Help! TARANIS QX7 Access

RustySocket

@RustySocket - Yes I have done some whoppers where I thought the RX was toast - but a wipe clean and reinstall of the SD card worked every time!

When I first received my radio I charged the batteries calibrated the sticks and sliders, and then and plugged it into my Simulator as I did not have the Rx with me at that time. Then (once I located the model's button vs the settings button) I created models using the onscreen helpers without a manual. Once I got the Tx home I set up the D16 option in the settings to talk to my FRsky RX's and the FS2a option for my FlySky RX's. I personally have not looked back.

For the ACCESS issue, the simple path is to buy a couple of their ACCESS Rx's and everything will be fine - in the longer term, you will be able to have some workarounds for using NON-ACCESS Rx gear.

Myself, I am good. I am comfortable not getting to the ACCESS receivers and I am in the US so I don't have some of the limitations that are going on overseas from a legal standpoint. I have plenty of gear and no need to go to 900mhz at this stage. I just didn't read the details about exactly what I was flashing when I did it.

Regarding @Aireal Anarchist

I have read and then re-read your post, I have gone to the FrySky page and looked at what is currently there for the QX7-Access which is only the manual. I have looked at the compatibility page for the R9 Slim+OTA Receiver in an attempt to help, and from that it appears that receiver should bind with your transmitter and work stock out of the box. As I re-read your post again, I am still struggling to figure out what is not working for you.

I'm happy to try to work through it with you but I'm not sure what the real problem is. Can you clarify for me and maybe we can get you up and running.

What exactly was the situation that you felt you needed to update the firmware?

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
to those that expressed they cant understand what my confusion was...its very simple... IM NEW.
I have 2 other cheapo transmitters they came with comprehensive manuals and easy to follow, taranis NOT so much, the more you read as a newbie of the software incompatibilities with new and old frsky products the confusion begins to mount and NO manual means alot to me ....the earlier qx7 accst transmitter has a ton of youtube videos to learn the setup and the new accronyms ....

frysky tech support told me the NEWER qx7 access has different hardware, different firmware and some of the setup modes are different and when I searched youtube for the newer ACCESS qx7 there is very little in the how to videos to follow for the ACCESS.....given the changes in setup modes, incompatibility issues & lack of how to videos for the ACCESS I just dont want to possibly buy a transmitter I cant setup because of different modes than the previous QX7 NO MANUAL and little to no videos....I read the almost NON EXISTENT manual, so how do I figure out any possible new accronyms or find the setup procedures with this new hardware and firmware

maybe they are similar enough to stumble thru setup, but given the pile of other chinese parts & pieces I have had to flash just to make them work.....de-solder and remove a transistor to make my video TX work. OSD's that need flashing etc etc etc ..Its my money and Im not buying anymore chinese crap till I see everyone else SUCCESSFULLY using the products ....with the qx7 access version I read too many complaints of major confusion, the more I read the more confused I got, so I chose not to go down that road, exchanging the transmitter right or wrong at least I had a bunch of videos I felt comfortable following for the QX7 ACCST

I returned the QX7 ACCESS and bought a QX7 ACCST and then proceeded with the binding and setup of the NEWER R9M 2019 version & R9 receiver ( no firmware updates required ) and all went well except one setup message that threw me...setting up the R9M module I got a message popup..."REQUIRES LICENSED FCC FIRMWARE....[ EXIT ] " well this seemed to me it was a rejection error message for my setup choice, finally I got pissed and just ignored the message and continued with setup ....that mesage SHOULD be better worded, so it doesnt appear to be a rejection error message............grrrrrrrr that was my only confusion in setup
I flew out 2 miles first flight to check the livestock......I now need to install the flight controller with return to home so I can check the other properties a little farther away and I have my FPV work tool finished........... hootie hoo

Im happy with my decision and Im flying long range NOW thats all that matters , you guys can geek out over firmware etc etc that you choose to but I cant endorse this product to a new person in the hobby, frsky needs to get its sheet together..... if they did they would sell a lot more product, thanks to those trying to help me understand the firmware incompatibilities etc etc ...

