Taking the plunge

Dunfielder

Well at 40 yrs old I'm gonna do it. Always liked the thought of rc planes, but could never think of building a balsa plane just to wreck it. So I was crusin the Youtube and came across Flite Test vids. Seeing what can be done fairly easily by the look of it with foam board. I'm in man. Just ordered power pack C. Not sure what I'll scratch build yet but I cant wait to fly and probably wreck it!!! Showed some of the vids to my brother and now he wants to have a go at it too. This should be fun.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Well at 40 yrs old I'm gonna do it. Always liked the thought of rc planes, but could never think of building a balsa plane just to wreck it. So I was crusin the Youtube and came across Flite Test vids. Seeing what can be done fairly easily by the look of it with foam board. I'm in man. Just ordered power pack C. Not sure what I'll scratch build yet but I cant wait to fly and probably wreck it!!! Showed some of the vids to my brother and now he wants to have a go at it too. This should be fun.
I would suggest a tiny trainer for a new pilot, but it probably won’t work with the power pack c. A good plane for the power pack c is the FT storch. I haven’t built one myself, but I know that it is a nice and slow plane. Also, there are some nice trainer type planes in the resource section of the forums to choose from. Whatever you choose though, make sure to keep us updated! Welcome to RC flying and to the FT forums! Good luck!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
If you are looking for a 4 channel plane I would go with the Simple stick by @The Hangar. It's only 7 pieces of foam and it's so easy to fly. It's honestly the best flying foamy I've ever had. (Just reinforce the spar with some ply-wood or something) ;)

Good luck!

whackflyer

Master member
Oh no no no ! I think I'm gonna build a warbird hahahaha. Pretty sure that's rule number one, don't build a warbird but I've never been much for rules. If it flies for 2 seconds I'll giggle my butt off. Already got a name picked for my bird. Lawn Dartin.
Build the original Spitfire if you do a warbird. It could almost be called a trainer. I think @mayan would second me on that. Welcome to the forums!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Oh no no no ! I think I'm gonna build a warbird hahahaha. Pretty sure that's rule number one, don't build a warbird but I've never been much for rules. If it flies for 2 seconds I'll giggle my butt off. Already got a name picked for my bird. Lawn Dartin.
How about the P-40? I don't know how it flies but I'm under the impression that @BATTLEAXE has built and flown one before.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Seems like the P-40 will be your best bet!
1591512139118.png

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
P-40 or Spitfire would be the way to go. Both great builds as well. If it was me i would do the Spit, can't go wrong on that one

shadeyB

Legendary member

It is fun especially when your dog fighting with your brother ☺️ That’s what got me hooked

You will wreck it but I would suggest you buy stocks and shares in hot glue ... I didn’t but feel they owe me some shares
And the 1st rule is fly what you love , I’d suggest the spitfire for 1st plane 😍
Nothing like the silhouette of that girl in the air and when you crash it and you will you can say your reacting history lol

Welcome to the club and can’t wait to see your planes and hear about your stories
Just remember if there’s no video it didn’t happen 👍

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Spit was my first warbird and I loved how easy the build was. Still looking for a calm dry day to trim it out properly but in the 30 secs I had it in the air it was awesome. Do yourself a favor and spend some time on a sim before you venture out IRL. You can go with something like Realflight for $$$ or any number of the free sims (I'm partial to Pheonix). It lets you work on basics and how the sticks change with perspective without the high stakes of losing your model so you have less things to worry about when you get to the field.

Dunfielder

Not totally new to flight. I've spent hundreds of hours on il-2 and other sims in realistic mode. I understand flight very well. I haven't tried an RC sim but maybe I will. Right stick is the joystick and left is your throttle and rudder. Should be simple. I also have thousands of hours running hydraulic pickers in the oilfield, which has left me with very good fingers and feel for touchy controls. I've had nitro rc trucks on and off for years so coming towards yourself won't mess me up as bad. I'm really doing this purely for fun. If I wreck a plane it took a day to build and 10 bucks of foam board, I could care less. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions everyone. Printed my P-40 warhawk plans last night. Gonna start making the templates this evening!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Not totally new to flight. I've spent hundreds of hours on il-2 and other sims in realistic mode. I understand flight very well. I haven't tried an RC sim but maybe I will. Right stick is the joystick and left is your throttle and rudder. Should be simple. I also have thousands of hours running hydraulic pickers in the oilfield, which has left me with very good fingers and feel for touchy controls. I've had nitro rc trucks on and off for years so coming towards yourself won't mess me up as bad. I'm really doing this purely for fun. If I wreck a plane it took a day to build and 10 bucks of foam board, I could care less. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions everyone. Printed my P-40 warhawk plans last night. Gonna start making the templates this evening!!
Good choice on the P-40. The warbirds are always fun, plus the look so cool with scale flying lo passess right in fornt of ya. Good Luck on the build, be sure to get video of the maiden so we all can enjoy

daniZZ

Sounds like myself....
I'm building the second P40 airframe right now. It is a very easy build. I wasn't so lucky with the maiden of it, so I'm on building another one......
I'm logging my build progress in the P40 build thread and you will see that I'm not in a hurry...
See you there.

Last edited: