of reflex but otherwise very easy. Check out the video in the first post.

Currently working on v2. Redesigned rear wing making the elevons larger. Foldover FT style wing. Also my first attempt at sketchup going with a rounded canopy. Will post progress this weekend.

jpot1

Elite member
2 hours of inspired building this morning. Lots of tweaks to the plans but was able to get the servo embedded in the inner rear vertical! Motor mounted and hatch cut. Will tweak plans and then do the other rear wing.

1CD895AD-F652-46FB-A1E6-9AC202FE6C22.jpeg

885A998E-32CE-4994-A0EE-6B21F784F24D.jpeg

FoamyDM

looking great.

I took the simple version out for a spin.... :confused:

It was not a success. I launched it, which didn't go up, but down. did you discus throw? When it hit the ground 3 glue joints popped. one was the wing base. so I had to take a moment to re glue. My weather has been rainy, then freezing, and gusty... maybe no the best choice for a maiden.:unsure:

jpot1

Elite member
looking great.

I took the simple version out for a spin.... :confused:

It was not a success. I launched it, which didn't go up, but down. did you discus throw? When it hit the ground 3 glue joints popped. one was the wing base. so I had to take a moment to re glue. My weather has been rainy, then freezing, and gusty... maybe no the best choice for a maiden.:unsure:

Oh no. Yes just a side arm discuss throw at about half throttle. Did you have 4-5mm of reflex?

FoamyDM

None... I thought about it, but as I was putting in reflex, I noticed the left boom released. so stink . (4-5mm reflex) got, it, and it makes sense. (I was really hoping for success this weekend.)
but freezing temps and 12mph gusty winds make for difficult testing :oops: (Here it is... perfect for testing and I'm working away until dark....:cry:)

This plane will have it's day.

jpot1

Elite member
I hear u. We didn’t get snow but it’s been freezing. High didn’t make it to 20 yesterday. Want to get out this weekend to maiden v2.