Teaching My Children To Fly - The Diary

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think one way is to pick up the speed of the plane (without putting a motor into it) but would it be in the budget to build a catapult?

kilroy07

Legendary member
Maybe try by asking them to come a take the video for you so you can concentrate on flying?...
Some times if you make them feel like you need their help they are a bit more willing to.

Maybe it’s the duration of the flights.
Try a powered glider (just build bigger wings on the tt, or the new one...) and get it up to altitude then chop the throttle and let them glide down. I’d definitely have a spare powerpod in hand just in case they nose in. 😉

It’s no easy feat being a parent, and there are no user manuals... (well, there are, but they are written for other children.) 😉 I’ve raised my two sons and step children and I can say from the outside looking in, you are doing an amazing job! 👍👍

Neither of my boys showed any interest in my hobbies when they were young, but I get my oldest out flying my trainer every now and then, so, don’t loose hope... they’ll come around.

mayan

Legendary member
Perhaps you need to sweeten the offer! The way I used to keep the kids interest up in the boating I used to do was to include the trip to the local MacDonalds or an Ice-Cream parlour after the boating was completed! After doing that I NEVER had a refusal!

Have fun!
Thought of that but my kids are kings of bribe so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Looks like you're doing great! Don't get discouraged with them not wanting to go all the time. Little kids like novelty. They're programmed to seek new experiences. I keep mine hooked by bringing out a new dollar store glider, launcher,or some flying toy of some kind. They throw it around for a while, get the fidgets out, then I bring out the 2 channel chuck glider and make them see if they can beat their distance with it vs their new toy, or some challenge like that.

As far as launching, I used a high start line for a while (50' of string with 25' rubber band steaked to the ground) but I found they liked me throwing it better (ive since learned I can throw nearly as high as the little high start line could now that my kids can kind of guide it with the elevator while I throw) that Hawkeye twin engine I have in the one video started its rc life as one of my kids first 2 channel chuck gliders!

I hope to have the kids into 3 channel here pretty soon now that the winter is finally breaking. (Last snow just melted off this week) It shouldn't be too much of a step as they have been flying fpv drones in the house this winter with me. I plan to use my Dx8 and my DxE to buddy box with them...

Good luck and happy flying!
I tend to do challenges as well. The other day when we all went the challenge was to get closest to the poll, kinda like the glider golf episode FT made :).

I think one way is to pick up the speed of the plane (without putting a motor into it) but would it be in the budget to build a catapult?
It’s on my to do list already :).

Maybe try by asking them to come a take the video for you so you can concentrate on flying?...
Some times if you make them feel like you need their help they are a bit more willing to.

Maybe it’s the duration of the flights.
Try a powered glider (just build bigger wings on the tt, or the new one...) and get it up to altitude then chop the throttle and let them glide down. I’d definitely have a spare powerpod in hand just in case they nose in. 😉

It’s no easy feat being a parent, and there are no user manuals... (well, there are, but they are written for other children.) 😉 I’ve raised my two sons and step children and I can say from the outside looking in, you are doing an amazing job! 👍👍

Neither of my boys showed any interest in my hobbies when they were young, but I get my oldest out flying my trainer every now and then, so, don’t loose hope... they’ll come around.
That leads to this...

Yesterday I took my son to the field right after a treatment that he has. We took the kids TT, my TT and the Simple Soarer with us and spend about two hours at the field. I didn’t get to do much flying but my son practiced plenty. Most was not caught on video because I forgot to take the Go Pro head strap and had nothing to improvise with.

Here are some moments that have been captured.

After we totally wrecked the glider nose, we pulled out the Simple Soarer.

F145328B-8E3A-462F-82BD-D0B196D7935E.jpeg

4DF9A169-C6A5-4915-B2B9-0F54AFE19FAB.jpeg

Since it was the very first maiden I took it up and tried to trim it hoping I could get high enough to chop of the throttle and let my son glide it down. However that didn’t work out to well, it was too windy. I found myself at times where the plane would just hand there at full throttle. Coming to think of it just now, I have not calibrated the ESC which could explain the problem I had in getting up high :rolleyes:, stupid me.

