Take off with Landing Gear Question

Fishbonez

Just a quick question. I added landing gear to my Stinger 64 and tried it out today but I could not seem to get it up in the air and I am not sure why. I headed into the wind at full throttle with up elevator and ran out of runway/parking lot each time. Never got any lift at all. Was hoping maybe you all might have some thoughts. Could it be that the parking lot was to short and I just need that a lot more room? LG backward? To heavy? I have added some pics of my LG in case I may have the rear wheels backward the only thing I could come up with but was unsure.
Conditions:
1. Wind from the SE at apx 10 MPH
2. motor 64mm EDF
3. Elevation 6,062 ft (heard that can be a problem. I know I cant fly an EDF smaller than 64mm)
4. Sunny skies and RC Gawds were smiling all day

I eagerly await you input
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSCN1483.JPG
    DSCN1483.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN1484.JPG
    DSCN1484.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1485.JPG
    DSCN1485.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1486.JPG
    DSCN1486.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1487.JPG
    DSCN1487.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 37

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The nose gear may need to be a bit longer to give it a nose-high attitude while sitting on the ground. This will increase the angle of attack and help "un-stick" the plane from the runway.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, simple solution, MORE POWER!!!

Aside from that, how long is your current runway? Stingers I've seen need about 30-40m, although that's on short grass. Also check your wheels are nice and smooth all the time. Remember that what you're trying to do is create enough airflow over the wings to generate lift, and that jet-style wing structures need more speed to create this.

Although if it was me, I'd upgrade the power system...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Tricycle gear need to be very close to the CG to work properly so the plane will rotate when it gets going fast enough.
Attitude also very important like bikemonkey said.
Weight is also very likely a factor, can you still fly it from a hand launch with the gear attached?

Fishbonez

Thanks everyone, I kinda thought the LG had something to do with it, but the rear and front gear are mounted in the manufactured spot on the wing and fuselog, the cutout if you will and she balanced nose heavy at the CG point, To move them would require modification, which I have no problem with but dont want to tear up wing experimenting. I did not try to hand launch it for I just wanted everything to come home in one piece that day :rolleyes:
I wish I could attach the PDF file showing the CG and location of landing gear but I cant so I shall try to explain it if that helps
Cg Range from 65-70mm from the front of the wing where it meets the fuse.

Derrick_Miller

I agree with jetpackninja, the Main gear need to be really close to the CG... so that the elevator has enough authority to rotate and get the angle of attack you need for flight.

From the picture... Can you just swap the right and left sides of the landing gear? This would angle the wheels forward rather than back and put them closer to the planes CG. I am unfamiliar with this plane and what is under the plastic cover to know if this would work... just an idea.

Fishbonez

I agree with jetpackninja, the Main gear need to be really close to the CG... so that the elevator has enough authority to rotate and get the angle of attack you need for flight.

From the picture... Can you just swap the right and left sides of the landing gear? This would angle the wheels forward rather than back and put them closer to the planes CG. I am unfamiliar with this plane and what is under the plastic cover to know if this would work... just an idea.

Thanks all for the help. Swapped the rear wheels so the angle was tword the CG mark and gave her a go. You all were right she needs a lot of take off room and the wheels need to be pointed or at the CG point.

I went down the parking lot giving it full speed once I thought she could go no faster I gave her full up elevator she continued to race down the runway and just when I was about to drop the throttle she coasted right on up. YEHAW!! Unfortunatly the flight dd not last to long because of then newly found drag on the plane which took some getting used to. Thanks again WHAT A RUSH!!

teflyer

Full Circle
Awesome! Now try to put the nose up on the landing gear as bicyclemonkey and RCplaneguy suggested. RC powers with the Su-27 had a problem with the plane sticking to the ground for too long before taking off and just altered the landing gear so that the nose was higher.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I guess I'm a couple of days late here, but yes, I would have swapped right and left LG so that they were closer to the CG. And if that didn't work I would have raised the nose a bit.

With tricycle landing gear, the center gear need to be just a bit behind the CG location so that it isn't needed much elevator input to tip the plane up into the air.