Help! Taranis Spektrum-module

Ludodg

As in title, ....
I have an Orange-module for my Taranis X9D so that I can or should be able to use my spektrum-based receivers ...
but this Orange-module does not work. It is a known problem: the button on the module, needed to be used to switch from DSM to DSM2 .. DSMx-mode .. does nothing.

Can someone point me out to the/a correct module for my X9D, so that I can link to spektrum-receivers?
Thx

jtrops

I have one of these OrangeRX modules as well, and even when it binds it is flakey. I have read that it can be flashed with the "Multi Protocol" firmware, and that it fixes all of the problems with the module. I ended up just getting a 4 in 1 multi module so that my radio will bind with just about everything.

Here's a link to the thread on OpenRC forums: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8753

Flight_RN_Bryan

I have one of these OrangeRX modules as well, and even when it binds it is flakey. I have read that it can be flashed with the "Multi Protocol" firmware, and that it fixes all of the problems with the module. I ended up just getting a 4 in 1 multi module so that my radio will bind with just about everything.

Here's a link to the thread on OpenRC forums: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8753
Does the 4in1 work well with the horizon hobby BNF models?

w1lp33

If its anything like the 4in1 module I have, when you set your radio to external tx or change any of the settings, try backing out of the model and then going back in.... Like select a different model, then go back to the one you were just in.

For some reason my module will not bind or work until I've done that. Almost threw it in the garbage until I figured that out. Not sure if anyone else's modules work like that or if mine is messed up, but it's worth trying...

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
best bet is to build a spectrum hack module if you want to fly BNF spectrum planes. They are pretty simple to build. I've done a few. It uses a true spectrum DSMX module from a Dx4, Dx5, or Dx6 transmitter. I switched to this from a orange rx module once I started buying the expensive BNF planes. So far I've had no issues. It also allows you to bind from the radio in the menus just like a frsky receiver and also numbers the models so you can't accidently use the wrong model on the radio with the wrong plane.

Chappie66

If its anything like the 4in1 module I have, when you set your radio to external tx or change any of the settings, try backing out of the model and then going back in.... Like select a different model, then go back to the one you were just in.

For some reason my module will not bind or work until I've done that. Almost threw it in the garbage until I figured that out. Not sure if anyone else's modules work like that or if mine is messed up, but it's worth trying...
I am also using the 4-in-1 module (iRangeX IRX4 Plus 2.4G CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 CYRF6936 4 IN 1 Multiprotocol STM32 TX Module With Case) but do not have, or should say have not had this issue. I did however flash it (https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/blob/master/docs/Compiling_STM32.md). I may just build a spectrum DIY module....just because :)

Last edited:

w1lp33

I am also using the 4-in-1 module (iRangeX IRX4 Plus 2.4G CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 CYRF6936 4 IN 1 Multiprotocol STM32 TX Module With Case) but do not have, or should say have not had this issue. I did however flash it (https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/blob/master/docs/Compiling_STM32.md). I may just build a spectrum DIY module....just because :)
I've flashed mine as well. Not sure what the issue is, but it's a minor thing so I just live with it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used the Banggood 4 in 1 without any issues. I mostly use the Flysky Rx.

jross

Struggling with this orangerx module also. Got it bound to a UMX Radian. Have rudder and elevator but no throttle. Motor twitches occasionally and a few times, when I powered down my transmitter with the plane powered, the motor came on full power for a couple of seconds. Was really hoping this was a solution for me but it looks like I'll need to buy a cheap Spektrum transmitter or one of the 4 in 1 modules mentioned above. Frustrating for sure. Wishing I'd done more research before buying this module.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
UMX models generally work with the orange module if you force DSM2 22ms mode. Some orange modules only had an auto select. Hopefully you have one that allows you to set the protocol mode.

jross

UMX models generally work with the orange module if you force DSM2 22ms mode. Some orange modules only had an auto select. Hopefully you have one that allows you to set the protocol mode.
Pretty sure you can force DSM2 with DIP switches and set 22 ms on the model. I believe default is 22.5 ms. I'll give that a whirl. Thanks!.

CiggyTardust

Helpful thread! I'm trying to get into fixed wing planes and ordered a Taranis X9D but was sad to find out it doesn't work well with the Horizon's UMX BNF planes. I want to start with the UMX Radian but it looks like that may not be so simple. I've thought about getting a cheaper Spektrum transmitter but would like to avoid that clutter if at all possible since I just plunked down cash for the Taranis.

So based on this thread, it sounds like the OrangeRX module WILL work with the UMX Radian if put into DSM2 mode? Does this apply to the newer OrangeRX modules or just the older ones? Or should I just go with one of the iRange 4-in-1 modules? I'd like someone to hopefully chime in who has successfully gotten one of the UMX planes working with their Taranis before I actually order the UMX Radian. I've scoured the web and haven't found anyone else who's done this successfully with newer OrangeRX modules.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Helpful thread! I'm trying to get into fixed wing planes and ordered a Taranis X9D but was sad to find out it doesn't work well with the Horizon's UMX BNF planes. I want to start with the UMX Radian but it looks like that may not be so simple. I've thought about getting a cheaper Spektrum transmitter but would like to avoid that clutter if at all possible since I just plunked down cash for the Taranis.

So based on this thread, it sounds like the OrangeRX module WILL work with the UMX Radian if put into DSM2 mode? Does this apply to the newer OrangeRX modules or just the older ones? Or should I just go with one of the iRange 4-in-1 modules? I'd like someone to hopefully chime in who has successfully gotten one of the UMX planes working with their Taranis before I actually order the UMX Radian. I've scoured the web and haven't found anyone else who's done this successfully with newer OrangeRX modules.

Here is a new one coming out, don't know much about it but it looks like it will work with almost all protocols.

https://www.jumper.xyz/t16

jross

I have an orange DSMX/DSM2 module. Can't remember which mode you have to choose but you have to choose one or the other by changing one dip switch. After that it worked but is a bit flaky for binding. I have to rebind planes regularly. I'd go with the 4 in 1 were I to purchase another module for my Taranis.