Taft Viper, Summer 2020 project....but might be 2021 before I get to fly it

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Originally ordered in February, cancelled after a month due to changes in freight costs by the time it came in stock, re-ordered at the end of March and it's finally arrived.
It's just an airframe kit needing EDF, ESC, undercarriage, servos, lights so there's plenty do be done and a lot of money to be spent but I'm dead excited !!!!
Pictured here with a semi completed Mighty Mini Mustang for scale.
I have the servos and EDF on order (It will have more thrust that the RTF version)
IMG_20200430_130553525.jpg

Last edited:

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Hi Caroline. I had one of these a couple of years ago. It was my first EDF jet and it was a great choice. Overall it flew very well and very scale. With the stock setup it was a little on the low power side. I fly off grass and even with a 90ft reasonable well manicured strip, it just barely got away in time. Once in the air it was straight as an arrow. I recall the maiden well as I was scared as hell but I need not have worried. In fact I got so into it that I forgot how long I was flying for until the LVC cutoff happened and had to do a belly landing in the long grass!

I think your going to love it especially if you have uprated the power plant a little. What fan did you order?

One thing I also recall is that the elevator hinge was a little too thin and in fact on one flight a whole elevator half came off and I never saw it again. It says a lot for the stability of the design that I never even noticed it was missing until after I had landed. Take a look at yours and consider re-hinging if you are concerned.

Good luck with the project.

Dave.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hi Caroline. I had one of these a couple of years ago. It was my first EDF jet and it was a great choice. Overall it flew very well and very scale. With the stock setup it was a little on the low power side. I fly off grass and even with a 90ft reasonable well manicured strip, it just barely got away in time. Once in the air it was straight as an arrow. I recall the maiden well as I was scared as hell but I need not have worried. In fact I got so into it that I forgot how long I was flying for until the LVC cutoff happened and had to do a belly landing in the long grass!

I think your going to love it especially if you have uprated the power plant a little. What fan did you order?

One thing I also recall is that the elevator hinge was a little too thin and in fact on one flight a whole elevator half came off and I never saw it again. It says a lot for the stability of the design that I never even noticed it was missing until after I had landed. Take a look at yours and consider re-hinging if you are concerned.

Good luck with the project.

Dave.
Hi Dave,
Good to know it fly's as well as I've seen on some YouTube videos.
The EDF unit I've ordered is a 12 blade one putting out 3.5Kg of thrust so that's more than 1:1 power.
I think I will add a stabiliser for super swoopy passes. :)
Caroline

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
I think I will add a stabiliser for super swoopy passes. :)

Hi Caroline,

I'd say for anyone with moderate experience of model flying, this does not need a gyro, its very stable. I'd suggest a gyro is a complication which you can do without. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. Have you flown many EDF jets of this class?

Regards,

Dave.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hi Caroline,

I'd say for anyone with moderate experience of model flying, this does not need a gyro, its very stable. I'd suggest a gyro is a complication which you can do without. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. Have you flown many EDF jets of this class?

Regards,

Dave.
I have an FT X-29 70mm EDF 6S and an FT style L-39 50mm EDF 4S.
Flown them both with no trouble.
15885248915589222604064088443844.jpg 15885249191835875890265346089225.jpg

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
I have an FT X-29 70mm EDF 6S and an FT style L-39 50mm EDF 4S.
Flown them both with no trouble.

They look great BTW. If you can fly them, then I don't think you will have any problem with the viper. It's a pussy cat. The one tip I'd give scaling up in size is the combination of mass of a bigger model and the fact that you don't have an instant power response can take you a little by surprise, so carry even a bit of throttle always. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden.