JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Going the module route is tempting. I am curious though how much signal strength is lost or what the comparison is between a module based radio and another using the same spread spectrum technology but naitve to the tranmitter.
As I said, I haven't bought them for myself either and it's been because of price. I'm just offering information. If the T-six was DSMX I would probably have bought it by now.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The difference isn't going to be in signal strength(unless the module is specifically a "parkfly" or LRS) but in latency. The native system can send the signal directly where as for the module, it has to be converted first to PPM and then sent to the module, Converted back to the required protocol and then transmitted. So it adds some latency. Good news is you're still only talking milliseconds and it's usually not even apparent. Even when it is apparent, normally pilots correct for it without even thinking about it.

I also didn't mean to seem like i was bashing the higher dollar stuff. There is a reason it is more expensive since the parts are better quality and fit and finish is as well. Or, for that price it should be. That said, unless you can tell the difference, you shouldn't bother paying the difference. What I mean is if you hold both radios and can't feel a difference between gimbal smoothness, or see a difference in accuracy on the controls, why would you pay 3x the money? I don't have a lot of money to use once the bills are paid so I tend to be cheap...er, thrifty!

Last edited:

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Wow! I never expected so many responses. Thank you do everyone who did give me suggestion. So I guess I should just check to make sure I understood the gist of this. Comparing the Taranis and the DX6, the Taranis blows the DX6 out of the water. But, then MrClean brought the Turnigy 9x into play, saying that it was more of a hacker, DIY radio, but great for the price and useful to buy multiple quantities of them if I am to start flying with a friend or family member. But still, the Taranis is the best radio of the 3. Please correct me if I got something wrong, and thank you for all the responses.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
You will find supporters of each of the radios and I really don't hear much complaints from any owners of these radios. What it really boils down to is what is most important to you. If you have to, make a comparison/score sheet so you know what you can have it all there in front of you.
Something else that may help is Bruce Simpson who does RC Model Reviews. He's a tech type who reviews lots of stuff and might be checking out the new DX-6 soon and comparing it. He's not the kind of guy to hold back on things he doesn't like either.
By the way, Turnigy has the 9x and the 9xR. They are different radios and both accept modules. The prices are much much less than the price range you are looking at.
Happy hunting.
—Jim

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
My only problem with the Taranis was one of availability. I waited for the Radio about 6 months. Now receivers are in short supply.

Thurmond

DDSFlyer

Seems like their contact us page shows Wuxi, China.

I'm actually pondering this now. I have a Dx6i and just had the trainer tab/switch break carrying it and knocked my bat bone, Doh! Well, Spektrum will replace it but I'll have to ship it to them. I don't want to be out a couple of weeks without a transmitter really, but wasn't exactly ready to upgrade either (too many projects to get!)
For the price of the Taranis (~175-200?) I'd probably stay in the Spektrum family (used Dx7s or Dx8) but for a chance to try something new while my Dx6i is getting repaired I may venture into the Turnigy 9XR with the Orange module somthat I wouldn't have to re-outfit all of my planes with new Rx's (mostly Orange Rx's). What are the pluses of the 9XR Rx's vs the Orange Rx's. Also, what would be the total to get me into a 9XR for my Orange Rx fleet?

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The 9XR comes with no module so if you are so inclined, that would be your cheapest option to try out some open software programming! Just get a 9XR and a JR compatible Orange module.