Taranis QX7 right stick won't center

jaredstrees

So I recently flashed the newest firmware (2.2.3) onto my QX7 and now I'm having a problem. The right stick/pot won't always return to center after moving in any direction. I have calibrated the stick multiple time but still the problem exists. Has anyone else had this issue? It is causing small servo movements during flight which make flying a little more challenging. Should I just do a reset? Obviously I have backed up my models, so none of that will be lost. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

jaredstrees

Ok, hoping someone had an idea for this problem. Man, I have loved this qx7 TX, but right now I'm wishing I had gotten something else. If I didn't have so many frsky recievers I'd sell it right now and move to spectrum.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
If the problem started when you upgraded the firmware, consider rolling back to 2.2.2, unless there are features that you really need. I haven't even looked at the release notes since 2.2.1 as it does everything I need flawlessly.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you just flashed the firmware did you do a fresh stick calibration afterwards?

If that does not cure the drifting I would pop the case open and make sure all the plugs are fully seated for the gimballs.

For some reason those dont have that (or as good) locking action the other connectors have.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Almost certainly nothing to do with the upgrade.

Writing a new .otx from Companion can wipe out the calibration though. It is best to read the models and settings from the TX, make the changes to that file and write it back. If you need a model from a different file, copy and paste it into the file you read from the TX.

Calibration will fix the stick throws but it won't fix centering issues. Could be the plugs as suggested. You can also try tightening the spring tension screws a little. Also make sure that the stick wires are not catching and can flex freely when you move the stick.

WARNING: ...disconnect the battery before opening the case to avoid accidental shorts. Make sure to ground yourself to prevent staic discharge. There are very static sensitive parts inside and you can damage your radio. This is not a drill

jaredstrees

If the problem started when you upgraded the firmware, consider rolling back to 2.2.2, unless there are features that you really need. I haven't even looked at the release notes since 2.2.1 as it does everything I need flawlessly.

This is the direction I was planning to take. I flashed it so I could use the irange plus multiprotocol module I just got.
I did do a calibration after the flash. I will open her up and check the plugs and spring tension before I revert back to an older firmware.

Thanks guys, didn't think of it as a possible mechanical issue.