Help! Tail smashed by giant

Mckee

So... I caved and for my first plane got a hobbyzone super cub. I love it. I've had it for about a week and despite some wind have only ended up in a tree twice. Anyway, flying with my assistant (6 y/o son), and he slipped while walking up a steep hill cub in hand. Here's the damage. I am thinking of getting a couple of foam plates to cut out a new rudder, and maybe build up the damaged bit of the tail section with heavier foam.
IMG_20200517_173627.jpg
IMG_20200517_173621.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So... I caved and for my first plane got a hobbyzone super cub. I love it. I've had it for about a week and despite some wind have only ended up in a tree twice. Anyway, flying with my assistant (6 y/o son), and he slipped while walking up a steep hill cub in hand. Here's the damage. I am thinking of getting a couple of foam plates to cut out a new rudder, and maybe build up the damaged bit of the tail section with heavier foam.
View attachment 169225 View attachment 169226
It lools like all you need is some foam tac, a way to reconnect the rudder servo, a little reinforcement, and she'll be ready to fly. Just be carefyl to put as little wieght as possible in the rear.

Mckee

Foam Tac is on the way. Idk much about foam, but as a boat builder my instincts tell me to cut out and replace the damage bit and to make an entirely new vertical stabilizer. Is that crazy?

Chuppster

Foam Tac is on the way. Idk much about foam, but as a boat builder my instincts tell me to cut out and replace the damage bit and to make an entirely new vertical stabilizer. Is that crazy?

You could but it's unnecessary on a model this small.

Mckee

I had balsa laying around (doesn't everybody?). I added a layer of packing tape on either side (to avoid balsa's tenancy to split along the grain) and re-use the control horn (anchored with hot glue). Then I cut back a strip of the packing tape for better bonding at the glue joint. If it's heavier than the original I can't tell and neither can the plane. My hinge may be a bit stiff.
IMG_20200518_200427.jpg