Teaching My Children To Fly - The Diary

mayan

Legendary member
@Hondo76251 thank you so much for the ideas and great movie. Before lunch you were buddy boxing with him right? BTW were do you live if I may ask?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've started to work with my youngest son a little now, He's definitely got the interest (he loves tinkering, gluing, very into "his" projects lol) but he still needs some stick time. I've had him on the simulator some and he's not bad, especially from FPV perspective, but this is his first attempt at real world flying. The Lidl glider I built is a bit too much plane for an absolute beginner and I defiantly needed some more tuning on the rates for him to even have a chance at flying, but all in all he managed a few good turns. Not bad for a first time! I'll have him start with the 2 channel TT glider (probably do a high start setup for a while like I did with my other son) for a while, I think he'll enjoy that more...

Anyway, I thought you'd get a kick out of this... but my "treat" to keep him interested (helps that he loves chuck gliders) is to have a few rounds of "Glider Combat" with him and his little gliders. The only problem is he's getting better at throwing them accurately! :ROFLMAO: Fortunately these little glider conversions are quite tough, I've already had some pretty good crashes (of course, never on video) with the Lidl BlackBird and I've yet to even break a prop...

Don't mind the music, was playing with the editor! lol
Ha Ha! That was good! Your take on glider combat with your son is a riot! That looked like a ton of fun for the both of you. What a great idea. You're right - his aim is getting pretty good!

Hondo76251

Legendary member

Hahaha... Yeah its a blast!

Also the reason I use so many 1104-1106 motors with little props. Much lower risk than the 10" props with all the kiddos around! Ive been bit by a few of the little ones, at worst its like a little cat scratch... I take a little more care with the larger stuff so I havent had the pleasure of seeing what they'd do but I had a dog that did! Dummy decided he'd take a run at my phantom while it was taking off. It had carbon fiber props... The dog lost... It was like cat scratches too I suppose... If the cat was a bobcat :ROFLMAO:

mayan

Legendary member
After a while that I haven’t been able to go flying with the kids it happened. Yesterday I had 2 hours free so me and the kids went to the field. Went flying drones and the TT, check it out.

This is the damage, that is still waiting repairs. I would have fixed it on my night shift last night but I was too busy finishing my KFM Wing which you can read more about here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-second-part-of-my-journey-the-diary.58013/page-26.

8A617B94-B139-4C14-B63B-F6E4704A2FA7.jpeg

2DF21120-042A-417F-A16E-983729F71A93.jpeg

8B9AA78C-B5AD-4A9C-88A4-DB440383C89B.jpeg

488A3D1E-EF3D-4AC0-A000-1493E10ED612.jpeg

I should really get back to this project :).

Jimun

Elite member
After a while that I haven’t been able to go flying with the kids it happened. Yesterday I had 2 hours free so me and the kids went to the field. Went flying drones and the TT, check it out.

This is the damage, that is still waiting repairs. I would have fixed it on my night shift last night but I was too busy finishing my KFM Wing which you can read more about here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-second-part-of-my-journey-the-diary.58013/page-26.

View attachment 138187
View attachment 138188
View attachment 138189
View attachment 138190

I should really get back to this project :).
Pretty soon He will be flying as good as you. :D Good job kids.

mayan

Legendary member
Sometimes you just got to take a break sometime learn to release. I figured my daughter wasn't interested in the hobby but feel it's mainly because she doesn't want to disappoint me :(. My son on the other hand see's doesn't feel like I am disappointed when he crashes, I kept telling them both that it's OK to crash and that's how we learn. My daughter just doesn't seem to grasp that, I guess. Over the last couple of times I helped my son fly the SpiTTT and let him try some solo with the TT, glider wings. I feel like he just needs to be buddy boxed honestly, but since I don't have another Tx atm, I just put my fingers under his on the sides of the sticks and easy out his movements. On our last outing I let him fly the Simple Soarer up high and down low he did and amazing job. I tried to explain the counter action required on every move you make, so for example if you made a left turn you should counteract to the right to stop the plane from doing a circle. I also decided to stop holding myself back from letting him try fly different aircrafts even if they seem to require more flying skill, so long as they are not too hard to rebuild, like the KFM Wing which he wanted to fly so bad and I couldn't let go. So next time he comes with me to the field I'll let him fly the KFM Wing :). Here are some pictures of the outing of us flying together, if I find videos of it too I'll post them later.

IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

Arcfyre

Elite member
Sometimes you just got to take a break sometime learn to release. I figured my daughter wasn't interested in the hobby but feel it's mainly because she doesn't want to disappoint me :(. My son on the other hand see's doesn't feel like I am disappointed when he crashes, I kept telling them both that it's OK to crash and that's how we learn. My daughter just doesn't seem to grasp that, I guess. Over the last couple of times I helped my son fly the SpiTTT and let him try some solo with the TT, glider wings. I feel like he just needs to be buddy boxed honestly, but since I don't have another Tx atm, I just put my fingers under his on the sides of the sticks and easy out his movements. On our last outing I let him fly the Simple Soarer up high and down low he did and amazing job. I tried to explain the counter action required on every move you make, so for example if you made a left turn you should counteract to the right to stop the plane from doing a circle. I also decided to stop holding myself back from letting him try fly different aircrafts even if they seem to require more flying skill, so long as they are not too hard to rebuild, like the KFM Wing which he wanted to fly so bad and I couldn't let go. So next time he comes with me to the field I'll let him fly the KFM Wing :). Here are some pictures of the outing of us flying together, if I find videos of it too I'll post them later.

