T-33 Design and Build Log - 50mm EDF

Datum

(PLANS TO COME)

Hey everyone!

I've been really inspired seeing the variety of EDF designs coming out this year- from Mid7Night's C-17 to Andres' X-29 there's been some seriously high-quality builds.

I want to make these planes a bit more accessible. Modern jet designs are built around transonic/supersonic performance which carry a lot of drawbacks in our regime of low-speed flight (see the Sabre Dance as an example), so I went back in time and chose the T-33 to develop.

22104572_10208033442113690_3252706831682031297_o.jpg

Here's my work so far- it should remain a fairly rectangular FT-style design with a big, basic wing. In fact, wing area is double that of a scale model.

Currently, it's a 30" wingspan model, expected to weight about 15oz & 10.5oz/ft^2 wingloading. The 50mm EDF I have pulls 18amps and delivers about 11.5oz static thrust.

I'm gonna try and turn it into some plans as the details get fleshed out more. On the to-do list are:

-Tailplane mounting methods

-EDF Intake and exhaust routing

-Wire routing

-Servo location (I think rudder and elevator servos will hide in the canopy)

-Wing Airfoil Design (spar or no spar?)

As I am new to EDF design, what should I be watching out for? Any tips or tricks to be mindful of? Looking forward to a good project!

Namactual

Elite member
That is a good choice of air frame for an under powered EDF. The large straight wing is great for slow speed flight. Just make sure your EDF can breathe and you should be good. Save your maiden for a good day, (no wind), and keep your inputs slow and smooth.

Looks good so far, keep up the good work.