FDS

Elite member
Glad you got a solution that works. I run all the older firmware on my Taranis.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
to those that expressed they cant understand what my confusion was...its very simple... IM NEW.
I have 2 other cheapo transmitters they came with comprehensive manuals and easy to follow, taranis NOT so much, the more you read as a newbie of the software incompatibilities with new and old frsky products the confusion begins to mount and NO manual means alot to me ....the earlier qx7 accst transmitter has a ton of youtube videos to learn the setup and the new accronyms ....

frysky tech support told me the NEWER qx7 access has different hardware, different firmware and some of the setup modes are different and when I searched youtube for the newer ACCESS qx7 there is very little in the how to videos to follow for the ACCESS.....given the changes in setup modes, incompatibility issues & lack of how to videos for the ACCESS I just dont want to possibly buy a transmitter I cant setup because of different modes than the previous QX7 NO MANUAL and little to no videos....I read the almost NON EXISTENT manual, so how do I figure out any possible new accronyms or find the setup procedures with this new hardware and firmware

maybe they are similar enough to stumble thru setup, but given the pile of other chinese parts & pieces I have had to flash just to make them work.....de-solder and remove a transistor to make my video TX work. OSD's that need flashing etc etc etc ..Its my money and Im not buying anymore chinese crap till I see everyone else SUCCESSFULLY using the products ....with the qx7 access version I read too many complaints of major confusion, the more I read the more confused I got, so I chose not to go down that road, exchanging the transmitter right or wrong at least I had a bunch of videos I felt comfortable following for the QX7 ACCST

I returned the QX7 ACCESS and bought a QX7 ACCST and then proceeded with the binding and setup of the NEWER R9M 2019 version & R9 receiver ( no firmware updates required ) and all went well except one setup message that threw me...setting up the R9M module I got a message popup..."REQUIRES LICENSED FCC FIRMWARE....[ EXIT ] " well this seemed to me it was a rejection error message for my setup choice, finally I got pissed and just ignored the message and continued with setup ....that mesage SHOULD be better worded, so it doesnt appear to be a rejection error message............grrrrrrrr that was my only confusion in setup
I flew out 2 miles first flight to check the livestock......I now need to install the flight controller with return to home so I can check the other properties a little farther away and I have my FPV work tool finished........... hootie hoo

Im happy with my decision and Im flying long range NOW thats all that matters , you guys can geek out over firmware etc etc that you choose to but I cant endorse this product to a new person in the hobby, frsky needs to get its sheet together..... if they did they would sell a lot more product, thanks to those trying to help me understand the firmware incompatibilities etc etc ...

And now you know some of the reasons why there are people who are reluctant to use a particular brand of transmitter - lack of a manual, poorly written documentation - for example, Chinese Programmer to Chinese, then Chinese to English by a person who has English as a Second language and doesn't have a great grasp of the English language, receiver incompatibilities, missing functionality that another brand/model has...

I'm not going to bash on FrSky, because these things occur with ALL of the brands - Spektrum's got its issues, Graupner has its quirks, and Futaba has its pros and cons. But you pick the one you pick, and you kinda go with it...

FDS

Elite member
Frsky’s biggest problem is that it has deliberately changed its core firmware to stop third parties using it on RTF receiver boards and quads. The way it has implemented these changes has lead to confusion and incompatibility between it’s own products! They have always had some problems with R9, but before ACESS their receivers were very easy to set up.
The actual set up and programming of models on their radios is still as easy and powerful as ever, since that is through OpenTX just like it’s always been, which has lots of good info and tutorials.

Cmedina10

R9M is a module, so it’s not the firmware that’s on the internal transmitter module runs R9M. I run my R9M on Flex firmware and my transmitters on Access 1.0 not the new 2.0.
Is your transmitter new? Check to see what firmware is on it using OpenTX Companion. Access is just the older firmware, it works completely fine with older D16 and D8 receivers, there is absolutely no reason to change it. Just make sure the firmware in the radio matches what is on the receivers. DO NOT put access 2.0 on it, it locks out older D8 and non FRsky D16 receivers.
The version of OpenTX on your radio is separate to the firmware, it’s the operating system. You could update that if you want but it’s not necessary to use the radio. My Jumper T12 has 2.2.2 on it, which is several versions outdated and is fine, that’s almost identical to the QX7.
HI i cant find a thread on my topic so I'm just gon a ask here. You guys seem to know your stuff here. I am new to fpv and just got a tinyhawk 2 and a taranis X7 access well it's there a way to get it to work like a firmware update bc on the taranis there is no d8 option in the menu. Only d16 and access.