All in all we had a good time, I did for sure. BTW I think I found a way to get my son dedicated I told him that one of the things I want to do with him is combat. After all at this age they are all about breaking stuff :).

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
For when you think your son many need a confidence boost or might be feeling discouraged:

Two second Mini Scout flight - skip to about 1:13
Three second Mini Scout flight - skip to about 1:25
Four second TT flight - skip to about 0:35
Losing a wheel on take off
Crash compilation from different angles all on the same afternoon. Three wonderful minutes of "Doh!"

And finally to where I am now. Start at about 2:40. You might want to skip around the rest of the video. For a young mind, it's some pretty boring flying except where I'm playing with/fighting the wind. This is however one of my very few landings that I've got on video.

mayan

Legendary member
For when you think your son many need a confidence boost or might be feeling discouraged:

Two second Mini Scout flight - skip to about 1:13
Three second Mini Scout flight - skip to about 1:25
Four second TT flight - skip to about 0:35
Losing a wheel on take off
Crash compilation from different angles all on the same afternoon. Three wonderful minutes of "Doh!"

And finally to where I am now. Start at about 2:40. You might want to skip around the rest of the video. For a young mind, it's some pretty boring flying except where I'm playing with/fighting the wind. This is however one of my very few landings that I've got on video.
LOL! Thanks, it's good to have a list of crashs to show them from time to time :). Though I must mention that he has seen me crash a dozen times before, and still sees me crash today :).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
When I was trying to lure my friends kids into rc i used the guise of going to the park.

Id bring my rc trucks and leave them in the car til the kids were having fun on the playset. Never said a word.

Soon as the truck was out and rolling it was like turnin on a magnet....

Whats that? Whatcha doin? Can I try.

I told them nah I dont think your old enough yet. As soon as I said that the hook was set. Now when I see them they tell me what they do with their own gear.

mayan

Legendary member
Haven’t updated here in a while cause there wasn’t much to update :(. For a while after the last time I went with my son the kids TT was just sitting there waiting for repairs. It wasn’t repaired because I didn’t feel like the kids really wanted to learned to fly. Until a few days ago when I sat down to figure out a ESC issue I had, that I decided to repair their TT and also hook them up with a power pod setup too.

The other day when they were on vacation from school due to a holiday we had and I wanted to take them out to the field and try getting them interested again. That didn’t work they didn’t want to go, I became super bummed out having stayed up til 4:30am to have everything ready for them at 8:30am that day. It was at that point that I told them that I much rather have them say that they don’t want to learn to fly RC planes than say nothing. My daughter said she doesn’t want to learn but my son said that he does.

So two days ago I took him to the field, and after a few practice glides on a hand toss 2 channel TT, I hooked him up with the powered setup. Flying it up to altitude for him shutting off the motor and letting him glide it down. This is the results, until the firewall broke loose from the power pod.

My daughter tagged along which was a mistake because she didn’t stop whining for a moment, so reminder to myself for next time don’t take her. I think that will create a more stress free environment for me and him to have fun.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Haven’t updated here in a while cause there wasn’t much to update :(. For a while after the last time I went with my son the kids TT was just sitting there waiting for repairs. It wasn’t repaired because I didn’t feel like the kids really wanted to learned to fly. Until a few days ago when I sat down to figure out a ESC issue I had, that I decided to repair their TT and also hook them up with a power pod setup too.

The other day when they were on vacation from school due to a holiday we had and I wanted to take them out to the field and try getting them interested again. That didn’t work they didn’t want to go, I became super bummed out having stayed up til 4:30am to have everything ready for them at 8:30am that day. It was at that point that I told them that I much rather have them say that they don’t want to learn to fly RC planes than say nothing. My daughter said she doesn’t want to learn but my son said that he does.

