Taranis

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm glad to see they dropped their prices to be competitive. Last time I checked Bangood, the Taranis was $240. I got mine from Hobby King. With shipping to Montana, it cost $204.
Still not as good as getting it from Aloft, but ya gotta buy 'em from who got 'em. ;)

flyingscot

Banggood keep putting back their restocking date! Be better if they said ready by Christmas! Looking forward to audible telemetry. Yes mine is on order from Banggood too.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Aloft are "GOOD GUYS" with "Great Prices" (more so on FrSky products) so those who have done business with them usually recommend them highly. I do! ;) Local to USA too!

Thurmond

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Thurmond,
Do they offer a better deal than HK? At a glance, the prices appear to be pretty comparable and being in the US is definitely a plus.

Last edited:

Tritium

About the same deal but the one I am on the waiting list for has a receiver that the HK model did not offer it looked like. By the time you pay for a receiver and shipping from HK the cost from Aloft may well be lower. The major disadvantage is Aloft has a lengthy waiting list and has no stock since the initial release sold out in hours.

Thurmond

robschonk

About the same deal but the one I am on the waiting list for has a receiver that the HK model did not offer it looked like. By the time you pay for a receiver and shipping from HK the cost from Aloft may well be lower. The major disadvantage is Aloft has a lengthy waiting list and has no stock since the initial release sold out in hours.

Thurmond

Well, what you need is a Buddy Code from HK! They will back order it and ship it when it arrives.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...uddycode=97957B3D-A2CB-4A41-BF04-0988727409EE

It doesn't have a charge adapter, buy you probably have a dozen 12v 0.5a wall warts lying around.

Also, the 8XR may not be the best receiver to get now, especially if you have a lot of older Frsky telemetry sensors now. The only sensor they sell that uses the smart port is the new variometer, but they should be bringing out other sensors shortly. I've got a Taranis I got from HK, and use my D8R-XPs with it, and don't intend to buy the new receiver until it's fully implemented.

earthsciteach

Aloft are "GOOD GUYS" with "Great Prices" (more so on FrSky products) so those who have done business with them usually recommend them highly. I do! ;) Local to USA too!

Thurmond

100% agree with you on Aloft, Thurmond. Fast service, quick response to questions, fast shipping, competitive prices. Good vendor!

MrClean

Aloft all the way, when they have it. Get on their waiting list. 200 for the transmitter and an x8r 16 channel receiver.

Some day they'll catch up on the production, then the next radio will be out and it will be even more Awesome!

RoyBro

Mentor
I was planning to buy a Taranis from Aloft, but stumbled upon a Facebook message from Hobby King saying that the Taranis just arrived. This took me by surprise because in a forum discussion, we concluded that Hobby King would probably not carry the Taranis as it would be a direct competitor with the Turnigy radios.
I was so excited to have found anyone who had them in stock, that I ordered one on the spot. Yes, I paid about $35 in shipping to Montana, but it arrived in about two and a half weeks.

I have since ordered some receivers from Aloft.

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
RoyBro,

What's the advantage of getting it from Aloft?

This has been answered and echoed. The customer service, and for those of us in the US, the lower shipping costs. Aloft 's price for the Taranis and other FrSky products are competitive with those of Hobby King. Compared with other local hobby shops, that's extraordinary.

robschonk

I was planning to buy a Taranis from Aloft, but stumbled upon a Facebook message from Hobby King saying that the Taranis just arrived. This took me by surprise because in a forum discussion, we concluded that Hobby King would probably not carry the Taranis as it would be a direct competitor with the Turnigy radios.
I was so excited to have found anyone who had them in stock, that I ordered one on the spot. Yes, I paid about $35 in shipping to Montana, but it arrived in about two and a half weeks.

I have since ordered some receivers from Aloft.

Same with me. I've been a loyal customer of Wayne's, but when they popped up on the HK site, I had to pull the trigger. Got a Mode 1, but it took about 5 minutes to convert it.

I was on the original waiting list, but slept in the morning he first received them and missed out. Still on the second waiting list. WTH, I might buy a second one!

It's already paid for itself in entertainment value just playing with it.

A beginner can just use a pre defined template, or you can go for a full house glider.

My custom splash screen:

image.jpg

Last edited:

robschonk

I love them both. I haven't come up with anything yet.

Rob, when I saw yours, I about blew my coffee across the room. When I showed it to my wife all she said was "That's just wrong." But I could tell she likes it.

Here's a good site for more model artwork and splash screens.

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3530

The splash screens are easy to edit. Just open them in MS Paint, remove what you don't want, then insert the new text. That's what I did with Scott Page's screen.

Tritium

I received my "Invitation" from Aloft Yesterday and ordered my Taranis package. $222 delivered. Also made a deal for the coolest Carbon fiber acrobatic Tri-Copter I have ever seen. It is BEAUTIFUL :cool:! With any luck I will be celebrating 55 years on this planet with both new "toys". :applause:

Thurmond

eagle4

damn, congrats mate. i am still waiting on banggood to get stock, every few days they keep pushing back the expected date that they will get new stock.

lonewolf7717

Wish I could post a pic of my splash but neglected to save original in paint prior to hex conversion.....lets just say its mightymouse in flight
I love them both. I haven't come up with anything yet.

Rob, when I saw yours, I about blew my coffee across the room. When I showed it to my wife all she said was "That's just wrong." But I could tell she likes it.