Tail motor cutting out

stevevm

Tonight I was playing with some settings on my radio (setting expo) and testing by hovering the tricopter. While doing this the tail motor started to glitch in that it seemed to be cutting out briefly. Twice it cut out completely and the tricopter flipped over and crashed. This only seems to happen on a hover as i foolishly kept flying it around to see what would happen. When the motor cuts out there seems to be a slight noise. I've checked all of the wires and they seem secure.

My questions are:
- How do I go about debugging this? I don't have any spare parts but I guess I could slowly swap things around and see if the problem moves
- Is the slight noise a clue? Maybe related to the esc?
- Could this be the kk2? I don't think that vibration is an issue as i've tried to balance everything and have flow with a gopro that produced decent video.

Mustang7302

My guess is it is the ESC which is out of spec from the other two. Either the low-voltage setting is different or it just doesn't perform like it should. Seems like most ESCs are programmable in one way or another to set parameters, as well as there is third party firmware by Simon K which makes the ESC perform better for the multi-copters. Look into these options before swapping parts.

My guess is it is the ESC which is out of spec from the other two. Either the low-voltage setting is different or it just doesn't perform like it should. Seems like most ESCs are programmable in one way or another to set parameters, as well as there is third party firmware by Simon K which makes the ESC perform better for the multi-copters. Look into these options before swapping parts.

Yeah, make sure all escs are identical, switch off the brake, and check your solder joints. The same thing happened to me when my esc got fried. My tri flipped over. The previous day I 'd noticed it was running pretty hot. Check if that esc is running hotter than the others.

stevevm

Thanks, I will take a look at the ESC which is a Turnigy Plush 18 and does not support simonK. Any suggestion for better replacement?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Yes, the Blue series NFET design is very good. I use them unflashed on my 800mm hexcopter.

Thurmond