TARANIS Sound supplement StarWars

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
This March 26th was my 35th birthday so for that I got an FrSky TARANIS radio. I have only had it for a few days and I must say it is easily worth every penny.

For the quick review, umm it’s awesome! It comes in its own beautiful case, so no worries about damage. But it did come to me here in Washington State well packaged in under two weeks from the main Hobby King warehouse. I already dove straight in to the programming and found there are no limits on the programming. It’s truly is open sourced. You can change anything if so choose to. Opening it up, it is impressive. It is clean inside, no ugly soldering. You can move things around. So if you end up with a mode 1 radio and you cannot revert from years of muscle memory you can switch the sticks to mode 2 if you wish. On some of the earlier models, owners complain of the two side knobs had a weak center detent so you could barely feel when it centers. They have fixed that. It’s is now has a strong detent. So, so far I have been very pleased with it.

Now on you my contribution. I am a proud geek/nerd and a Star Wars fan so I have a new sound supplement for the radio. I will not say who he is, but he will introduce himself. Then show you how it is done.

You go to Acapela Text To Speech Demohttp://www.lessonpaths.com/learn/i/educational-tools-2/acapela-text-to-speech-demo. Then there is a small blue/grey box you for Language you choose English (USA), Voice you choose (WillLittleCreature). Then you can start typing away. After you finished, click on Listen.
acapelaWindow.png
Now it gets technical.
Right click next to the left of the little play button. Depending on what browser you use, choose View Frame Source. Yes, it must be FRAME SOURCE.
acapelaBlock.png
Around line 16 to 30 there will be a website MP3 link. Copy and paste on to a new tap on your browser.
frameshot.png
Here it will play your sound again to you. Then go to your web browser File tab and Save This Page As. Then save to your desktop.
sightShot.png
Smile, you are have way done.
Open Audacity.
Very Important, bottom left change Project Rate to 32000Hz
HZwarning.png
Otherwise your radio will not recognize the WAV file.
Then in there click file open and open your mp3 file. Here you can change it you your heart’s content. In this case it’s simple. In most cases all I used was Effect, Change Tempo to 15%.
Then after you are satisfied with your new mix, you highlight the section you want. Go to File, Export Selection and save.
Now, to get it in to your Taranis. Turn on your radio, connect the radio though the USB port to your computer and wait a minute for it to load drivers. You should be able to find the new drive in you computer.
Open the SD card drive. You should see a folder for sounds. In the sounds folder there is a folder “en”, this is where all of your sounds are stored. Move you new sounds you have created in to this file. For those that are new to computers remember, don’t just pull the cable out when you are done, you eject “safely remove” the drive before disconnecting the cable. You Taranis will reboot and now you can test your sounds.
You can contact me if you want my files. I have changed every sound over.

Or Here is a Dropbox link Yoda Wav

Last edited:
Awesome! Sounds like yoda it does.

when it came time to upgrade I was looking at that slick new Dx6 but this Taranis looks like much sweeter of a deal.

-Jes

Mirabile Visu

Not too interested in Yoda I am....

However, the explanation on how to change the voices is brilliant, and I'm very grateful to you.

Very many thanks,

Trevor

Freaky_1

old headcase
Personally, I could think of no better voice! Well, I wouldn't mind having Chewbacca on mine just to get strange looks :)

hi_impact

That's a ton of work that you put into those voices! Thanks for you contribution. I just bought a taranis and have seen this voice generator and the one that sounds like Yoda... of course. Each one of these has to be saved in a specific way that you have done on the dropbox. I'm guessing the file names that you have drop box match the file names they will be replacing on taranis?

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
That's a ton of work that you put into those voices! Thanks for you contribution. I just bought a taranis and have seen this voice generator and the one that sounds like Yoda... of course. Each one of these has to be saved in a specific way that you have done on the dropbox. I'm guessing the file names that you have drop box match the file names they will be replacing on taranis?

That is correct. Just save a backup before you do anything. Then download the sounds and replace the sound folder with my sound folder and reboot. Boom, Instant Jedi Master in you radio. The tutorial is for when you want to make your own personal sounds and you remind me just how I did it in the first place. I'd have to follow my own instructions again.

I was thinking of re-releasing this in an article with the new Star Wars movies coming out instead of hidden in the forums. Think people would enjoy Yoda for a little while in their radio.

Ludodg

Lol. Thx Kurt.
Not only are the Yoda-sounds great, you also showed how one can make some commands himself.

I am planning to use one f the pot-switches for pid-tuning but as it has no haptic feedback, a sound-feedback about the position would be very handy. You helped me there.
Yet, still loooooots te learn about the Taranis and programming it as I am not a programmer.

iriki

Amazing sounds, many thanks for the Dropbox link.

However the "Acapela Text To Speech Demo" is not working anymore because they introduced music in the background, like a watermark.