Taranis FrSky Smart Port sensors Question

bitogre

I cannot find info on the SP-FLVS on the FrSky website so I do not know the answer for that sensor. However, I do know that the MLVSS and FLVSS do support putting multiple in the same aircraft, though you do have to change the channel of the sensor for 2 of the 3 sensors. The one you have a link to looks like the FLVSS but I do know FrSky did put out a similar sensor that did not support changing channels so be careful that the sensor you are using can have its channel changed (though that requires the FrSky channel changer).

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I have two I can try and test for you. I would think it would work if you wanted to just see the LOWEST cell reported in the chain. I don't think you could see data for each cell though like you can with just one sensor.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I don't have those sensors but with smart port each sensor has an id and comes with the default id for that sensor. To run multiple you have to change the ids of the additional sensors so they each have a unique id.

I'm not sure how you change the id.

bitogre

I don't have those sensors but with smart port each sensor has an id and comes with the default id for that sensor. To run multiple you have to change the ids of the additional sensors so they each have a unique id.

I'm not sure how you change the id.

I have not tried it myself but I think you need to use the FrSky Servo Channel Changer. Or, at least, that is what the manual for the FLVSS says to use to change the ID.

bitogre

I have two I can try and test for you. I would think it would work if you wanted to just see the LOWEST cell reported in the chain. I don't think you could see data for each cell though like you can with just one sensor.

I think you can but it will probably take a lot of additional "Calculated" sensors when using OpenTx 2.1.x (one per cell in addition to the 3 actual sensors). Each "Calculated" sensor can point to a different real sensor to get the specific cell data.

Webcrowd

I would be happy to see the pack total for the 3 packs if possible on my Transmitter, not all the individual cells. I am just running separate 2S packs for different systems. Ignition / Gear & Lights / Servos

Webcrowd

I should also note I only got my Taranis last week, so I am climbing the steep leaning cure with programming and telemetry options.

I did just buy the air speed sensor, just for fun :p

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Unless you are using high voltage servos, the servo pack should get reported as RxBat I think. Not sure on the range for that but something to play with.

So possibly you you only need two additional voltage sensors. Depending on your RX you can use the analog in ...A1 and A2 and voltage sensors like this

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-battery-voltage-sensor-fbvs-01.html

to get a pack totals...so that might be enough. If you have an X8R then you can use this

https://alofthobbies.com/analog-voltage-sensor-for-frsky-x8r-receivers.html

You can also use the current senors to get a total pack voltage I think...current drain is supposed to be a more accurate way of measuring battery condition...not sure how you set that up though...probably more appropriate for big packs.

You can use one FLVSS of you want individual cells from one pack, say the main battery

You will have to figure out changing IDs to get a second...I poked around and it is not at all clear how you do it.

There is also the slightly cheaper smaller MLVSS but be very careful not to connected it up backwards - it's easy to do - because you will probably destroy it and/or your receiver. I think you need to be careful to have it plugged into your RX and the RX powered before you connect it to the battery balance port but you should research that.

Also unlike the FLVSS it cannot be stacked to measure 12S since it is not optically isolated.

You main need to tie the battery grounds together in your circuit so the system has a common reference...not sure about that.

I Aus, I think BoltRC is the FrSky dealer and should have the parts I referenced.

TrueBuild

Hello!!

I have a question about the FrSky sensors and the their use in the chain.

With the smart port sensors can you have 3 x FrSky SP-FLVS - Smart Port Lipo Voltage Sensor checking the voltage of 3 different packs?

I was not sure if you can run multiple or if you can only have 1 type of each sensor in the chain.

This is the sensor I was thinking of https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sp-flvs-smart-port-lipo-voltage-sensor.html

You can track three lipo packs at the same time.
As stated in the thread you need a servo channel changer to give each FrSky SP-FLVS censor a unique channel (easy with the channel changer)
You need to setup three unique named sensors Cels,Cel2,Cel3.
Then setup Min1, Min2 and Min3 caculated on Cels,Cel2,Cel3 with a result of Min- for each.
You need opentx 2.1.9 or above.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
You can use as many SP-FLVS units as you like, but you MUST assign each one a unique ID using the FrSky Channel Changer. It's SUPER easy to do. You plug in the sensor, scroll to the ID number you want to assign it and confirm. It comes with instructions, and there are a few walkthroughs on Youtube that make it even easier.

I used SIX voltage sensors to track the pack voltages of my six batteries on board the Valkyrie, so I can confirm that it does in fact work. The ID's are numbered from 00-99, so theoretically you could track 100 individual battery packs.