Take 2 - Building, Rebuilding and Flying

Jimun

Elite member
Lots of rain this week in Southern California. No flying this weekend, plus with the Coronavirius pandemic things are a little crazy. I am praying for everyone.

I did 3d print a landing gear holder for the Simple Cub to replace the damaged foam board one. I like this setup a lot.

IMG_4955.jpeg

IMG_4959.jpeg

Also glued some paper done that was peeling off the wings and nose. The skewer holes were torn a little so I printed out some skewer hole reinforcements and glued them on. She is ready to fly again:D

Jimun

Elite member
I took another look at my TT. The skewer holes on the nose were torn pretty bad. I glued on some skewer reinforcements and the nose is repaired.

IMG_4953.jpeg

The power pod was really tore up. Oh but I had a spare ready go. Also found out I had a bad servo. All repaired and ready to go:D

Look at them - They are ready to go flying again - when the rains stop and things dry up a bit.

IMG_4954.jpeg

Lord I ask that you would bring peace and comfort to my friends and the their family and friends. Keep them safe and protected through these times. I pray for all there needs to be met and that you would bless now greatly. Thank Lord in Jesus name amen.

Jimun

Elite member
Hi everyone, things have really slowed down here in Southern California. I have been still working, but starting now I am down to 3 days a week and that can change any day. Not much building and no flying for the past couple of weeks, been busy with work and running around with my wife gathering supplies. I think we finally got enough toilet paper to last a couple of months, unless we share it with friends in need. The weather has not been good either. I need to find out if the field is open for flying at this time. So I think it is time to get some building done and 3d printing. I want to make my off time useful. I am keeping you all in my prayers. I will try to keep you updated of my progress.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hi everyone, things have really slowed down here in Southern California. I have been still working, but starting now I am down to 3 days a week and that can change any day. Not much building and no flying for the past couple of weeks, been busy with work and running around with my wife gathering supplies. I think we finally got enough toilet paper to last a couple of months, unless we share it with friends in need. The weather has not been good either. I need to find out if the field is open for flying at this time. So I think it is time to get some building done and 3d printing. I want to make my off time useful. I am keeping you all in my prayers. I will try to keep you updated of my progress.
So you are one of those TP hoarders also !!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jimun

Elite member
So you are one of those TP hoarders also !!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Who me!!:sneaky:
Actually my wife and I started this slow down with only a week or 2 of tp left. We were getting a little anxious:cautious: and concerned. We weren't worried knowing something would work out and My daughter in Ohio came across a case online and ordered it. It took a week before we knew it was shipped and we got the tracking number. That is only 1 case, not a closet or room full:LOL:. My wife has already giving some away to those that need it. Hope you all have your paperwork taken care of.:giggle::giggle:

Jimun

Elite member
Thought I would work on this today.

Landing Gear 01.jpg

Landing gear I printed awhile back. I got it on the Spit, I will upload the video of it working in my garage.

I have an issue when I connect the ailerons. I get a buzz in the landing gear servos and they act wacky. This happens when I have everything connected and then connect the battery. If I have the ailerons disconnected and then connect the battery the landing gear works and then if I connect the ailerons everything works. If I disconnect the battery and connect it back the buzz is back and things are wacky again. Anybody have any ideas of what is going on or what I should check. I have the side of the landing gear connected to the gear location on the receiver and the other is connected to the aux.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thought I would work on this today.

View attachment 163728

Landing gear I printed awhile back. I got it on the Spit, I will upload the video of it working in my garage.

I have an issue when I connect the ailerons. I get a buzz in the landing gear servos and they act wacky. This happens when I have everything connected and then connect the battery. If I have the ailerons disconnected and then connect the battery the landing gear works and then if I connect the ailerons everything works. If I disconnect the battery and connect it back the buzz is back and things are wacky again. Anybody have any ideas of what is going on or what I should check. I have the side of the landing gear connected to the gear location on the receiver and the other is connected to the aux.

Possibly to much amp draw on the bec when it initializes and doesn't give the rx enough when having all servos connected

Jimun

Elite member
Possibly to much amp draw on the bec when it initializes and doesn't give the rx enough when having all servos connected
Thanks @Wildthing, I am not using a bec, I am just using the 35A esc from the FT C power pack. Do you think it is ok to use if I connect the battery and then the ailerons servos?

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks @Wildthing, I am not using a bec, I am just using the 35A esc from the FT C power pack. Do you think it is ok to use if I connect the battery and then the ailerons servos?
The bec is built into the esc, should have the amp rating right on the sticker of the esc. More then likely it is only 2 amps, some will have 3 or more amps . I have some external bec's that have a 5 amp rating which I use when I am running a lot of servos

Jimun

Elite member
Here is the video for the Landing gear test operation

I had trouble working with the rear landing gear so I search for other options. I came across a simple plate on thingiverse.com that glues onto the tail of the fuselage and uses a piece of wire. You can find it here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2333647 . I printed it and it was to big, so I got on Fusion 360 and did a design based on this piece. Here are my first pieces:

Landing Gear 03.jpg

I watch videos to learn how to design on Fusion 360 and I also worked on get my 3d printing bed level. Mine has a glass bed but I found out it has a warp that I had to try to correct. After working on the bed and designing the new parts for a couple of days off and on, this is what I have come up with.

Landing Gear 02.jpg

Landing Gear 04.jpg

I still have to Print a tire and bend the wire for it .

Jimun

Elite member
I made it to the field last Saturday. There were several others there to. It was a good day to fly. Sorry no video or pictures, just a time to get out and fly. The TT got me warmed up, yes it still fly's. Tried the Spit with the retracks and it failed:(. So I cut them off and flew it anyway. I really like how she fly's. I am getting better at inverted flying. I just about made a full lap around the field. I could not get the Simple cub off the ground and broke 2 props trying. I just need to practice more with the landing gear. It was a good day.

mayan

Legendary member
I made it to the field last Saturday. There were several others there to. It was a good day to fly. Sorry no video or pictures, just a time to get out and fly. The TT got me warmed up, yes it still fly's. Tried the Spit with the retracks and it failed:(. So I cut them off and flew it anyway. I really like how she fly's. I am getting better at inverted flying. I just about made a full lap around the field. I could not get the Simple cub off the ground and broke 2 props trying. I just need to practice more with the landing gear. It was a good day.
Wow buddy happy to hear these great news. Like me on my last two outings ditched the camera for pure enjoyable flying time.