T9x -> er9x Firmware upgrade fail/bughunt.

NUKLEAR-SLUG

Evening all.

Ok, so I've been attempting to update the stock T9x firmware to er9x as that seems a good move. Soldering isn't a problem so I've wired up the MCU to an IDC10 connector to match the 10way plug from the little USBasp re-programmer I used to successfully re-flash my KK2 board the other day.

Plugging the USB end into the pc the transmitter screen powers up ok and displays a 4.6v feed so there's power getting to the system ok. However running eePe though generates the following error log.

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -U flash:w:C:/Users/NUKLEAR-SLUG/Desktop/er9x.hex:i
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

Which suggests it's not detecting the MCU properly. Now I've checked all the solder connections carefully and they all look good. I've checked I've got the correct wires to right pins on the IDC socket using the pinout diagram and they seem good and I've checked continuity from board to socket pins with a multimeter and they all pair up just fine as well. VCC and ground must be ok or nothing would even be lighting up so I'm thinking I must have a data pin problem somewhere but I'm really not seeing where.

Anyone got any ideas where to look?

Ta.

lonewolf7717

a bit more info would be helpful. is this an older 9x or recently purchased? would you mind taking a pic of of your connections on board? which diagram did you use for IDC-10 pin out? Unfortunately this is a very common problem with a host of different reasons.

lonewolf7717

all that being said, aren't the V2.4 smartieparts boards like $36 now days? I get the DIY, do it yourself approach.....how i flashed my first 9x but for second 9x i went smartieparts.....simple 15 minute plug and play install and i was off and flying in under an hour.

NUKLEAR-SLUG

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
I see you aren't using a flat ribbon cable. Which also means you aren't using a crimp style idc connector. It's easy to get the pins backwards when not using crimped idc connectors.

NUKLEAR-SLUG

It is actually a ribbon cable, you just can't see from the zoomed in shots. Unfortunately I didn't have any crimp ons to hand just a PCB through-hole so a solder job. I've checked by eye and by Multimeter for continuity and they all look fine to me tho, but maybe I'm missing something obvious so here's a couple pics of the connector end:

http://www.dbbr17626.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/side1.jpg

So from top you have:
Pin 1 which is Grey and goes to MOSI
Pin 3 is not connected
Pin 5 which is Black and goes to RST
Pin 7 which is White and goes to SCK
Pin 9 which is Purple and goes to MISO

And the other side..

http://www.dbbr17626.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/side2.jpg

So from bottom up as it's reversed you have:
Pin 2 which is Green and goes to VCC
Pin 4 is not connected
Pin 6 is not connected
Pin 8 is not connected
Pin 10 which is Blue and goes to GND

I've been working off the pinouts from images on these two sites.
http://barrettsprojects.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/er9x-custom-firmware/
http://www.batsocks.co.uk/readme/isp_headers.htm

I had this same problem, turns out my USB programmer couldn't supply enough power to reprogram the radio. I had to bend the VCC pin in the USB connector and plug it in. I then turned the radio on and used it's own power to power it. Works really well. I have programed 5 different radios this way..

I love my 9X you will too.
hope this helps.
Blackkrystal73

RoyBro

Mentor
I had this same problem, turns out my USB programmer couldn't supply enough power to reprogram the radio. I had to bend the VCC pin in the USB connector and plug it in. I then turned the radio on and used it's own power to power it. Works really well. I have programed 5 different radios this way..

I love my 9X you will too.
hope this helps.
Blackkrystal73

Good Tip. We should start compiling these DIY Troubleshooting tips somewhere.