Teaser

Headbang

Master member
It really is only a handful of guys in our club that really hate on drones, most of the guys are either indifferent or curious. Thankfully the president is one of the more curious, and is level-headed to boot ;) I'd love to be able to set up some permanent stuff at the field, but there are only 2 of us that fly miniquads so getting anything like that approved will be a challenge. Actually having a good setup would probably help grow the club, but many of the grumpy guys don't want more members at all. These are the guys that automatically land when anyone else takes off. Thankfully they are rarely at the field when I'm there, just really outspoken at the meetings.
Yep, the club has issues. And even some of the old guys see it. Most everyone I talk to has the same opinion, which means it really is a very small group causing most of the resistance to new ideas. Sad part is, if we don't adjust our attitudes, the club will eventually die. We need new blood, and new blood likes things like quads and fpv. Will see what new level of grump happens tomorrow.
Interesting fact. Turns out 90% of the club has the same opinion, but are drowned out by the loud 10%. Last year I started to become louder, and found we started to have interesting votes. The 90% would vote for the thing I brought up (which was based on what they had said in a more private setting), the 10% would vote against and be shocked with noses out of joint. Moral of the story, voice your opinion, might be surprised on the outcome.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That is the exact reason I dont want anything to do with ama clubs if I can avoid them.

Maybe things will change when THAT generation of pilots starts dieing off.

My two contacts with clubs made me very biased from the flight line nazi screaming down a new pilot on a buddy box to a local club telling me flat out they didnt want anything to do with drones because they are unsafe.

The kicker for me was seeing a video of that club doing a mass free flight launch all in a huge close in group. Many with beers in their hands with planes diving everywhere into the pile of pilots and them morons laughing about it but I was automatically unsafe for flying a quad....

Headbang

Master member
That is the exact reason I dont want anything to do with ama clubs if I can avoid them.

Maybe things will change when THAT generation of pilots starts dieing off.

My two contacts with clubs made me very biased from the flight line nazi screaming down a new pilot on a buddy box to a local club telling me flat out they didnt want anything to do with drones because they are unsafe.

The kicker for me was seeing a video of that club doing a mass free flight launch all in a huge close in group. Many with beers in their hands with planes diving everywhere into the pile of pilots and them morons laughing about it but I was automatically unsafe for flying a quad....
LOL
Very first time I ever took a plane off, I was practising taxiing on a glow 40 sized trainer (might have been a kadet MK2). I was 16yrs old, had 3 beers into me. Accidentally took off! That was fine, even did 3 circles of the field while trying to figure out who was sober enough to take the sticks and land it for me!
One could wait.... or maybe it is time for new clubs. Clubs are going to be essential in Canada for flying anything soon. If there are that many quad guys out there (including the ones buying a quad at best buy!), it should be viable to start clubs that have a speciality. Of course it means leasing, buying, or getting land donated, developing the field to MAAC regs, getting the field sanctioned, figuring out maintenance, forming a charter, getting a bank account, electing executive, dealing with differences of opinion, ect. No non-profit is easy.
Best fields are the ones started by private individuals who open them up to clubs and people. Often these will have a small hobby store on site, some charge for camping, others are just a passion for the owner. Some of these fields are 40yrs old, have been passed down to kids, and are about to passed to a 3rd generation. No politics, no executive, no power struggle. Designed to just have fun!

In the end, I'm in Seans corner. Lets just have fun! I think I will build or buy a race quad just to get in the mix. I am getting into FPV fixed wing for sure! Can't like me and hate me at the same time! lol

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I think there is a racing club or 2 in Edmonton, and they used to have a track at the Meridian club. They still might, I never got out there. Our field is far enough, but thankfully close to work. My biggest problem is I'm just not a club kind of guy, I just like to fly. The last meeting I went to was by accident, I was out flying and a meeting happened... Ruined everything lol :D

This year I imagine will be mostly sub 250 gram quads in the usual haunts and chasing planes at the field. Everything else is Flight Club, and you know the rules. If you're buying goggles for fixed-wing you will also be addicted to quads in about 35 seconds, followed by 3000 crashes. Seriously consider a sim like Velocidrone or Liftoff, start off in acro mode and get the feel for it. Best way to endure 3000 crashes :)

Headbang

Master member
I fly camera platforms all the time. And when compass goes all wrong, which it does often due to the environment I am in, I end up turning off all stabilization. Never crashed one yet. I think I do ok due to 3d heli experience. But we will see! Just need to figure out a good starting platform.