Tape......?

BugbugsDaddy

Curiosity strikes! Has anyone used tape, JUST tape (no glue), for assembly of one of the FT flyers? If so, how'd it work out?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Curiosity strikes! Has anyone used tape, JUST tape (no glue), for assembly of one of the FT flyers? If so, how'd it work out?
I've never tried building a plane without any glue. I have had glue joints fail and have used tape as a field fix. The fix worked so well I've never gone back and glued the joint.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I do a STEM day with Cub scouts and we just use tape. Some parts it's great. The 90 joints are less so. That would be perfect with glue. It is possible to design around it.

jross

Don't see any reason you couldn't do it. As stated already, more complicated builds would be tough.

Foldover wings (on almost every FT plane) would need something like double sided tape to work. Installing things like doublers would be a challenge. I'm sure you could do it but it would be a PITA. I'd suggest using glue where necessary and tape where you can. I tape all my planes before assembly and corners/exposed seams afterwards. Takes me longer to cover a corner with tape than it does to glue it together so you'd likely be extending your build times.

You'd have to play with it for sure. I've learned lots of little tricks with tape. Once you learn to work with it, planes turn out well and have loads of extra strength for little added weight.

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Should have been a little more clear...I would not recommend it for an electric powered model capable of any significant speeds because I believe it could come apart in flight, unless you add enough tape (increasing overall model weight) to keep it together. In such case the hot glue or glue gives more strength at probable less weight.

I think for a chuck glider, tape would be fine. This is just my opinion--not fact--feel free to give it a try after all it is only paper/foam!! I have built lots of DTFB planes --most all with glue / hot glue. I DO NOT have any powered planes or chuck gliders with just tape in my fleet to give a factual answer---just opinion.