View attachment 142030
View attachment 142031
View attachment 142032
View attachment 142033
View attachment 142034
View attachment 142035

Beautiful pictures, my friend. That's what it's all about.

Jimun

Elite member

View attachment 142030
View attachment 142031
View attachment 142032
View attachment 142033
View attachment 142034
View attachment 142035
Awesome Mayan. It is good to see you learn more as you teach more. Good job

mayan

Legendary member
You hear Josh say it time and again “it’s all about making memories”...
You let me know when he’s ready for that A-10! 😂
I’ll let me son tell you in English when he is ready to fly it :) and English is a language he still doesn’t know.

I wanted to take him out to fly my KFM Wing today but broke it in the morning when I hit the field for some quite time alone. I repaired it and wanted to take it and go fly with him in the afternoon but I don’t have any more 8x6 props on stock and when the stores open up again it’ll be to late to hit the store and still go to the field :(. I repaired the Simple Soarer so we can take that and check the Tiny Trainer too, it’s crooked and possibly also heavy because of all the re-enforcing it got but I’d toss it up any how :).

L Edge

Master member
Watching the videos and having been in a father/son situation at age 6, I have an experiment for you to try..

Simply put, the concept hasn't sunk in. You need to break each step down into components.

For instance, use the drone and ask for only that chore. IMHO, they don't know about reversal direction, like us, when in comes at you the opposite in ailerons but not elevator.

So do this, get 2 targets, 1 under the drone and the second about say 5 ft right in front. Ask the children to lift the drone, move forward and land the drone. on the target. Please take video to see what happens. Let them figure it out after you explain it. (Pitch)

Now move the 2nd target up 5ft and to the right by say 1 ft from 1st target. Explain how you need aileron and let them try. Now switch target to left so now they learn to use left aileron.

Now reversal, place drone 20 ft facing you and child. Put 2nd target 10 ft from you. Now have them try power up and move to target and land after you explain and they understand what is happening . Do it in little components and when there ready to fly, it will show. Protect the child(blanket) if it comes at you.

I use the confession method with students. After they try, sit down immediately and ask them the mistakes (sins they commited) not meeting the objective. Hence you see it their way, not yours. Your objective is to only move forward if they do accomplish the task.

I did that with my 6 year old son. For instance, once he had flying down, then explained what wind did with stall turns, flying down wind, and gusts etc. Until he understood(example flying a heli with no gyro and the effects of torque on the tail) he couldn't fly it.

Remember, no negative re-enforcements, or you lose that relationship with the children.

mayan

Legendary member
Watching the videos and having been in a father/son situation at age 6, I have an experiment for you to try..

Simply put, the concept hasn't sunk in. You need to break each step down into components.

For instance, use the drone and ask for only that chore. IMHO, they don't know about reversal direction, like us, when in comes at you the opposite in ailerons but not elevator.

So do this, get 2 targets, 1 under the drone and the second about say 5 ft right in front. Ask the children to lift the drone, move forward and land the drone. on the target. Please take video to see what happens. Let them figure it out after you explain it. (Pitch)

Now move the 2nd target up 5ft and to the right by say 1 ft from 1st target. Explain how you need aileron and let them try. Now switch target to left so now they learn to use left aileron.

Now reversal, place drone 20 ft facing you and child. Put 2nd target 10 ft from you. Now have them try power up and move to target and land after you explain and they understand what is happening . Do it in little components and when there ready to fly, it will show. Protect the child(blanket) if it comes at you.

I use the confession method with students. After they try, sit down immediately and ask them the mistakes (sins they commited) not meeting the objective. Hence you see it their way, not yours. Your objective is to only move forward if they do accomplish the task.

I did that with my 6 year old son. For instance, once he had flying down, then explained what wind did with stall turns, flying down wind, and gusts etc. Until he understood(example flying a heli with no gyro and the effects of torque on the tail) he couldn't fly it.

Remember, no negative re-enforcements, or you lose that relationship with the children.
I actually did that the previous time we went out, thanks for the tip though :).

So yesterday's one on one outing with my son didn't go as planed, and ended up with him telling me that he hates me, just because his sister went to her nephew and he didn't :(. We started off be flying his drone, which wasn't easy because his drone is a toy drone and can't really deal with high winds, but we tried any how. I think that's one of the reasons why I myself don't like drones to much, I might change my mind if I get the chance to fly a bigger more resistant drone though. I do have a tiny one that my son doesn't play with because its meant for indoors and I don't want him to fly it in the house and nor do I sometimes i'll take it to work and fly it there on a night shift.