So two days ago I took him to the field, and after a few practice glides on a hand toss 2 channel TT, I hooked him up with the powered setup. Flying it up to altitude for him shutting off the motor and letting him glide it down. This is the results, until the firewall broke loose from the power pod.

My daughter tagged along which was a mistake because she didn’t stop whining for a moment, so reminder to myself for next time don’t take her. I think that will create a more stress free environment for me and him to have fun.
He did good! You're right that you can't help if your daughter isn't interested. You offered the opportunity and it's not for her. Fair enough. You'll just have to find something she's interested in that you can share with her.

Meantime, you and your son can have a blast. I think you'll find the general consensus here is that you are very fortunate even one of your children is interested. Believe me, I don't take that for granted. I recognize that blessing and make the most of it for my son and I whenever we can. :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
I think you'll find the general consensus here is that you are very fortunate even one of your children is interested. Believe me, I don't take that for granted. I recognize that blessing and make the most of it for my son and I whenever we can. :)
Amen brother!

I’ve got to give props (pun intended) to my wife. Last time we went to the field she packed a picnic lunch for everyone, it was a nice day and I got some nice inverted practice in with the tt. (I think there is some video somewhere...)
I didn’t let the oldest fly because there were several other fliers that day, and she nearly crashed into someone last time.... 😳 (I’ve got a second controller... I need to figure out the buddy box setup!)...

At the end we stopped by Wendy’s (a burger joint) and everyone got a “frosty” which is sort of a chocolate milkshake.... good time for all.

So, maybe take your son out for a special treat afterwords, just to sweeten the deal.
😉. I’m not sure if the oldest is “really” into RC or if it’s just spending some father/daughter time together.
Either way, I’ll take it.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I agree that it's great your kids are taking an interest. :D Consider yourself blessed. Even if it may be temporary, it's still an important thing to share and have that experience with.

The only close person I know of who is remotely interested in RC planes is my father-in-law...and he's not really interested in the RC part of it. He's an army vet so he likes history, warbirds, etc. So we can sit and talk planes. My wife attempted to fly my Hobbyzone Champ one time and I guess I overestimated its simplicity and how easy it was to fly. I hand launched it for her, she gave it almost full throttle, it went out, almost straight up, turned back around and smacked right into the bleachers we were sitting at. It tore the wing in half and I had only had the plane 2 days. She felt awful for that and has kinda sworn that she's just not much into planes. She's shown more interest in stable photography drones (DJI) for her youtube videos/channel. And since the birth of our daughter, I bet her drone has maybe been in the air once in the past couple years. Nobody else in my family has interest in RC planes.

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks all for the support. I did actaully think to start taking him out afterwards for something sweet or take something sweet with me to the field I am sure it will make it more interesting for him.

I think the next step to keep your son really interested is to let him fly it under power, none windy day and half throttle.
I thought of that too, just want to make sure he'll be able to glide it down properly first, but still this is something that I will probably start doing soon.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've started to work with my youngest son a little now, He's definitely got the interest (he loves tinkering, gluing, very into "his" projects lol) but he still needs some stick time. I've had him on the simulator some and he's not bad, especially from FPV perspective, but this is his first attempt at real world flying. The Lidl glider I built is a bit too much plane for an absolute beginner and I defiantly needed some more tuning on the rates for him to even have a chance at flying, but all in all he managed a few good turns. Not bad for a first time! I'll have him start with the 2 channel TT glider (probably do a high start setup for a while like I did with my other son) for a while, I think he'll enjoy that more...

Anyway, I thought you'd get a kick out of this... but my "treat" to keep him interested (helps that he loves chuck gliders) is to have a few rounds of "Glider Combat" with him and his little gliders. The only problem is he's getting better at throwing them accurately! :ROFLMAO: Fortunately these little glider conversions are quite tough, I've already had some pretty good crashes (of course, never on video) with the Lidl BlackBird and I've yet to even break a prop...

Don't mind the music, was playing with the editor! lol