Taping FT Storch control surface hinge areas?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I am building my first speed build kit, the Storch. It's a learning experience and I have made some mistakes. One of them was trimming the hinge surfaces too close to the paper, or uneven then sanding them down to the paper. You can guess what happened, the paper hinge gave way and the control surface is falling off the wing. So, I backed up the ailerons with tape on the other side an also hot glued the area like in the build video. While it may not look pretty, I think after I paint it the tape will be less noticeable. The wing seems very strong now and also the control surface seems very sturdy. I also had to tape the leading edge of the wing because, yes I did, trimmed the 45% angle too close to the paper. Never the less, the wing looks to be very durable now. I am using 3" strapping tape that I got from work for free (borrowed permanently...) I think 2" tape might be better, but the 3" is very strong and wide.

My questions are, Is that the preferred method of repair for the control surface hinges? Maybe I should be more carful in the future with other builds? But the tape on the opposite side seems so durable now...

Am I using too wide of packing tape? Does it matter?

Thanks,
D

kdobson83

Ive used regular old scotch tape, the kind u wrap presents with when I cut my hinge too deep. Along with a little hot glue on the hinge and you should be fine. I don't see any problem at all with the way you did it. BUT, the more tape u use the more weight u add. But I'd imagine your not adding much. Seems like your on the right track. But I'm sure others have other ways of doing it. This forum is a treasure trove of secrets and advice. Lol
Good luck

Verris

I've been taping all of my leading edges on my wings as I've managed to cut a couple too close and even had one split in half entirely. It seems to make them nice and strong. The storch can carry so much weight a little extra tape shouldn't cause any issues.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I completely sanded through the hinge of one aileron on my bloody baron. I used 3M plastic tape and it is still good a year later. I

siezed

I am building my first speed build kit, the Storch. It's a learning experience and I have made some mistakes. One of them was trimming the hinge surfaces too close to the paper, or uneven then sanding them down to the paper. You can guess what happened, the paper hinge gave way and the control surface is falling off the wing. So, I backed up the ailerons with tape on the other side an also hot glued the area like in the build video. While it may not look pretty, I think after I paint it the tape will be less noticeable. The wing seems very strong now and also the control surface seems very sturdy. I also had to tape the leading edge of the wing because, yes I did, trimmed the 45% angle too close to the paper. Never the less, the wing looks to be very durable now. I am using 3" strapping tape that I got from work for free (borrowed permanently...) I think 2" tape might be better, but the 3" is very strong and wide.

My questions are, Is that the preferred method of repair for the control surface hinges? Maybe I should be more carful in the future with other builds? But the tape on the opposite side seems so durable now...

Am I using too wide of packing tape? Does it matter?

Thanks,
D

You can try a weaved tape hinge for this build or your next, I'm done using the Ft glue hinges, they delaminate way too easily causing slop. Heres a video of what I'm talking about, I wish I knew about them a long time ago when I started scratch building; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0AwuPourw There's a few different ways but that's the one I'm using basically.

To fix an already beveled control surface you'd just need to cut the bevel off and start with a square edge. I use these because I'm sick of delaminated Ft hinges (the paper/tape separates from the hinge very easily mostly where the control horn is) but it also is a way to skip the bevel. I really think FT should switch to these type hinges, they're so sturdy and free moving.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I did the ones from the "Old School Hinges" article on flitetest: http://www.flitetest.com/articles/improve-your-hinges-by-goin-ol-school for a Sea Otter. Note that the author suggests using fishing line instead of thread. I followed that advice. The fishing line is very, very strong and works well. I accidentally used none foam safe CA glue, or there is just something wrong with the CA. It did not cure well in the foam. The hinge still seems fine. So, I suggest you test your CA first and make sure it cures with the foam you are using.

It takes some time to get used to doing them, but after about the fourth hinge, I found it pretty easy.

I haven't flown the plane yet.

Mike

siezed

I did the ones from the "Old School Hinges" article on flitetest: http://www.flitetest.com/articles/improve-your-hinges-by-goin-ol-school for a Sea Otter. Note that the author suggests using fishing line instead of thread. I followed that advice. The fishing line is very, very strong and works well. I accidentally used none foam safe CA glue, or there is just something wrong with the CA. It did not cure well in the foam. The hinge still seems fine. So, I suggest you test your CA first and make sure it cures with the foam you are using.

It takes some time to get used to doing them, but after about the fourth hinge, I found it pretty easy.

I haven't flown the plane yet.

Mike

Yea ive seen those, I might try that type of hinge too. Ca doesn't work well with monofilament fishing line, it melts it then makes it brittle, that might be your problem, braided fishing line or dental floss I think would be ideal.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Yea ive seen those, I might try that type of hinge too. Ca doesn't work well with monofilament fishing line, it melts it then makes it brittle, that might be your problem, braided fishing line or dental floss I think would be ideal.

I think it braided. Anyhow, I used what is recommended in the article. The line is fine. It's the CA in the foam that has issues.

Mike

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks everyone, next build I may try the weaved tape hinge method, its looks easy and no need to bevel cut...