I let him play with his drone for a while, and started setting up the repaired TT that I had brought with me because our time was short. We still had to go to the supermarket and pick up his sister, regardless to say that they still had to be fed and prepared to bed. He flew the two batteries that I had for his drone by then I was ready to start flying. I did a control surface check and went forward out to launch the plane (next time I need to let him do the check :)). The plan was to get the plane 3 mistakes high check trimming after the fixes and help him with the Tx like I did the last time. I was in for a surprise though, the plane flew horrible it kept pitching up and stalling to the right, so I trimmed the plane on its ailerons and rudder and tried doing the same for the elevator. Nothing really seemed to work so I brought the plane down and tried to analyze quickly, it seemed like the tail was crooked and leaning towards one side, tried twisting it and it seemed to look OK, so I tossed it up again. It did seem to fly better after a bit of trimming but was still pitching up so I brought it down again and taped a stone to the top of the nose hoping that will solve the issue.

Time wasn't in our favor by now but I still wanted him to have some stick time even if it was just a little. I tossed the plane up again and quickly did some more trimming, it wasn't perfect but way better than the first launch I did so I called him over and let him fly the plane. This time he had ailerons on which have way greater effect on the turn of this plane than the rudder does. I explained and showed him the difference and explained that he needs genetler moves and more counter actions to help it fly good. He seemed understand and became less aggressive with his stick movements. We flew, crashed and flew again for a while until I had to pack up and get on with things that we had to do. Here are some photos from the outing, a short video will be posted when I have a chance to edit the videos :).

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
I actually did that the previous time we went out, thanks for the tip though :).

So yesterday's one on one outing with my son didn't go as planed, and ended up with him telling me that he hates me, just because his sister went to her nephew and he didn't :(. We started off be flying his drone, which wasn't easy because his drone is a toy drone and can't really deal with high winds, but we tried any how. I think that's one of the reasons why I myself don't like drones to much, I might change my mind if I get the chance to fly a bigger more resistant drone though. I do have a tiny one that my son doesn't play with because its meant for indoors and I don't want him to fly it in the house and nor do I sometimes i'll take it to work and fly it there on a night shift.

I let him play with his drone for a while, and started setting up the repaired TT that I had brought with me because our time was short. We still had to go to the supermarket and pick up his sister, regardless to say that they still had to be fed and prepared to bed. He flew the two batteries that I had for his drone by then I was ready to start flying. I did a control surface check and went forward out to launch the plane (next time I need to let him do the check :)). The plan was to get the plane 3 mistakes high check trimming after the fixes and help him with the Tx like I did the last time. I was in for a surprise though, the plane flew horrible it kept pitching up and stalling to the right, so I trimmed the plane on its ailerons and rudder and tried doing the same for the elevator. Nothing really seemed to work so I brought the plane down and tried to analyze quickly, it seemed like the tail was crooked and leaning towards one side, tried twisting it and it seemed to look OK, so I tossed it up again. It did seem to fly better after a bit of trimming but was still pitching up so I brought it down again and taped a stone to the top of the nose hoping that will solve the issue.

Time wasn't in our favor by now but I still wanted him to have some stick time even if it was just a little. I tossed the plane up again and quickly did some more trimming, it wasn't perfect but way better than the first launch I did so I called him over and let him fly the plane. This time he had ailerons on which have way greater effect on the turn of this plane than the rudder does. I explained and showed him the difference and explained that he needs genetler moves and more counter actions to help it fly good. He seemed understand and became less aggressive with his stick movements. We flew, crashed and flew again for a while until I had to pack up and get on with things that we had to do. Here are some photos from the outing, a short video will be posted when I have a chance to edit the videos :).

View attachment 142206
View attachment 142207
View attachment 142208
View attachment 142209
View attachment 142210
Here is the video of me and my son flying, check it out.

3 days ago we also went to the field to practice flying, this time taking the repaired Simple Soarer for a first maiden after it's repair. It was too windy to fly but we did any ways, no video cause the footage was trash but here is a picture of the wing that folded in mid-air after which the plane crashed to the ground.

IMG_3791.JPG

Need to find a new plane for use to practice flying because all my trainers are broken :(. Think I need to build a new TT for him, maybe top it off with a bomb/parachute drop mechanism, we'll see.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Here is the video of me and my son flying, check it out.

3 days ago we also went to the field to practice flying, this time taking the repaired Simple Soarer for a first maiden after it's repair. It was too windy to fly but we did any ways, no video cause the footage was trash but here is a picture of the wing that folded in mid-air after which the plane crashed to the ground.

View attachment 143268

Need to find a new plane for use to practice flying because all my trainers are broken :(. Think I need to build a new TT for him, maybe top it off with a bomb/parachute drop mechanism, we'll see.
@mayan as always with you and your son, that was a beautiful thing! Honestly, who cares if the plane flew like crap. It's a darn TT. You can build them in your sleep now. ;)

As for the Simple Soarer? Some us have learned not to fly in too heavy of a wind. :whistle: Just sayin' :p

Thank you for sharing that with us. It's always a joy to see you with your son, teaching him to fly. There will come a day when you and he look back on it. You'll both be smiling, I think. :)