Tales (the long and the short and the tall) of flying in UK Weather.

FDS

Elite member
Hot glue has been deployed, it’s nearly fixed, apart from the bent motor shaft. Fixing my van first, Dynamo pulley rounded itself on 23rd, it took until today to get the parts.
Flying again today, as it’s still great weather. My crap mini cam died so no film that s week.

FDS

Elite member
It’s been glorious flying weather 5 days in a row. I have some onboard video, I will put it all up on my Tiny Trainer thread.
Anyone else flying this week?

Mode 1

Flew today. Cold.. mid 20's. Launched a Mini Arrow with elevons reversed. (brain freeze) Thankfully it landed on its belly after doing a violent snap-roll at about 10 feet. oddly, the only damage was a cracked firewall.

Reactions: FDS

IanSR

It’s been glorious flying weather 5 days in a row. I have some onboard video, I will put it all up on my Tiny Trainer thread.
Anyone else flying this week?

Only scaring myself shitless with a 5" quad for a while, I'm building a Super Bee too and hope to have that flying tomorrow or so.

FDS

Elite member
What a difference a day makes! Flying tomorrow night I reckon. Flying the SE5A and maybe my TT.
0CE27AF8-E16E-4B58-95C3-16FAE785C519.png

FDS

Elite member
WHAT AWESOME FLYING WEATHER!
If you have been stuck at work today, I am so sorry for this post! I have flown everything today, in aT shirt, in glorious sunshine with not a cloud in the sky. Those sacrifices to the weather god were totally worth it.
I maidened my big Stretch Sportster, which is 50mm longer in the nose. It needs a bigger prop and I found out the hard way 3mm ply is not manly enough for the firewall when the big motor ripped itself out the firewall after 60ft. It’s fixed now, 4.5mm PVC sheet and Epoxy have sorted it. Here she is before the front got some prop scars.
It’s a scary big bird. All up weight is about 830g.
9F7065B5-80DA-4DA7-B40F-9740CBDF7F0B.jpeg

Just charging batteries then off for my THIRD session today.
If the wind drops I might run the SE5 tonight, here’s the finished paint, just a little weathering to the green required.
83B62D9A-642D-471D-B81E-0015A003AEC6.jpeg

Will be flying with my son tonight too, he will likely run the Sport Cub and get a battery or two in on the TT.

IanSR

Same, took the bloody wonder out to test it on 4s (holy shyte!) but busted two props (long story, it had a prop saver on but it has so much power the orings physically snap on 4s so I had to go back to a non-prop saver setup) so came home and Jerry rigged some landing gear on it for tomorrow, I want to stay up and watch the trucks from Daytona tonight so am not going back out otherwise I'd be knackered walking so far.

Was flying for a few hours almost non-stop with FPV tinywhoop in a sports hall last night too so I'm a bit burnt out not being used to so much flying this time of year lol

FDS

Elite member
Video from today, sorry its a bit short, but my £5 camera is acting like the cheap trash it is and not recording longer than a few minutes! Will shoot more tomorrow, we planned to do a double WW1 flight but the wind stayed up, which meant the biplane and triplane stayed down!

IanSR

Had great fun today darn sarf, weather was near perfect, best bit was having to negotiate with two old horses so they'd let me in their paddock to retrieve my quad that I'd crashed, several handfulls of grass was enough of a bribe LOL

FDS

Elite member
Almost the BEST EVENINGS FLYING EVER! Well it was for me and the kids anyway. Weather was amazing, my son launched and flew his DR1 on his own, the battery was lasting over 12mins, all I had to do was land it (ish, it stopped upside down both times!) My daughter flew the Sport Cub S on the T12 transmitter, then my son was teaching her how to fly whilst I had the TT up!
We had two in the circuit for most of the time we were flying and never got close to any collisions. Kids were superb, helped each other out and we flew off camp chairs. Lawn Chair Pilots Association is now a thing!
No pictures, only memories.

smiling albert

Just spotted this.
As and when I do get flying I shall be looking out for farmers who want add a bit of realism peppering my plane with Flak.
Wonder if any of them have one of these
flaming onion ww1
Farmers have always been known to be keen with the old 12 bore,remember Percy EDWARDS the famous bird impersonator being peppered with grapeshot when a local farmer mistook his mating call of the lesser spotted grebe for the real McCoy and let him have it both barrels.
His tweet was never the same again imo!

FDS

Elite member
Got buzzed today by some numpty VFR pilot well under 250ft, I saw him coming and had landed but he was low enough after crossing the field I was in that I thought he was coming in to land. No idea what they were playing at as we fly right in the edge of town on top of a hill.

IanSR

Report him to the CAA, especially if you got the tail number and video of it, they have a dedicated department that investigates this stuff and can suspend or ban pilots.

If I didn't know better I'd say this was being deliberately done, we've had several incidents around here lately of low flying aircraft and helicopters including one that buzzed the housing estate at less than 250 foot with an AW12 (a frigging huge copter) and the same guy nearly hit a drone last week about 5 miles west of here. I've got so pissed off with it that I have taken to emailing the local Air Traffic Control with details of where I am flying and when and reminding them that it is their legal duty to ensure aircraft in this area are made aware of the UAV operations and maintain at least 1000 feet altitude.

My attempts to try and negotiate with the SATCO have fallen flat, he no longer responds to my requests for an annual exemption to operate just inside his FRZ (put in writing with detailed maps as he tells people to), and has done the same with the three or four other model flyers that use this copse, everything was all friendly and helpful, right up until the day the law changed then we've all been met with a wall of silence.

The stupid thing is, the field next door, is outside of the exclusion zone, so I can legally fly there whenever I want, so I've taken to emailing them when I fly there, and I make sure I make it clear that I am not asking permission nor am I legally obliged to inform them of my plans and that I am only doing so with the hope of future co-operation.

I have never received a reply either from the SATCO or control tower, but suprise suprise, when I'm flying there, the planes and helicopters give the area a wide berth. Originally I would not give two hoots, but my attitude is now we're being held to some crazy high standards, so I'm going to hold them to their standards too now.

This is a small "aerodrome" whose only real busy period is weekends, contrast that "co-operation" with Gatwick and Heathrow, who have gone out of their way to help the clubs now falling in their FRZs. Tells you enough that does.

FDS

Elite member
I was flying, so didn’t get the reg, CAA will only investigate if you have video/photos (unless it’s a pilot reporting a DRONE..) If I get a chance I will ask a few local pilots if they know who it is.

IanSR

Yup, I'm considering rebuilding the ARWing and giving it a fly this weekend, weather is so good. In our club there are only about five or six who fly drones and I think the plan is for us to decend on the flying field tomorrow en-mass and set a track up, that'll probably put the regular balsa only fixed wing pilots back up again lol.