Take 2 - Building, Rebuilding and Flying

Jimun

Elite member
I Have 1 year of flying Foam board Planes now. I have had a blast and made a lot of new friends, @mayan , @kilroy07 , @bracesport , @buzzbomb , @CarolineTyler , @Wildthing , @Grifflyer, @BATTLEAXE (sorry if I missed anyone) and I got a lot of help from more members in the forums. Thank you all for all the help and encouragement.

I have been away from it for a couple of months, just life, Holidays, work and on and on. So today I have time to get to work. I have planes to rebuild - Tiny Trainer and MS Spitfire, and planes to build - finish the Simple Cub, build another MS Corsair, Simple Scout and more. I also have a 25 year old kit of a wood and fiberglass 55" wingspan plane still in the box. The wing is put together and the fuselage is formed fiberglass. I won it in a raffle at the RC club.

So this is my thread to share the continuation of my journey in flight.

For anyone who wants to see how I started you can check out this thread: 59 year old newbie

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
I Have 1 year of flying Foam board Planes now. I have had a blast and made a lot of new friends, @mayan , @kilroy07 , @bracesport , @buzzbomb , @CarolineTyler , @Wildthing , @Grifflyer and I got a lot of help from more members in the forums. Thank you all for all the help and encouragement.

I have been away from it for a couple of months, just life, Holidays, work and on and on. So today I have time to get to work. I have planes to rebuild - Tiny Trainer and MS Spitfire, and planes to build - finish the Simple Cub, build another MS Corsair, Simple Scout and more. I also have a 25 year old kit of a wood and fiberglass 55" wingspan plane still in the box. The wing is put together and the fuselage is formed fiberglass. I won it in a raffle at the RC club.

For anyone who wants to see how I started you can check out this thread: 59 year old newbie
I started roughly 6 years ago, 0 scratch building, 0 flying capabilities, 0 designing, all through the rc community online are the people who taught me.

When you starting on the kit? Make sure to start a thread on it too.

mayan

Legendary member
I Have 1 year of flying Foam board Planes now. I have had a blast and made a lot of new friends, @mayan , @kilroy07 , @bracesport , @buzzbomb , @CarolineTyler , @Wildthing , @Grifflyer and I got a lot of help from more members in the forums. Thank you all for all the help and encouragement.

I am happy to be called your friend. The first journey was a blast can’t wait to see what you have coming :). I am watching this thread like I did the other one. Will have to update my reference thread too now :).

OliverW

Legendary member

I started 10 years ago with little experience. My dad threw me on the sim, and I was hooked! A year later I had my first flight on a slow stick... I didn't know scratch building existed until a few years ago, and I am hooked! Tomorrow I am building @JGplanes white diamond

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Even though I wasn't called out as one of your friends I will say welcome back and good to have you active again. I am to interested in seeing how your balsa kit goes together and good luck on the rest of the builds. I have been waiting for the MS Spit plans for awhile now and when they release them I might be calling out a group build on it, would love to have you join up (y)

Jimun

Elite member
Even though I wasn't called out as one of your friends I will say welcome back and good to have you active again. I am to interested in seeing how your balsa kit goes together and good luck on the rest of the builds. I have been waiting for the MS Spit plans for awhile now and when they release them I might be calling out a group build on it, would love to have you join up (y)
Friend you are and thank you (I added you to the list). I have made many friends here. I did not mean to leave you out, I was trying to remember everyone.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Friend you are and thank you (I added you to the list). I have made many friends here. I did not mean to leave you out, I was trying to remember everyone.
Haha all good man, I was just messing with ya! How was the vacation, where did you go?

Jimun

Elite member
Haha all good man, I was just messing with ya! How was the vacation, where did you go?
My wife and I spend Christmas with our daughter, her husband and our grand-kids. We had a wonderful time. They live in Dayton, OH now. My son in-law is stationed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. He just started teaching at the Air Force Institute of Technology this year. This is what he does for fun:

Bryans fun.jpg

Oh and this is what he teaches.:unsure::D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Wildthing

Legendary member
My wife and I spend Christmas with our daughter, her husband and our grand-kids. We had a wonderful time. They live in Dayton, OH now. My son in-law is stationed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. He just started teaching at the Air Force Institute of Technology this year. This is what he does for fun:

View attachment 157200

LOL, he should be designing your planes

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 157200

I am sure you have gone to the Air Force museum there then, I know I would like to go

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I Have 1 year of flying Foam board Planes now. I have had a blast and made a lot of new friends, @mayan , @kilroy07 , @bracesport , @buzzbomb , @CarolineTyler , @Wildthing , @Grifflyer, @BATTLEAXE (sorry if I missed anyone) and I got a lot of help from more members in the forums. Thank you all for all the help and encouragement.

Welcome back buddy! It's nice to hear from you again!! I'm interested in this wood/fiberglass plane is it a trainer type plane or more of a sport plane?

Jimun

Elite member
Today I finished the Simple Cub Wing and Fuselage. Next is to install the servos and power pod. I should have it ready in a few more days.

Simple Cub 01.jpg

The builds take longer then I plan. I have to watch the video step by step. I have made mistakes not checking and double checking the videos. I think I will paint it yellow with some kind of black trim.

Jimun

Elite member
The old kit I got is Deluxe Junior Telemaster, I think I measured a 53" wingspan. I cannot find any information online and I contact the maker of the kit but they no longer had any information either.
Here is a picture of an old Senior Telemaster:

download.jpg

As I have searched for this I have seen wing spans from 40" to 12'.

They are made for a gas engine, but I am going to convert it to electric. I will do a build thread when I start this. I do want to get a lot better before trying to fly it :)

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
The old kit I got is Deluxe Junior Telemaster, I think I measured a 53" wingspan. I cannot find any information online and I contact the maker of the kit but they no longer had any information either.
Here is a picture of an old Senior Telemaster:

View attachment 157203
As I have searched for this I have seen wing spans from 40" to 12'.

They are made made for a gas engine, but I am going to convert it to electric. I will do a build thread when I start this. I do want to get a lot better before trying to fly it :)
I have the senior telemaster. It just needs the rest of the covering to be pulled off
20190914_190049.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
@Jimun - welcome back - the telemaster is a great kit!

I had heaps of intention to fly hard over the summer, but life has a way of getting in the way sometimes - I did not fly in Jan and Feb is not looking great with my slope buddy away and I am having eye surgery late Feb - so the flying has not gone as planned but I am still chipping away in the hobby - I have been working on the CAD for three carbon fibre glider designs (1.3m Pitcheron, 1.5m aerobatic glider, and a 3.0m retro glider) for a known brand which has been cool and I will get some 'moldies' for my trouble out of the deal which will bolster my fleet (kinda exciting) - the restoration of my EPP slope soarer is coming along slowly with the wing being filled with Gorilla glue and is now waiting for some sanding and taping - I did order 3 new FRsky Rx's (the RX6R) which I am excited to receive - they are 6ch and very small with better RSSI performance - hopefully it all comes together for some flying in the near future! :D

Regards,
Phil

Jimun

Elite member
Got some work in today. I got my Tiny Trainer ready to go. She is looking worn out but is still flyable. I use her to warm up 1st and then towards the end if my other planes are not flyable. She takes a beating but keeps going on and on. I am painting the Simple cub and then get the ready to fly.

Take 2 - 04.jpg

I am taking a second look at this

Take 2 - 05.jpg

There is a lot broken and smashed, but I think I will resurrect her. The wing is still good, I just need to repair the nose and glue and reinforce a couple of breaks in the fuselage. Then she might fly again.

I plan on trying to get out to the field tomorrow morning at least with the TT and maybe the Simple Cub if I can get her finished. I think the Spitfire might take me a little longer to fix her.